Breeders

TerrieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanting to purchase a kitten from someone in Tulsa Oklahoma buy the name Linda Jevery is she reputable?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TerrieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my 1st time doing this the kitten is 3 months old a munchkin short hair I offered to put a deposit down by cashier's check they said no. They only use Zelle or cash app and I have read about scammers using these apps. Going to get the kitten is not an option for me I live to far away.

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a Google image search on the photo, and the identical photo appears on expired kitten sales advertisements listed in Pittsburgh PA and in Germany. It's pretty common for scammers to steal pictures from other kitten ads, and pretend that they have the kitten for sale. So my guess is that this is probably a scam, and they do not even have the kitten in the picture to sell you.

If you are looking for a kitten or cat from a breeder, it's important to take your time finding a good responsible breeder. It can take time to find the right breeder, but you will be much happier in the long run. Another good option would be to adopt a kitten or adult cat from a shelter or rescue.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It does look very suspicious. I would suggest you look for a breeder closer to home or adopt a kitten from your local shelter instead. If you're going to pay a lot of money for a pedigree kitten it would be much better to buy from a breeder you can visit, so you can see the mother and father cat and make sure the kittens are healthy, being raised in a suitable environment etc.

Shelters sometimes have pedigree cats that have been surrendered because their owners can no longer care for them. Non pedigree kittens make wonderful pets too.

TerrieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did a Google image search on the photo, and the identical photo appears on expired kitten sales advertisements listed in Pittsburgh PA and in Germany. It's pretty common for scammers to steal pictures from other kitten ads, and pretend that they have the kitten for sale. So my guess is that this is probably a scam, and they do not even have the kitten in the picture to sell you.

If you are looking for a kitten or cat from a breeder, it's important to take your time finding a good responsible breeder. It can take time to find the right breeder, but you will be much happier in the long run. Another good option would be to adopt a kitten or adult cat from a shelter or rescue.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

TerrieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It does look very suspicious. I would suggest you look for a breeder closer to home or adopt a kitten from your local shelter instead. If you're going to pay a lot of money for a pedigree kitten it would be much better to buy from a breeder you can visit, so you can see the mother and father cat and make sure the kittens are healthy, being raised in a suitable environment etc.

Shelters sometimes have pedigree cats that have been surrendered because their owners can no longer care for them. Non pedigree kittens make wonderful pets too.
Thank you for you help and reply

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're already received excellent advice above but will add a few things if you're set on a purebred cat.

Reputable breeders will be open and willing to give you the information you request. While some might not be quick to answer, due to being busy (running a cattery can be very time consuming and many also have full time jobs/families to contend with also) they will eventually be in touch and answer your questions.

Most will have a website although I've noticed these days some have dispensed with that and only use Facebook. Perhaps due to the cost of maintaining a website - I know the breeder we got our Maine Coon from hadn't updated her website in a couple of years and the only reason I knew about her was I'd met her a few years ago and had the foresight to look her up elsewhere. The good thing about having a full site is that they will usually be chock full of information; pedigrees of the males and females in their cattery, available kittens, info on their cattery, business practices, pricing, expectations, etc.

You can find some reputable breeders by researching on the The International Cat Association (TICA) and Cat Fanciers Association (CFA) websites. Caveat being it's still up to you to make sure the breeder you choose is up to par with good practices.

Take your time - don't rush. Learn about the breed you want first, enough to know what a good looking kitten pet quality should look like and what the average price for one is. For instance, if it's $1000, and you see one for $425, well right away you know something is NOT right.

And never use a backyard breeder. You just do not know what you are getting, and if what you're getting is healthy, well socialized or even will be there when you get there.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And one more thing about payments.

