breeders experience with FIP

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm looking for feedback on the effect of FIP on catteries.

This is following an email I got from a breeder who disagreed with what I said in the FIP article about FIP being the breeder's nightmare.

comradekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anne et al: Different breeders do different things when it comes to any illness in there catteries. Many will go ahead and continue to breed when they have had FIP - they will spend horrendous amounts of money testing and retesting to find the "carrier cat" - loosing kittens and selling kittens that later die of this horrid disease in another persons home. Are they wrong? I am not the person to judge there thoughts. I had one confirrmed case of FIP - lost a second cat to the same symptoms a month later - these were older cats not in the FIP age range - I stopped breeding - I have altered almost every cat I have - why? because I do not want to watch another animal die of FIP or ever get a phone call someone's beloved pet is dying from FIP. I could not live with myself - am I wrong in closing? Some have said yes I was. I do not second guess my decision as it was the right one for me. SOme are working with vets to try to find out more about this disease. Some have said I gave up - I don't think so. Without knowing what was sent to you I hope this helps a little. Linda