Breeding Highlanders (Highland Lynx)

aaspenssabbat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.

I am currently in the beginning stages of learning about breeding and genetics in cats.
I will be working with the Domestic Highlander/Highland Lynx breed.

They are a very social, friendly, and outgoing breed that is a combination of the Jungle Curl and Desert Lynx. Their features include curled ears, bobbed tails, and polydactyl paws, and they are usually larger than the average Domestic cat.

I have some questions for breeders—not necessarily breeders of this specific breed, but that would be a bonus!

My questions and inquiries are following some information:
** Cats I work with are Health tested and meet proper requirements. **

1. Working with a pure black Domestic Short Hair x Siamese Female (long-tailed) and partnering her with a Purebred, long-haired "orange" tabby Highlander male (features bobbed tail, polydactyl, curled ears—breed standard male) to begin (there is a lack of Highlander females where I am and we must start somewhere).
> They are partnered and the pairing results in a healthy pregnancy and delivery of two healthy babies.
> Female is a "Tortoiseshell" carrying her father's curled ears and polydactyl paws. Long tail.
> Male is pure black carrying his father's curled ears (less prominent than his sister) and polydactyl paws. Long tail.

> Male will most likely be a breeder when he is of age.

> The male has the father's genetics, as well as the mother's genetics. The father's genetics are the genes we want to preserve and carry forward (bobbed tail, polydactyl, curled ears, temperament).

Questions:
1. If partnering the male with a Queen in the future, will his father's genetics (features and temperament) be prominent and show up in that litter?
2. Line breeding: I have heard a lot about this and I know some breeders breed offspring back to parents (mother to son, daughter to father).

> Is it recommended, if I want to preserve these genetics, to breed him back to his mother?
If bred back to his mother, would his offspring carry more of his mother's features?

3. If I choose the route to not Line breed, and choose another Queen (hopefully a Highlander), will his father's genes prevail?

I am very new to genetics in cats and the way these things work.
In my area, I have no one to mentor me, except for a breeder a couple of cities away (breeder of the father) and they are not active in online communities so communication is difficult.

I want to learn and have not found any resources that answer my specific questions or give me mucu information about breeding and genetics or about breeding this specific breed.

I appreciate any kind answers and feedback and guidance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Let me see if I can find a member who is online who might be able to help :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me say that I am totally unfamiliar with your chosen breed. I am also not so great with genetics other than my color class of Persians (silver and golden),but I will attempt to help. As for getting the characteristics you want I would think it would depend on if it is a dominant gene or not. Some believe temperament comes from the sire, but I have not seen any scientific evidence of that but I kind of agree because of my prior stud and his offspring. Try this link, it may help answer some questions. https://cfa.org/basic-feline-genetics/
Books can offer help too. Here is one that dives deep into the subject : Robinson's Genetics for Cat Breeders and Veterinarians.