Breathing rate of 40-50 breaths per minute

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 month old male kitten Finley has a high rate of breaths per minute while he sleeps. I first noticed it on Saturday. I had Feliway plugged in for the second time (I had it in a couple days before that, but unplugged it) when I counted him at 54 breaths per minute, way over the 20-30 the Internet suggested. I unplugged the Feliway and am no longer using it, I'm worried he may be sensitive to it.

I called the emergency vet since it was a Saturday and my regular vet had closed. (I do have a regular vet appt on Friday.) The emergency vet said to keep counting and over the next 20 minutes, see if his breaths decrease. I told the vet there were no other symptoms (no sneezing, although he does sneeze occasionally but it's not a lot, no eye boogers, no wheezing, no open mouth or labored breathing.) It's like he's a perfectly normal cat except he breathes rapidly.

Over the next 20 minutes, I counted his breaths many times. He continued to sleep happily. Once he stopped purring, the rate dropped by a few. It went to 48, 44, then 36. I can tell by watching his little sides that he may just be a heavy breather. Is that something that just happens sometimes? We're going to the vet in 3 days, just wanted some education and reassurance in the meantime.

Other things that may be important:

There's another cat in the home, 3 month old Walter. They are not litter mates.

Both were adopted on Friday the 11th of this month. Their first vet visit was scheduled the following Friday, but cancelled and rescheduled to this Friday due to the vet having a family emergency.

Finley was a stray before he was brought to the shelter I adopted him from. It's been a couple weeks since I looked at his paperwork (it's at home and I'm not home right now) but I believe it said he did have an upper respiratory infection. He was medicated and had a week in foster care before he was cured and ready to go into the shelter. I know the physical signs of an upper respiratory infection, and he doesn't have them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new and I don't know how to edit, but I meant to post this too: I didn't like Feliway. My cat's didn't really need it, they got used to the home and each other with scent introductions, my research and doing it "correctly", etc, but I was worried about them fighting while I wasn't home so I decided to use it anyway. The first time I plugged it in, I could hear it, I could sort of smell it (the smell of warm plastic, not cat pheromone haha) and I read reviews about it burning up the outlet, leaking out, all sorts of horror stories. I kept an open mind, knowing that the angriest voices speak the loudest, and decided to only keep it plugged in while I was home. It was only the second time I plugged it in that I noticed Finley's breathing. Those two things probably aren't related, but I wanted to remove any changes I had made recently to see if it was environmental. Now I just don't want to use it anymore. The kittens are happy, they sleep a LOT, they play, eat, urinate and defecate normally, so I don't see a need for it burning up my outlet 😂

Finley was 3.7 lbs as of Sunday the 11th at 2 months and 3 weeks old. Going by one pound per month, assuming he's 4 lbs now, (he'll be weighed Friday) he may be one pound overweight. Is this too much weight for a kitten? Do you think that could be effecting his breathing? My other one is skinny (naturally- he eats just fine.)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, you do want to discuss this with your vet when they go in, but I don't think it is a crisis situation at all, since his breathing slowed back down. How does he look? Is he a little pudge-ball? If not, that probably isn't the cause. I did think of one thing, though. Cats dream. They also have nightmares. He may have been responding to something he was dreaming about. Has it happened at all while he is awake?

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's good to hear. Even at his regular rate of 40 ish, he's still on the high end, but it did slow back down at least. I can always see him breathing when I look at his sides. He isn't a huge kitten, but he's solid. He was 3.7 lbs at 2 months and 3 weeks. He's a little bit ahead of where he should be, but I have to ask the vet if a 1 lb difference (they're supposed to be 3 pounds at 3 months, I read) is a big deal or not. I'm researching nutrition in case he does become a fat in the future.

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to add- my other baby Walter dreams so differently than Finley does, it never occurred to me he could be dreaming! Walter twitches, his third eyelid shows a little, and his mouth makes slight suckling motions in his sleep, it's adorable. They're both so different. I think Finley's a heavier sleeper too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may just be a very solid kitten. It is almost impossible to overfeed a kitten that age, as they are so active. And if he sleeps very heavily, he may not twitch when dreaming...or it would seem so to me. Do talk with your regular vet about it, though, just to ease your mind. If he isn't doing it ALL THE TIME, it isn't a crisis situation, but do make an appointment for him to be seen. You can discuss his weight, his rapid breathing, and just cover the bases.

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely, thank you very much! I refer to him as my "fat squirrel", but he is in reality just a solid kitten. I'm looking forward to seeing the vet to learn more.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when you count the number of breaths, make sure the kitten is asleep very deeply, preferably few hours after he's fell asleep, when he sleeps so deep that he's kind of unresponsive ;-)
I agree with Mamanyt that it's almost impossible to overfeed kittens, they should eat as much as they want as they develop greatly. Once they are older, you can consider feeding them wet only which is usually better at controlling weight (and it's considered better in general, because of moisture it contains which is important especially for male cats). But right now, I wouldn't worry about this, if you feed them high protein, low carbs diet, they should be ok with unlimited access to the food.
Congratulations on having them!

Finley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I am researching nutrition, so I can make sure I give them good quality food! I prefer wet food myself, I love how much they like it, and I even like the smell, even though that's probably weird. 😂

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When cats sleep and especially with kittens, they can breathe irregularly. If it slowed down and there are no other symptoms I wouldn’t worry. Purring can also really mess with trying to count breaths, if cats are in a certain sleep stage they may breathe faster sometimes, and when kittens fall into that super super deep sleep where they flop around and act like they’re dead they may breathe more slowly/erratically. I think you’re ok!