Bread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
muffy muffy Rick's mom dearly loves homemade bread and rolls. Whenever I make any kind of bread, I slice a couple slices, spread a wee bit of butter on them and wrap them up and take them to her. I put a little apple butter in a small container, so she can use as much as she wants. She loves it.
neely neely The honey butter is simply butter with a bit of cinnamon (to taste) and a good drizzle of honey. If it's not sweet enough for you, add just a little bit of sifted confectioners' sugar and mix it in well. My BIL liked it so much that he took the bowl of honey butter home, along with several rolls.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I pulled out a recipe for ”Burlap bread” that I used to make every Sunday years ago. It has bran cereal, molasses and oatmeal in it and makes this sweet dense bread. It’s probably at least twenty years since I made any kind of bread but can’t wait to make this one again.

Arya Underfoot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do love baking my own bread, although I've been a bit lazy of late. I usually go for a wholemeal base and might add some seeds or grains. I tried sourdough once, it had a nice flavour but was a lot of work and didn't rise well. I have a kitty shaped tank loaf pan that I regularly use, the novelty has yet to wear off.
DSC_1821.jpg

DSC_1822.jpg

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I pulled out a recipe for ”Burlap bread” that I used to make every Sunday years ago. It has bran cereal, molasses and oatmeal in it and makes this sweet dense bread. It’s probably at least twenty years since I made any kind of bread but can’t wait to make this one again.
That sounds decadent!

Arya Underfoot Arya Underfoot That is adorable!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds decadent!

Arya Underfoot Arya Underfoot That is adorable!
Here you go, this is for a single loaf

2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 ounce yeast - 2 pkgs
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup all bran cereal
1/2 TBS salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup molasses
1 TBS butter

Mix dry ingredients including yeast and set aside. In sauce pan heat water, molasses and butter until warm. Butter doesn’t need to melt. Mix into some of the dry ingredients and slowly add remainder. After that knead, let rise and bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester We were in Costco today so I could, among other things, get a 25 pound bag of KA flour (for $18 and change.) Shelved near it were small (about 6 pounds but I have a cat in my lap so cannot get up to check) bags of KA double O flour supposedly for making pizza. Priced about $8. A woman was looking at them. Could tell she really wanted to buy one but was on tenterhooks for some reason. I told her we each should get one (as I put a bag in my cart) because next time we came back Costco was likely to not have it. Let me add that neither of us had ever see the OO flour at Costco before today.

She did get a bag. And I got her email address so I can send her my pizza recipe, also no knead bread and no knead rye bread recipes.

Good, pleasant happening.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
susanm9006 susanm9006 Thank you! That bread looks so good!

C catapault That last time we were in Costco, they didn't have KA flour; I was very disappointed. That's an excellent price, too. I've tried KA's OO flour and it makes a good pizza! Kudos! And kudos for sending her your recipes! I'll have to check other Costco stores; I'd be willing to travel (a bit) for KA flour. My SIL gets it at a store in her neighborhood for $41 for a 50-pound bag. A 5-pound bag in our grocery store was $8! Even Gold Medal flour (my second choice of flour) is almost $5 now.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Did you ask at customer service why there was no KA flour - if they don't usually carry it maybe you can convince them that they should. Because clearly other Costco stores do have it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I did not ask, but will next time we go down. My son has a Costco in Lancaster; he's going to check there next time they go. If the Lancaster store has it, I'll gladly make the trip. Go on a Saturday, grab the flour, visit with the kids, and then come home. It works.
But I've looked online at several warehouses now and can't find it in central/southern PA. Failing that, I may just start using Gold Medal again.
denice denice I've used 00 flour and it makes good pizza dough, too.