Breed Of My Cat?

andyandfriends

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
3B218802-4EED-4750-ADF8-E70A0644D74D.jpeg 3A3CC9AD-3D5B-4278-9C7F-BFF9918AAF73.jpeg I’m just signed up, so I am not quite sure where to post this. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me the breed of my cat? I have had so many people tell me different answers and can never find a definitive answer. Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really isn't a way for us to give you a definitive answer on that. The thing is, the differences in cat breeds, with a few exceptions, are very subtle, and even experts can't be entirely sure. Unless you have papers on a cat, it can be a mystery. NOW, however, if you are really determined, and have the available funds, you can have DNA testing done on your cat to determine what breed or mix of breeds he is! The one I trust most is Cat Ancestry - FAQ, which is the University of California, Davis Veterinary Genetics Lab. For now, all we can say for sure is that he is a Domestic Short Hair (DSH), which covers a multitude of tomcat sins! OH...just looked at that very floofy tail again...call it Medium Hair.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Of course Mamany is correct, but there is a lot about your furbaby's head and face, and the profile from the forehead down the nose, that makes me think of Havana Brown.
There could also be some Turkish Angora influence--I'm not sure about that, but maybe...
What a gorgeous cat!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andyandfriends

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There really isn't a way for us to give you a definitive answer on that. The thing is, the differences in cat breeds, with a few exceptions, are very subtle, and even experts can't be entirely sure. Unless you have papers on a cat, it can be a mystery. NOW, however, if you are really determined, and have the available funds, you can have DNA testing done on your cat to determine what breed or mix of breeds he is! The one I trust most is Cat Ancestry - FAQ, which is the University of California, Davis Veterinary Genetics Lab. For now, all we can say for sure is that he is a Domestic Short Hair (DSH), which covers a multitude of tomcat sins! OH...just looked at that very floofy tail again...call it Medium Hair.
thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are very welcome!

Now that your question is answered, don't be a stranger to us! We're very happy to have you and your beautiful cat here at TCS. AND, if you do get that DNA testing done, I, for one, would love to know what breeds went into his makeup! He's GORGEOUS!

OH, and feel free to go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourselves to the community! Um...what is your cat's name? I keep saying "he," am I actually insulting a very pretty girl?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andyandfriends

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome!

Now that your question is answered, don't be a stranger to us! We're very happy to have you and your beautiful cat here at TCS. AND, if you do get that DNA testing done, I, for one, would love to know what breeds went into his makeup! He's GORGEOUS!

OH, and feel free to go here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourselves to the community! Um...what is your cat's name? I keep saying "he," am I actually insulting a very pretty girl?
He is a boy! His name is Andy!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI, ANDY! My dad was named "Andy," and would be so honored to have such a beautiful cat bear his name. Dad adored cats. They used to flock to him when ever he was near them. Darnedest thing I ever saw. Even the local ferals would come up and sit by his feet in the back yard.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was blessed with my father. And as I said, he would be honored to have such a magnificent cat bear his name!