The breeder we got our Luna from, took our deposit via Paypal. I had no problem with this because I already knew her reputation was good; she's been around for decades (plus a famous person has one of her cats) so I trusted to send her cash. Also, she isn't the kind of person who did home visits - we picked Luna out because we fell in love with her photo and she happened to be available and honestly, I didn't care if we met her or not because we wanted her no matter what; the breeder was keeping her until 16 weeks so we knew she'd come to us very well socialized (which, she was). I paid the balance in cash also when we picked her up and had no problem with that either. Again, perhaps if I didn't know this breeders reputation I might have been more cautious but for us, this was a good first time experience.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most will have a website although I've noticed these days some have dispensed with that and only use Facebook. Perhaps due to the cost of maintaining a website - I know the breeder we got our Maine Coon from hadn't updated her website in a couple of years and the only reason I knew about her was I'd met her a few years ago and had the foresight to look her up elsewhere. The good thing about having a full site is that they will usually be chock full of information; pedigrees of the males and females in their cattery, available kittens, info on their cattery, business practices, pricing, expectations, etc.
It is not necessarily a positive sign when a breeder maintains an elaborate web site that is "chock full of information"... especially when a lot of the web site is devoted to information about kitten sales, with pictures of available kittens. This can be a sign of a breeder whose focus is primarily on making money through overpriced kitten sales.

Lots of excellent breeders do not have a web site or Facebook page. I haven't had a web site since the early 1990s and I do not post anything public on Facebook. I already have too many people interested in kittens, and I prefer to keep a low profile.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is not necessarily a positive sign when a breeder maintains an elaborate web site that is "chock full of information"... especially when a lot of the web site is devoted to information about kitten sales, with pictures of available kittens. This can be a sign of a breeder whose focus is primarily on making money through overpriced kitten sales.

Lots of excellent breeders do not have a web site or Facebook page. I haven't had a web site since the early 1990s and I do not post anything public on Facebook. I already have too many people interested in kittens, and I prefer to keep a low profile.
Thank you for adding this, of course there are excellent breeders who do not advertise. I should have mentioned this too, I know of a couple via the breeder we used.

I did add a caution, however, being as many can be taken in by flashy sites and it does take time and knowledge to weed out those who are in it for the money vs those who genuinely love the breed and are seeking to improve, not just push out kittens ( or puppies as the case may be)

"Caveat being it's still up to you to make sure the breeder you choose is up to par with good practices."

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also suggest visiting a show to meet breeders of the breed you are interested in. TICA allows Munchkins I believe, but the CFA does not recognize them. Learn what genetic disorders can be tested for in the breed and ask for copies of the paperwork - not just take their word that it had been done. Above all, don't rush. Don't buy from your heart (I know that is difficult!). This is a major purchase so think about it and consider the kitten before committing. The kitten will be with you for years so make certain you get the right one. I speak from experience - I let my heart rule on a kitten and even though the kitten physically is everything I could want, temperament wise the kitten turned out not to be what I needed. I love him anyway, but if I had listened to my head and not my heart I would have passed. I spent several thousand dollars on a show cat that I can't show. I know you are looking for a pet, but it still applies - head first, then heart.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also suggest visiting a show to meet breeders of the breed you are interested in. TICA allows Munchkins I believe, but the CFA does not recognize them. Learn what genetic disorders can be tested for in the breed and ask for copies of the paperwork - not just take their word that it had been done. Above all, don't rush. Don't buy from your heart (I know that is difficult!). This is a major purchase so think about it and consider the kitten before committing. The kitten will be with you for years so make certain you get the right one. I speak from experience - I let my heart rule on a kitten and even though the kitten physically is everything I could want, temperament wise the kitten turned out not to be what I needed. I love him anyway, but if I had listened to my head and not my heart I would have passed. I spent several thousand dollars on a show cat that I can't show. I know you are looking for a pet, but it still applies - head first, then heart.
Great suggestion. We did this. Met the breeder initially several years ago at a show. Really liked the quality of her MC's. Kept her in the back of our heads. When we got put on the list of another breeder who was 2 plus years out (and we are still on their list, I'm loathe to remove myself from it because I admire not only their cats but their dedication to the breed), I again looked her up.

