Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mix Breed

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to open with this, i love my cat no matter what his breed, im trying to find out only so i can be the best cat mummy i can be by ensuring he has all he needs to suit his potential breed.
So, this is Alfie ( The Great ;) ). 2 months ago Alfie was roaming the streets with no home until an amazing charity found him and took him to their shelter. Less than a week later, my parents who volunteer at the cattery saw Alfie and knew exactly where his forever home would be, with me, so they came straight to me and told me about him, i contacted the chairty and ararnged to go visit, as soon as i saw him i knew, i knew he was going to be my fur baby.
After being snipped and chipped we went to pick him up and brought him home (3 weeks ago).
My parents, who own a smaller sized maine coon, gave him a quick look over and thought he was most likely at least half coon (webbed toes).
A few days later, another maine coon owner suggested he looked more like a Norwegian Forest Cat and a couple of NFC owners have agreed. i know other than gentic testing theres no sure fire way of knowing, im not putting him through that as i love him no matter what, just wondering what you guys think. He is somewhere between 1 & 2 years old, very tuffty toes, gaurd hairs, thick coat, mane and his meow isnt the normal meow a moggie would have, he does sound very coon like but i have never heard a NFCs meow.

He does seem to have the straight nose on profile...hard to get a pic of him like that lol
20170920_090010.jpg
20170910_232931.jpg
20170920_090010.jpg
20170910_232931.jpg
20170919_185520.jpg
20170902_110620.jpg
20170902_134327.jpg
21752915_10155453008126210_3581830477970518034_o.jpg

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. Alfie is one beautiful cat and you will have someone give their opinion soon. He does remind me of my Chubchub who the experts think is part Siberian.

IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0251 (2).JPG

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Roguexx Roguexx (and Alfie, of course) - At the outset, welcome to TCS. This great hulking hairy thing lovely kitty shows the triangular facial planes of a Norwegian Forest Cat (ChubChub, that great hulking hairy thing beautiful fellow is - literally - 'cheekier,' has rather rounder planes, and the Siberian's more distinctly broadened muzzle).

A word of advice - don't get too chummy with Phil - mightyboosh mightyboosh - he has a Big Breed addiction. Thankfully, he's far up in the Peaks District, and you're down in the land of the Exeter Book.

;)

Alfie is positively stunning, you know. Have you an idea yet of his age and weight? I'll most cordially invite you to post photos of Alfie to this thread when your time allows:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

There are more than a few TCS members who're positively enamoured of the Big Breeds. Personally, I can't abide 'em - great hulking hairy things, eating their way through one's larder like ninth century Vikings at the Siege of Paris. Here's my little Bob - a Norwegian Forest Cat. You can make your comparison and draw a pretty fair conclusion from that, I think:

bobandwhitetip.jpg

bobandscottie.jpg

Bob's finished his end-of-fifth-year growth spurt (they do everything slowly except for eating), and seems to have finished at 112cm nose to tail, and a shade over 35 pounds.

Welcome aboard!

Edit: how stupid of me to ask his age when you'd already noted that he was doubtless between one and two years. The wolves who raised me never taught me to read, you know....

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
I personallhy believe his closer to 1 than 2, i have had cats in the past (tuxedo) and he is very kitten like in his nature. i attempted to weigh him, wiggly thing.... i got a reading of 4.3kg.
When he came to me he was skinny beyond belief, i have bulked him up by allowing him to free feed from a continuous dry food feeder and have ben giving him wet food (and of course treats because he deserves it) and his put on loads of weight and looks so much healthier, attached is before and after shots, just for you ;)
20170825_125145.jpg
20170825_125200.jpg
20170919_212820.jpg
20170919_100746.jpg

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
you two have really made me giggle :D

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself think on Siberian or Maine Coon - the NFC less probable. They tend to have quite typical triangular somewhat prolonged faces. No rule without exceptions - I have also seen pedigreed MCO whom could pass for NFC...
And vice versa. :)

He seems to be black and silver colored no? That coloration isnt very common among the moggie gene pool, so its a strong indicium our Afie DOES has some Ancestry. Perhaps a natural son to Alfred himself? The momma participating must of course also been quite handsome in her days. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Alfie is a very nice Norwegian Forest Cat lookalike! Maybe Maine Coon also, his face seems like an inbetween of the NFC triangular and square Maine Coon. Absolutely gorgeous!

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
his meow isnt the normal meow a moggie would have, he does sound very coon like but i have never heard a NFCs meow.
I am not sure what is "the normal meow a moggie would have". We once had a Norwegian Forest Cat named William. He lived from 1970 to 1982. (I don't know how much of a pure NFC he was - this was before NFC was a registered breed.) William was very vocal. As he got older, it would get "worse". When he was 10 or so he would give long speeches every time he showed up for food. He was also a great actor. He was the best friend I have ever had - I still miss him.

Tell us more about Alfie's meow if you can. And, I hope I don't sound pushy, but have you tried to comb or brush him? Looks like he could need some fur styling.

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ Alfie is all shades of brown with a little black for definment lol, he actually has a social media profile under Alfie_TheGreat_ just because my little king deserves everything ;)
abyeb abyeb I see his pic next to his coon uncle (my parents coon) there isnt much difference at all. They seem pretty simular from what i have been reading, so i think ill just mix the two together and see what suits him best (toys / food ect), pics attached are 'uncle' Jake, a smaller maine coon
20170803_144929.jpg
20170803_144850.jpg

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
ReallySleepy ReallySleepy the typical cat meow (moggy meow) compared to the type of meowing you get from a breed such as a coon.
Alfie is brushed daily, his just a messy cat, bare with me, i only brought him home on september the 1st, we will get there.

ReallySleepy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alfie is brushed daily, his just a messy cat, bare with me, i only brought him home on september the 1st, we will get there.
I'll bear with you. :lol: He does look a little more "couth" in the latter shots.

To some extent he reminds me of my niece's Sebastian, which I have mentioned before, which is a bona fide NFC.

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
ReallySleepy ReallySleepy if you mean the pictures attached to my last reply....thats my dads Maine Coon who point blank refuses to allow a mere human to groom him.
The photos of my Alfie with the blue bowl infront of him were taken at the shelter before he came home with us, the rest have been since.

Roguexx

Cat Mummy
Young Cat
Purraise
**UPDATE**

so Alfie has had a bit of a growth spurt, hs now weighs just shy of 5kg and is about 50% taller and longer than he was when we got him, mr greedy has a continuous dry food feeder and eats around 2kg of dry food a week along with 2 wet food pouches a day. He has learnt that play is fun and rewarding and he follows me litterally everywhere, i cant even go to the loo without him opening the door and waiting for me.