Breeds in my mixed breed kitten?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable! I would describe her as a brown mackerel tabby domestic shorthair.

Small ear tufts like these don't indicate any particular breed ancestry, and are seen on both longhaired and shorthaired cats. Some of my cats over the years have had small ear tufts, and I know for sure that my cats do not carry the longhair gene or have Maine Coon in their ancestry. Very large ear tufts might suggest Maine Coon ancestry, but small tufts can appear on any cat. They are cute!

Most cats aren't any particular breed, and also aren't mixtures of breeds, unlike dogs... so for most cats, it's not really correct to use the term "mixed breed." Cats without known breed ancestry are simply known as domestic shorthairs or longhairs. This doesn't mean they are any less special, however... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BettyLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks so much!
You will see later on, when he is adult, if he is any look alike to an established breed. This is often difficult to see on kittens.
Also, if he gets biggish there is a higher probability he does has an Ancestor from one of the big breeds.

Look. Taking an example from my breed, the Russian blue. We KNOW the purebred rb kittens are rb kittens. But if we dont know, they dont look very much alike typical rb when small kittens. They could easily be taken for sweet moggies kittens.. But when adults, there isnt much doubt.
Its as in the saga about the duckling whom become a swan...

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taking an example from my breed, the Russian blue. We KNOW the purebred rb kittens are rb kittens. But if we dont know, they dont look very much alike typical rb when small kittens. They could easily be taken for sweet moggies kittens.
You must have very different looking Russian Blues in your country if they look like moggies when they are kittens. Here in the US, one would never confuse a Russian Blue kitten with a moggy kitten, they look totally different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BettyLou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will see later on, when he is adult, if he is any look alike to an established breed. This is often difficult to see on kittens.
Also, if he gets biggish there is a higher probability he does has an Ancestor from one of the big breeds.

Look. Taking an example from my breed, the Russian blue. We KNOW the purebred rb kittens are rb kittens. But if we dont know, they dont look very much alike typical rb when small kittens. They could easily be taken for sweet moggies kittens.. But when adults, there isnt much doubt.
Its as in the saga about the duckling whom become a swan...
Thanks for this reply!