Breeder that doesn't have a long wait for kittens?

AaronCotton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are there breeders that have kittens available immediately? If so, any suggestions on how to find them?

The background: for the next few months, I'm working from home, but after that, I go back to work. Between my wife and I, we'll still be able to give the kitten lots of loving attention, and one or other of us will be able to work from home most days, so the kitty won't get left alone. That makes now a really ideal time to get a kitten.

The reason we're interested in a breeder is to get a kitten with really predictable traits. Our family had cats when I was a child, that didn't come from a breeder; but this time around, we think having the benefit of a predictable breed is really important. In case it matters, we're looking for American Shorthairs.

I made some calls to breeders around this area, in California, and it's been pretty discouraging; they're talking about putting a deposit on a kitten from mothers who are pregnant now, which means actually bringing home the kitten six months out, or more. I was aware this is common in the puppy world, but I didn't realize cats were like this too! But maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most breeders at this time do have longer waiting lists than they usually would. A lot of people during the past year have had the same idea that it was an ideal time to get a kitten while they were working from home. I've had hundreds of people contacting me... You can keep trying different breeders and hope for some luck... someone may have one available, or they may know another breeder who has one.

I would also suggest that you consider looking for an adult cat... either a retired adult from a breeder, or from a shelter or rescue. An adult cat is already grown up, so it's more predictable what you are getting, if that's what attracts you about a pedigreed cat. It can be hard to find a kitten available immediately (even shelter / rescue kittens have been in short supply recently in many places), but there are always lots of wonderful adult cats needing homes.

Andi2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have found a lot of kittens available through various sites on FB and other Social media sites - it really depends on what breed you are looking for. There are a lot of scams out there too so you have to be careful - usually you can join the members only pages by answering a couple of quick questions and then once accepted doing a search in the group for certain key words like "California" if you only want to stay local. I have had two of my cats delivered via flight nanny from Florida to Texas and the other one my hubby volunteered to road trip to Mississippi for. I dont personally like to have waiting lists as when I do have kittens most people have already found a kitten elsewhere or ignore emails all together, or respond weeks later and I have to say, sorry those babies are already rehomed.