Breed And Gender Of New Kitten?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a female to me! Ask your vet when you bring him/her in for vaccinations. The 'legs' on her M on her froehead are lighter, makes her look like she's wearing a little cap. Beautiful 'bullseye' tabby! She would be described as a classic/marbled black and silver domestic shorthair. As for breeds that may be mixed in her, you may have to study them, especially the Siamese, and see what breed she has the personality of. Siamese/Oriental breeds are 'talkative', loyal, stubborn, and very active. They also have larger ears and a longer muzzle, somewhat like your girl. Sometimes the background is so mixed and diluted, it is very hard to pinpoint any certain breeds. But that is good, it also gives her some characteristics of many and so makes her stronger. She is very beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like a female to me! Ask your vet when you bring him/her in for vaccinations. The 'legs' on her M on her froehead are lighter, makes her look like she's wearing a little cap. Beautiful 'bullseye' tabby! She would be described as a classic/marbled black and silver domestic shorthair. As for breeds that may be mixed in her, you may have to study them, especially the Siamese, and see what breed she has the personality of. Siamese/Oriental breeds are 'talkative', loyal, stubborn, and very active. They also have larger ears and a longer muzzle, somewhat like your girl. Sometimes the background is so mixed and diluted, it is very hard to pinpoint any certain breeds. But that is good, it also gives her some characteristics of many and so makes her stronger. She is very beautiful!
Thank you. So far this kitten has been quite playful and spunky. I tried to get better pictures of the markings on this little one, definitely seems like she's got a good mix to her. I guess time will tell when kitty gets older.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe your cat as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. She is lovely! I don't see anything about her that would suggest specific breed ancestry; most cats are not any particular breed.
She would be described as a classic/marbled black and silver domestic shorthair.
To me she appears to be brown tabby, not silver tabby, although it's possible that she is a "tarnished" silver tabby. Silver tabbies have black stripes on a white or nearly white ground color. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a beige or light brown ground color; on the belly and chin, some brown tabbies have a light ground color that may be nearly white. Although sometimes it is difficult to tell in a photo, the owner can determine for sure if a cat is a silver by parting the hairs and looking at the base of each hair. A silver tabby has white or off-white at the base of each hair, with color only at the tip.
As for breeds that may be mixed in her, you may have to study them, especially the Siamese, and see what breed she has the personality of. Siamese/Oriental breeds are 'talkative', loyal, stubborn, and very active. They also have larger ears and a longer muzzle, somewhat like your girl. Sometimes the background is so mixed and diluted, it is very hard to pinpoint any certain breeds.
Unlike dogs, most cats are not mixtures of breeds. They are simply domestic cats without any specific breeds in their ancestry. Personality traits are not a reliable indication of breed ancestry... lots of cats are talkative, active, etc. and this doesn't necessarily indicate Siamese/Oriental ancestry. There is a lot of variety in the domestic cat gene pool.

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would describe your cat as a brown classic tabby domestic shorthair. She is lovely! I don't see anything about her that would suggest specific breed ancestry; most cats are not any particular breed.

To me she appears to be brown tabby, not silver tabby, although it's possible that she is a "tarnished" silver tabby. Silver tabbies have black stripes on a white or nearly white ground color. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a beige or light brown ground color; on the belly and chin, some brown tabbies have a light ground color that may be nearly white. Although sometimes it is difficult to tell in a photo, the owner can determine for sure if a cat is a silver by parting the hairs and looking at the base of each hair. A silver tabby has white or off-white at the base of each hair, with color only at the tip.
Unlike dogs, most cats are not mixtures of breeds. They are simply domestic cats without any specific breeds in their ancestry. Personality traits are not a reliable indication of breed ancestry... lots of cats are talkative, active, etc. and this doesn't necessarily indicate Siamese/Oriental ancestry. There is a lot of variety in the domestic cat gene pool.
Yes, she's definitely a brown tabby! I got a better picture of her back last night
I love how she has swirl/bullseye on her sides and her back is straight lines

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Classic tabby is a beautiful pattern! It is one of the most ancient coat color mutations known in the domestic cat.
You might find this short video interesting. At the beginning it discusses what we know about cat domestication, and then it talks about how cats with the classic tabby mutation spread through human settlements, presumably because humans found this pattern to be so attractive :)
Cat domestication: From farms to sofas

naquack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's most definitely not a female. It is a male. You can clearly see the pouchy area that is the scortum.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of girls have that, especially tabbies (idk why, maybe it's an illusion of the coloring). A male just wouldn't have that large of a genital opening :dunno:.

The scrotum is between the anus and genital opening, and she doesn't have anything there.

But, yes, the OP should have the vet confirm when kitty goes in for her vaccines, nothing is better than a professional having a first-hand look. (Although, I have heard of a few instances when the vet was wrong. . .)

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's most definitely not a female. It is a male. You can clearly see the pouchy area that is the scortum.
Like W Willowy said, lots of female kittens have puffiness in that area. There would be a much larger space between the two openings if she were a male (because the testicles need room between the anus and urethra). Also, she's got a slit instead of a dot, which W Willowy also said.

Beebster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like W Willowy said, lots of female kittens have puffiness in that area. There would be a much larger space between the two openings if she were a male (because the testicles need room between the anus and urethra). Also, she's got a slit instead of a dot, which W Willowy also said.
That's what I thought. There should be more space between if this kitty was a male, so that's why it had me second guessing from what we were originally told by the person we got her from.