After speaking w/her via phone we learned that the annual cat show was again coming up, and happens to be near our home so we went in order to meet her in person and re-introduce ourselves. It was a smart thing to do as we were able to get some one-on-one time, and she was able to see we were normal people lol. She wasn't showing this year (2019), she was actually in charge of helping run the show but one of her previous clients was there showing a cat they'd purchased from her and I was able to have a really nice conversation with them about the breed, their experience with dealing with the breeder, raising their cat etc. It made me a lot more comfortable with going forward with our purchase although I already was ok with it - but seeing their cat up close and how well socialized she was, plus seeing the 2 cats the breeder had there just to show them off in general, not for any prizes, was a great way to be able to judge the overall temperment/quality of the cats she's raising.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sounded terrible when I talked about my cat- I love him to pieces, I am just very disappointed that I can’t show him. That is one of the reasons I got him. He is my dream show cat from top lines with nationally winning cats. I do want to say he is a total sweetheart at home, just an absolute brat at the shows. I should have gone with my gut the day I brought him home. He acted out very badly and I questioned his ability to be shown then. His breeder assured me he was just frightened ( which I knew) and would be fine. In the back of my mind, I was uneasy about show temperament. Most show cats are frightened when they go to their new home, but don’t try to bite.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Don't buy from your heart
Buying from your heart may be fine, is even often the recommendable, but its the rule of thumb for picking an adoptee at a shelter... Or from the occasional litter from your neigbour or a farmer nearby. Because you cant take them all, and you must choose. In both these cases you practically have just a few minutes to choose and decide.
In such circumstances, picking by heart is great, and if you are also chosen by that animal - its a very promising bet you had got yourself a winner for you, and vice versa. :)

(Im digressing a little now, but a memory arises: this rule is true also when you are hiring a horse at a hire horse stable... I got always much better results with a barely riddable horse whom I liked, say a heavy work horse whom was friendly but really not suitable for any dressage, than with a well educated horse where I didnt had any mental connection with. The horse I liked and loved I could always ride two classes above mine and the horses actual skill niveu... :) ).

But buying a purebred for 1000+ dollars is another thing, especielly if you want to successfully participate in shows and or breeding... But even a purebred just for family pet must be considered deeply. You dont want to have the feeling of had beeing cheated, or choosed wrongly, even if you hopefully do afford the lost money. Because this could easily send negative vibes for the cat, and the cat doesnt deserve you have negative vibes about it because of others faults.

Not even to mention, you dont want to feed the troll, nor the thief, nor a BYB.

Ps. This remark isnt for Posiepurrs, who knows all this by heart, its for our readers. Many do read our posts, not even being registered forumists.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. Most show cats are frightened when they go to their new home, but don’t try to bite.
Yeah. The show judges usually do understand a cat may be nervous, and do have some leniency for this. At least on the lower niveus before the finals begins. After all, its not easy to be a fully fertile cat in a hall full with other fully fertile cats... And a totally new milieu.
Of course, a well behaving cat gets recognition for this...

But a biting cat, or otherwise violent, is a red flag. Such a cat gets immediately send away in disgrace... and its of course not fun for the owner, especielly if its an established breeder / Show participant...
You can get red over face and neck for less. :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. The show judges usually do understand a cat may be nervous, and do have some leniency for this. At least on the lower niveus before the finals begins. After all, its not easy to be a fully fertile cat in a hall full with other fully fertile cats... And a totally new milieu.
Of course, a well behaving cat gets recognition for this...

But a biting cat, or otherwise violent, is a red flag. Such a cat gets immediately send away in disgrace... and its of course not fun for the owner, especielly if its an established breeder / Show participant...
You can get red over face and neck for less. :)
This is so true, but I see it at every show. Cats who really should NOT be there because they are stressed beyond what they can handle. My cat never bit a judge because I realized he hated the show halls. I am very disappointed that I can't show him, but his happiness is more important than a few ribbons. I will not show a cat that could be a danger.