Breed?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm putting this question here because I know it's a pure breed cat and don't want people who know nothing about pure breed cats randomly telling me what it might be.

I was at our annual CFA show today and this cat was one that was waiting to be judged. I shot it while it was half asleep, so could not assess body and head shape or size.

I'd like to label my photo properly. I forgot to notice the label on it's cage or if it was even there. Earlier I had found a Tonkinese with a Maine Coon label; someone, obviously forgotten to replace the label.

I think it might be an Applehead Siamese or another Tonkinese, but not positive. Appears to be pointed, chocolate with blue eyes. It was not a slim cat, that much I could tell.

Thanks!
CFA 071622 02.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S/he is pretty dark colored in the body and I don't think that occurs in siamese , so I'm thinking Tonk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
S/he is pretty dark colored in the body and I don't think that occurs in siamese , so I'm thinking Tonk.
Thanks. After thinking about it, I suspect you're right. We were looking at the other Tonks and talking to their breeder about how old they were, and she pointed "over there" and mentioned her other one was 11 months now. Must have been this chocolate one she pointed towards.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous cat, and nice shot too!
Thanks! I took a bunch of pix. I forgot how hard it can be to shoot at a cat show with so many people crossing in front of you, let alone, cats moving around. I'll probably upload them here soon.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My first thought was Burmese. The eartips are too pointed for the Burmese, but they're too pointed for most breeds, including tonkinese. It won't be a siamese. The body is too dark and traditional or appleheaded siamese are not shown in CFA. Which show did you go to?

Could it be one that was shown as a Household Pet?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought was Burmese. The eartips are too pointed for the Burmese, but they're too pointed for most breeds, including tonkinese. It won't be a siamese. The body is too dark and traditional or appleheaded siamese are not shown in CFA. Which show did you go to?

Could it be one that was shown as a Household Pet?
I thought Burmese at first, but I don't think blue eyes are standard.

All the cats in that area were breeds, no domestics. They have adoptions in a totally separate area.

Could be the household pet area for pure breeds, so maybe it just wasn't to standard.

I'm hoping CFA posts pix of the show. I've seen some already on Facebook but this cat isn't there (yet).

EDIT: It was the show in Edison NJ

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You're right about the eye color, but the pointed ears still bother me. I looked at the Tonkinese Breed Presentation on the CFA website and the picture at the top of the page does have one cat with pointed ears, even though the standard says "oval tips".

The only CFA show I've been to that benches breeds together is the International Show. Most shows bench according to exhibitor preference. For example: I show both Abyssinians and Household Pets. I usually travel with a friend who shows HHPs and we request benching together. The two years I didn't have an HHP to show I was still being benched with her.

I'm rarely benched with other Abyssinian exhibitors, but I usually find them and can point them out to people who ask. My club benches all the club members together at our show (unless someone specifically asks to be benched with another friend) and then start working on benching requests. Negative benching requests are not allowed, but you get to know who should be put in opposite corners of the hall.:whistle: :argue:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're right about the eye color, but the pointed ears still bother me. I looked at the Tonkinese Breed Presentation on the CFA website and the picture at the top of the page does have one cat with pointed ears, even though the standard says "oval tips".

The only CFA show I've been to that benches breeds together is the International Show. Most shows bench according to exhibitor preference. For example: I show both Abyssinians and Household Pets. I usually travel with a friend who shows HHPs and we request benching together. The two years I didn't have an HHP to show I was still being benched with her.

I'm rarely benched with other Abyssinian exhibitors, but I usually find them and can point them out to people who ask. My club benches all the club members together at our show (unless someone specifically asks to be benched with another friend) and then start working on benching requests. Negative benching requests are not allowed, but you get to know who should be put in opposite corners of the hall.:whistle: :argue:
I wonder, if it just appears to be pointed since the cat was laying down, and it's ears kind of look like they are pointing somewhat down in position, not alert?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I checked the Breed Summary for that show and there were 3 Tonkinese entered. That doesn't tell you how many were there or who the breeder(s) was.
Ok pretty sure then it was the Tonk since the breeder did mention she had 3 in the show, 2 in one cage and the other alone, in another row.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
So you're thinking Euro Burmese rather than Tonk? There were 4 Euro Burmese entered in the show.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't even know Euro Burmese (edited) was a thing! Oy I need to look that up now LOL