Bright lights and cats eyes

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the carriers I have. Bigger the better. Cat cannot get hurt in there. my 7 pd cat has to be in in a large carrier since she grabs the sides. Glad I didnt buy 2. I can only get my cat Maggie in it
20191114_213810.jpg
20191114_213755.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is one of the carriers I have. Bigger the better. Cat cannot get hurt in there. my 7 pd cat has to be in in a large carrier since she grabs the sides. Glad I didnt buy 2. I can only get my cat Maggie in itc
Would this type of carrier be escape proof? His face is a little better but he's limping so if there is no improvement by Monday he may have to see the vet next week.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I believe that they are as they zip and have heavy duty mesh. My friend uses it for her pet who is very hard to handle when it comes to the vet.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Would this type of carrier be escape proof? His face is a little better but he's limping so if there is no improvement by Monday he may have to see the vet next week.
Also mesh. It zips on top and the entrance

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks as I said his face is better now , When my brother put it in the hard metal plastic carrier it freaked out breaking the lock at the bottom of the door and leaving bits of its face on the metal bars. My brother sent me a photo it's quite upsetting especially when you are only trying to help.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This can absolutely happen when you are trying to help cats in this kind of situation. It is upsetting but don't give up on him.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok ask the vet about Gabapetin, no the carrier wasn't soft the cat weighs about 21 pounds it's currently in the shed and I can see via the camera its face is swollen so much so it can only see through slits due to swelling. Appetite is still good.
I had to look it up. 100 grams is equal to 4 ounces. How many calories and carbs are in on pack? Curious because he doesn't get much exercise

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This can absolutely happen when you are trying to help cats in this kind of situation. It is upsetting but don't give up on him.
I won't even though I'm 40 miles away II continually have the camera feed from the shed on in the corner of the screen , currently it's 2..31AM and the cat is asleep under his 100 watt tungsten bulb

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You really are his friend and it sounds like he needs you to watch out for him. You are doing a great job despite the 40 miles

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going now?
I'm getting there I suppose I got a soft carrier and sent it to my brother to see if he can get him to the vet because he is only getting around on three legs and his weight may be a problem he is never full up, when he's not in the shed warming himself under the 100watt bulb he's on the patio yelling for more food. The cats I have just stop when they are full and never eat to the point of becoming fat

photo of him with face stuck in food bowl as usual
weighton.jpg

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good about the carrier - I hope it works to help him from hurting himself! Not sure what to make of the constant eating, but when your brother gets him in to the vet, he might ask the vet about checking for parasites in his stool and if he has them if that could cause the over eating. If your brother can swing it, financially, he might want to ask for a fecal PCR which would check for not only parasites but for any viral/bacterial infections that might indicate an issue, and maybe even shed some light on the eating. This poor cat is likely ill with something. :sigh: I hope they can do as many tests as is possible to see how well he really is doing.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good about the carrier - I hope it works to help him from hurting himself! Not sure what to make of the constant eating, but when your brother gets him in to the vet, he might ask the vet about checking for parasites in his stool and if he has them if that could cause the over eating. If your brother can swing it, financially, he might want to ask for a fecal PCR which would check for not only parasites but for any viral/bacterial infections that might indicate an issue, and maybe even shed some light on the eating. This poor cat is likely ill with something. :sigh: I hope they can do as many tests as is possible to see how well he really is doing.
I hope there is a simple reason for the overeating because he has started to put on the pounds now ,trouble is if my brother rations him he will wander off to the places where he has begged for food in the past

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@richio1 Any chance of an update? Is he neutered? If not, that might be the cause of his fighting. When I was a child, we had unneutered tom. He was a fighter. After a few years, his cheeks were hard as rocks, since they were split scare tissue by then.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Positives. My brother took the cat to the vet last Friday, the vet was concerned about his leg/paw and gave him pain relief and a antibiotic injection that's suppose to last for day's. The vet also administered a parasite control solution (see negatives) and a follow up appointment was arranged to check on the progress of the leg and discuss neutering.

Negatives. The cat exceeds the max weight stated on the parasite treatment because the vet didn't have anything else in stock. The carrier was trashed first by him pooing in it and smearing it everywhere and on the return journey escaping from the carrier and running amok in the car. On return home the cat disappeared, on his return two days later he refused to eat the food spiked with his pain relief (metacam) and now chooses to take his food from a neighbor. Because he found the vet visit traumatic he is now impossible to approach so he will miss his follow up appointment.
Oh the vet also gave him a naughty mark on his record for bad behavior

A few more positives, He is using his leg again and still using the shed at the bottom of the garden as shelter.

Photo of him in shed today sorry still haven't worked out how to capture a decent image from the camera feed
backagain.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! Glad to see he went to the vet and got some treatments. Sorry, it turned out to be such an ordeal for all involved. If you think he needs the pain meds, maybe the neighbor would be willing to give it to him? So, his apparent weight gain is related to parasites? Since he didn't get the dosage he should have had, what did the vet recommend to do? There are OTC treatments, once the vet says it is OK to administer them, that can be given to him in his food as well.

I don't know what feeding arrangements you brother has, but if possible make sure he keeps providing food for the cat - I think he will eventually 'get over' the vet visit and seek out food from your brother once again. So, your brother just has to make sure it is available when he is ready to accept it again.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The flea/parasite treatment is for cats 7.5 kg max the cat weighs more than 9 kg the vets suggests administering the next two doses at three week intervals not the stated one month interval (4 weeks) i am not very happy about this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is the treatment product name? You could look on line for the ingredients in the treatment and see if you can find a comparable one that is OTC. There are some products that initially can be used more frequently than the standard monthly interval -so, perhaps this product is one of those?

If the vet was merely out of the proper dosage, why would they not contact your brother when they got it back in stock rather than sell him the wrong amount to be used again? I would have him take back the unused ones he paid for and ask for his money back and whether or not they plan on restocking the one with the proper dosage. He could also ask what alternative products are available that he could get in the correct dosage.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will ask my brother for more details on this product perhaps I can get the correct dosage from somewhere. My brother had to pay for 3 treatments because they are sold in packs of 3 or 6