Breed mispronunciations

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ocicats is a word rarely said correctly by people looking at the breed, usually they say Aussie-Cat or Okky-Cat but last week I had a call from someone calling them Octi-cats.
I'm a little worried he'll be disappointed they only have 4 legs

A friend who breeds Aby's gets a lot of Abyss-nian enquiries. She also has Burmese, that's always said correctly.

I'm sure there are other breeds that get mispronounced.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Ocicats is a word rarely said correctly by people looking at the breed, usually they say Aussie-Cat or Okky-Cat but last week I had a call from someone calling them Octi-cats.
I'm a little worried he'll be disappointed they only have 4 legs
I really hope he's not expecting you to be the Octo-mom!...

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people call Bengals, bangles. I know that is Nial's favorite.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Star, you beat me to it!

We usually correct people with Ocicat. The VET wrote down Aussiecat for Charlie when we first took him in!

Maybe I need to "label" the pictures as "Ah C Cat" for the correct pronouncation - another version is O See Cat (I've heard too).

I think I've always pronounced it as Ah C Cat since I first saw them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We say it as Oss-ee-cat, like Ocelot.

I just remembers Americans don't say Aussie correctly, to us Aussies it's said as Ozzie.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aside from the "Bangles" people, I also get the people looking for "Ross-ed-ed"
cats.
And of course there are always the occasional, "how did you guys get a bengal tiger to mate with a domestic cat?" questions.

"Well, sir, the first thing we did is get the domestic cat really drunk........."

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost as bad as someone (a Maine Coon breeder) told spectators that the Cornish Rex was from crossing cats and sheep!

He also had the nerve to say that Cameo Maine Coons were very rare - only 4 of them registered. My friend that specialized in cameos and silvers almost fell out of her chair laughing so hard when I told her.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He also had the nerve to say that Cameo Maine Coons were very rare - only 4 of them registered. My friend that specialized in cameos and silvers almost fell out of her chair laughing so hard when I told her.
Make that two friends. Except I'm not on a chair, I'm on the floor about to deliver kittens.

Silver MCO's are probably almost as popular in NZ as Brown Tabbies now! And the 2007 N/S Cat of the Year was a Cameo MCO!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Cameo colors - reminds me of butterscotch poured over the cat. If I ever got a longhair cat (which I won't cause I hate the grooming) it would be a cameo Maine Coon.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I love the Cameo colors - reminds me of butterscotch poured over the cat. If I ever got a longhair cat (which I won't cause I hate the grooming) it would be a cameo Maine Coon.
Yeah I love them too. This is what I'm hoping and wishing for in this litter.

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a cat breed, but I used to have a Samoyed, (Magic, long since passed the bridge) no one including me knew the correct way to say the breed name. I said it Sah-moyed, dog shows announcers said Sammy-ed.

(I didn't show her, just watched dog shows on TV)