Bravo Basics Frozen Raw

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is anyone here feeding the Bravo Basics frozen raw, or any of the frozen raw formulas from Bravo? They have a Turkey that's just meat, organ and bone. I don't like the bone but I'm looking at it as a possible option if turkey continues to be scarce for a while. Local pet store carries the Bravo.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's certainly not appropriate as a main meal. Missing a lot of vitamins and nutrients. Bone is also the 2nd ingredient. I appreciate that they separate it out from the meat but I'm willing to bet that they are using too much bone. This leads to constipation and if your cat is older it will hurt the kidneys because bone has high levels of phosphorus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's 10% bone. I don't feed bone with the raw food I make for Gizmo. Again, I'm not thrilled about the bone in the Bravo basics.

I supplement with Alnutrin with eggshell calcium. I would have to get some Alnutrin without the calcium if I ended up trying the Bravo. But I'm just looking at the Bravo as an emergency option right now in the event that the shortage I'm seeing here with Turkey continues for any length of time. Right now it looks like I have 2-3 months worth of meat in the freezer. On top of that I have probably 3-4 weeks that I have already prepared. So, I'm ok for now.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only ever fed some sort of complete Bravo frozen food, some years ago, so I'm not sure if they even make the same stuff now. But the cats didn't like it. I'd definitely try to avoid 10% bone if at all possible. (It sounds like that's your preference, too, darg darg !) If you do need to use the Bravo, though, I'd definitely contact the company to find out what exactly you'd need to supplement it, just to be absolutely sure that the Alnutrin wouldn't give too much of something. OTOH, maybe that would be just right so you wouldn't need the liver? Happy thought there? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only ever fed some sort of complete Bravo frozen food, some years ago, so I'm not sure if they even make the same stuff now. But the cats didn't like it. I'd definitely try to avoid 10% bone if at all possible. (It sounds like that's your preference, too, darg darg !) If you do need to use the Bravo, though, I'd definitely contact the company to find out what exactly you'd need to supplement it, just to be absolutely sure that the Alnutrin wouldn't give too much of something. OTOH, maybe that would be just right so you wouldn't need the liver? Happy thought there? ;)
Yeah, looking at it as a last resort. Only if I cannot source Turkey for down the road. The shop owner feeds it to his dogs. Alnutrin without calcium would work out (since alnutrin also is liver free) but again, I'm only looking at Bravo as a last resort.

I didn't expect the apocalyptic type mass hysteria that led to the store shelf emptying that's going on so I'm trying to think a bit longer term for Gizmos food now. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people are hoarding some of the things that they are hoarding. But aside from paper goods and the larger bottles of water, it looks like my local stores are starting to catch up (knock on wood). Still no Turkey thighs today but they had drumsticks and wings. It may be getting better. Hopefully. We'll see.

Thanks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, at least it's not an awful option! Bravo is decent, it's only that bone that would concern me.

It seems like a lot of the problem is supply issues rather than outright hoarding. The grocery stores where I live don't always have salt-free turkey to begin with so with just-in-time inventory it doesn't take much to sell out. That's apparently what happened with toilet paper, too: grocery stores in particular just don't use much space for storage. I used to work in the supermarket industry and remember being surprised at how little space "out back" was used for storage even back in the late '80s/early '90s. Based on newspaper articles I've read, that's a big, even huge, part of what's causing these supply issues. The stores just weren't ready. When that's combined with the levels of anxiety we're seeing now, the whole thing collapses.