bringing a chihuahua home to 2 cats...

superkali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hey everyone!

i have the opportunity to foster a year old, male, very timid chihuahua.
i have two cats, both a year and a half old, at home, a male siamese mix and a female domestic long hair.

could i have anyone's thoughts on adding a chihuahua to a cat-only household? my cats have never been introduced to a dog before... my cats, of course, are already my pets, and i want to ensure that this will not make them completely unhappy. i have read so far that chihuahuas and cats seem to get along well together. has anyone else had experience with this? would this be a very bad idea? advice? tips? thanks!

<3,
kali

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Read the intro stuff on here ... it will help alot... make sure the dog has its own space

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

superkali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i hope i didn't come across sounding as if i haven't done my research...

i have already read the basic information available on this site and on a few others, but was hoping for the input, opinions, and thoughts of others who have had experiences with varied pets in the same household.

but... thanks!

<3,
kali

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you know how the chihuahua is with cats? If he won't bother them a lot, I don't see how introductions wouldn't go well. I would probably leave him on a leash for the initial introduction. Your cats may or may not like him, it depends on how laid back they are.

I don't know a proper dog/cat introduction... I've brought other dogs home but I have two, so my cat Napolean was already exposed to dogs. He's naturally curious and laid back, so he likes other dogs coming over. He would come up and sniff the new dogs, I just make sure the dogs behave, especially if they aren't used to cats.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter has cats and a chihuahua, and they get along just fine. The big male cat, Pearl's brother even grooms the dog occasionally.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can imagine that they'd get along with cats as they'd be very non threatening. I would actually have some concerns about the cats injuring the dog.
I don't have personal experience of this though, it's just a thought that's crossed my mind when thinking about getting a dog, 'cos we'd be getting a small one too.

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once in a blue moon you will get a mean cat that will try and hurt small dogs but most of the time these sort of mixes work out really goood

The tinydog which is smaller then they are wont be viewed as a threat and they will accept it fast as its not a very intimidating animal

you also said the dog is timid well that sounds even better they will probably co exist perfectly

I dont know your cats but im assuming like most cats out there they have sweet natures lol

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has a chihuahua which she brings over to my house now and then and we all have fun watching Persi the cat and the chihuahua playing together, although the chihuahua is nothing but timid. Perhaps if they had to live together all the time they would be different but they seem delighted to see each other when they do.

newcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A chihuahua, even in a dogfight, will usually not do any injury to most things. I have brought in various rescue chihuahuas, and have never had ONE problem. .Well, exept maybe my alpha cat, ( who LOVES small dogs) will sometimes harass them fos a day, and if they try to chase her, she will stand her ground and slap them! A cat will only put up w/ just so much from a small pet. MOSTLY the cat is the instigator!! You should do very well.

tammy123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Roxie is not a problem at all. We would love for her to be in our family. That sentence sounded awful. My problem is introducing her to our family and keeping her feeling loved and safe,

tammy123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That did not come out correctly. Roxie is not a problem. I am! I need some guidance in small dogs and introductions to the home. I want her to be healthy and happy in a home that will love her, and I hope it is us!!!!