Breathing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody, Yanny wasn't eating 2 weeks ago and losing a lot of weight, so I took her to the vet. She was put in clavamox, prednisolone and an appetite stimulant. Worked great for few days and when I lower the dose (as prescribed) she went down again. Now vet doubled the dose of prednisolone and put her in a different antibiotic. Almost 2nd day with this and tonight she seems very uncomfortable, I haven't been able to sleep almost anything since her breathing feels heavy, and seems that no position is comfortable enough. She is almost 15 y/o and is in felimazole due to hyperthyroidism. Any word of advice? Please pray for her, she is my baby girl, we've been very close since she was 2 months old, and what I read in her eyes is killing me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course all this is happening after losing my job and can't find a new one, money very tight, but I will do anything for her.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're going to have to go back to the vet. She really doesn't sound too good at the moment. A steamy bathroom may help bring her temporary relief from the congestion, but it's by no means a cure. I'm assuming they've checked that her heart and lungs are ok - difficulty breathing can be a symptom of chf.

Mega :vibes: that she feels better soon.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, we had a terrible night since she was uncomfortable, now she's sleeping much better, and I'm exhausted! but I'm watching her sleep and my heart is filled with joy seeing her breathing better. Dr. said her heart sounded normal, her lungs seem to have some fluids, she is in zeniquin and prednisolone.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah...the fluid on her lungs will definitely be affecting her breathing. I've had a cat with that issue, and currently have a dog who is prone to it (both due to chf). A diuretic should really help her with that - its what I've always been given for them in this situation. Definitely worth asking your vet about.

Last edited:

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear this.  Did the vet mention congestive heart failure at all?  Fluid in the lungs could suggest this, and there are some possible meds that she could be on to treat it a little, although it is a tricky thing.  Diuretic was mentioned above, this is typically furosemide (lasix) just as is given for humans.  If it is truly CHF though she may also be a candidate for using a dog med for CHF, brand name Vetmedin, which has seen some promising use in cats with CHF.

The breathing trouble is most likely what makes her not eat and the fluid is likely the cause of the breathing trouble.  I am not a vet but just judging only by what you've said I personally would be looking more into the fluid/breathing issue.  It's not uncommon for hyperthyroid cats to eventually have heart trouble.  I don't know enough to know if the vet thinking her heart sounded normal effectively rules out CHF or not.

Background:  I cared for a hyperthyroid cat who later needed treatment for kidney disease and we had to try to balance that with treating CHF.  Trouble breathing was persistent in causing Amber to avoid eating, even through various appetite stimulants.  Amber was with me from just a few months old as well so I understand all that for sure.  I hope you are able to find a treatment regimen that buys you a little more time.  It could be a rough ride though. Hang in there.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Columbine, 2bcat thank you very much for your comments! And 2bcat I don't care if it get a rough ride, I will do anything for my baby girl; she's been holding my heart on her paws since the very first night she slept with me hugging my arm, her legs were so tiny she only was able to reach half of my arm, but that was more than enough for me, I was totally in love with my baby girl. When I'm sick she doesn't leave my bed, not even to eat, so the least I could do, is give her the best I can. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking CHF too, but I'd have expected her to have a heart murmur if that was the case. Either way, diuretics will definitely get that fluid off her lungs and help her feel better.

She sounds an absolute sweetheart - I can see why you want to fight for her. You clearly have a very close bond, and that is always special. Hoping she improves soon :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please pray for my Yanny, she's in the respiratory chamber at the vet. She's almost 15 y/o, her heart rate seems normal, her lungs too, but her breathing got worse last night and took her to the emergency hospital. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your sweetie.  It's so hard when they're older and develop health problems.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Indeed it is very hard, I have an older cat, we had our fare share of "time is coming to say goodbye" to him; but Yanny in general has been pretty healthy, and I can't understand why this is happening. Yes, age sucks! but so all of a sudden? I am in so much pain, to have to leave her at the vet, I hate that! but doctor said that if she saw me she would get excited and would want to be with me, and she has to rest in order to breath better the oxygen. We've never been apart when either of us were sick, I don't want her to think that I abandoned her.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: She won't think you've abandoned her. Don't torture yourself that way.

Oxygen can make a huge difference. I hope it helps your girl quickly. There are meds she can have to help stop this getting so bad in future - I've already mentioned diuretics, but inhalers (steroid, bronchodialator or both) can really help too. It all depends on the root cause.

I know how rough it is to be in this position. Know that you're doing everything possible for Yanny, and she knows it and knows she's loved too. Get well soon Yanny :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for your words, they help a lot. I know we have to find the root of the problem, unfortunately no tests can be done until her oxygen levels are way higher. Also, I rather take her to her doctor who knows us for a long time, the one at the emergency vet might be one hell of a doctor, but his bedside manners are horrible, he is totally an A*********e. If it wasn't because Yanny's doctor told me about the very good doctor the other guy is, I wouldn't have left her at all. 

Also I am extra sensitive since I've been up since 4:00 am trying to help my baby girl to breath, till I just got in the car and went to the hospital.I know I should rest, but I can't, I always sleep with her in my arms, since she was a little kitten. Just praying for Yanny's health, just praying for her to come back home to feel better in mommy's arms.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It makes perfect sense for her regular treatment to be with the vet you know and trust. That's exactly what I've always done - emergency treatment with who I can get, but all follow ups with the vet the who knows the animal best.

Hang in there honey. I know how much it hurts :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much to all of you, this site means so much to me. I've been able to find answers, to share knowledge and experiences. But the most special thing to me, is that I know that people in here, know and love cats the real way, the way I do, and care for them even more. Thank you for your words, for your support, for been here 

ps.- Yanny is the black beauty queen in my profile picture. White one is Lucky who's about 20 y/o already used all of his lives but still kicking tails 

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How's she doing today?  If you think about it, when you see her again at the vet's take a used towel that has your scent on it for her to sleep on.  That will have the scents she's familiar with and will help reduce her stress.

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave Yanny my t-shirt to have with her while away from home. After checking the xrays, she had only 1/4 of lung semi clear. She could not breath outside the oxygen chamber... I could not bear seeing her suffering,fighting for some air. Good Lord my heart has been ripped from my chest! I was with her until the very last second after the injection, and even after that I brought her home, just in case she could hear or see anything. I placed her on my bed next to me giving her all my love until I fully knew she was totally gone. A friend offered me her butterfly garden to bury her. I feel that half of my heart is buried with her. I wanted to keep her longer, but I loved her way too much to be that selfish, to see her struggling for air was too much. Thank you all for been here. God Bless You! 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, no. I'm so, so sorry honey. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
You gave her a wonderful life, and she knew for sure that she was loved right til the end.

:rbheart: Rest in peace Yanny, you gorgeous girl :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.