Breeder selling a HCM pos Sphynx

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This person is in a sphynx site I am in and is looking for her first sphynx.
She is looking for a retired breeder.
A breeder offered a HCM Pos sphynx that is 4 years old.
I told her do not get the cat but all these other people say go for it.
These people are not breeders and know nothing about the breed.
This breeder told her HCM meds are cheap and the cat is 4 years old.
My friend Brooke spent alot with Harold and now Nelson has it.
Drath Vader Cleos competition is dying from HCM also and he just turned 1 last Oct.
I am so mad right now and hope this person does not make a mistake and take this cat just because other people say to.
I only refer people to breeders I trust.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Can you PM her with your concerns? Include links to sites that will give her a better idea of what HCM really is.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps they are prepared to take care of a cat with this condition? At least the breeder is being upfront and saying the cat has HCM, they are not hiding it. Could the breeder be getting medicine cheaper and then passing this saving onto the new owner? 2 sides to every story...

Some people just won't listen, you can do your best to provide accurate facts and direct them to good breeders but unfortunately the ultimate choice is theirs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would tell the person to research HCM before they make a final decision so they know what to expect and what medical costs might be involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sent HCM info to this person and emails from breeders that are willing to talk to her about HCM.
They lost cats to HCM.
This person said she lost her 15 year cat and her kid became very upset and her other cat became depressed.
I did not ask her who the breeder is.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, the sick ones need homes to. A cattery might not be the best home for a cat with a heart condition. The breeder is being honest about the condition, but the prospective buyer of course need to read up on the condition and on the treatment before deciding to offer this cat a new home or not.

brookesphynx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went and read the thread Jacky is talking about. Everyone on that other forum is encouraging the pet buyer to take the HCM+ cat, because the breeder told her the medication is cheap. They say this breeder is being honest with her. My opinion is that either the breeder doesn't just doesn't have any experience with HCM, or the breeder is being very misleading.

Yes, the heart medication is cheap, but that's the ONLY cheap thing about caring for an HCM positive cat! Monthly vet visits, twice-yearly echocardiograms, late night ER visits when the cat goes into congestive heart failure... My first sphynx had HCM. I spent $4,000 trying to save his life and he only lived 3 months after he was diagnosed. Nelson was diagnosed just over a month ago, and his vet bills have already exceeded $1500. I can't put a price tag on the heartache, and I can't count the tears.

The pet buyer originally contacted the breeder looking for a retired adult because she can't afford to buy a kitten. She was looking for a lower cost way to get a Sphynx. This sweet kitty certainly does deserve a loving home, no doubt about it - but if this pet buyer can't afford to buy a $1,000 kitten, there's absolutely no way she'll be able to give this sick cat the care she will need!!

The pet buyer also goes on to explain that when her last cat died, her other cat went through a major depression and that her son, who has Autism, had a really, really tough time dealing with the loss. All those things considered, I hope she decides not to take this on, for the sake of both cats and the little boy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brooke,
I warned her but she does not listen.
Last I heard was she was going to get the cat anyway.
I even offered to have her talk to my mentor.
I was going to send her to you also.