Brandy's last update

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to put this in the rainbow bridge forum..... not yet. She's still with us, for one more week and on Sunday July 12, we will help her across the bridge.

For those who don't know:

This was Brandy last year at 9yrs old

diagnosed with an inoperable tumor on her nose. I was told 3-6mos.

June:

Me and Brandy July 2008

Nov. 2008

Dec 08/Jan 09 Brandy and my daughter Kendra

Feb 2008

April 2009

my baby made it longer than the predicted 3-6mos. We had followup xrays done to see where the tumor was going. Info here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brandy

In May I got scared because it started growing rapidly. Thread here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ghlight=brandy (some of the same pics as in this thread )

By the end of May, beginning of June, the tumor started wrapping around the front, under her nose.

We started antiinflammatories for pain, they didn't seem to change her behaviour any, so we went to painkillers..... again, they don't seem to change her behaviour. She has problems eating a hard treat, but she'll do it anyways. She didn't act sick at all. She doesn't whine, whimper, limp, anything...... What she does do is sneeze, snort, and try to rub her nose on the ground.

The nose rubbing has increased
over the last 2wks. I can understand why though.

She's yawning in the next pic

Our vet said one of the following would happen: The tumor would go into her eye, the tumor would split the skin, or the erosion in her mouth would cause her to stop eating and alot of pain when she does try to eat.

As you can see in the pics, the skin under her nose is starting to split. The really sh!tty thing is, she's still acting fairly normal... She still does normal Brandy stuff, and she eats wet food, and if it weren't for this damned tumor she would be FINE.

Someone, something, sure is testing me these last couple of months...I hope I've proved myself.

I'm doing right by Brandy....she will not suffer horribly. I guessed I am blessed in that I am able to end it before the horrible pain starts.... but I don't feel blessed, more like cursed at having to end her life early BUT I know it is the right thing to do.

anyways, I'm using this thread to prepare....to post random posts on her, her silliness, her life, or just cry because I know her days are numbered.

Thanks for reading.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Chris! This is too much pain for your family at once. I'm so sorry, please enjoy your time with Brandy over this next week. My thoughts will be with, the girls and Mark.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby. It's amazing what an animal can tolerate, isn't it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.

Originally Posted by mrblanche

Poor baby. It's amazing what an animal can tolerate, isn't it?
Indeed it is.... My animals never cease to amaze me.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your love has helped her beat the odds when your vet told you 3-6 months. She is a beautiful girl and so lucky to have you as her mom.

from all of mine to all of yours.

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. Although Brandys life is going to end to early...at least she has had a life filled with lots of love.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.

Brandy has been with me for 7 out of 10yrs of her life. Prior to that she was with my mom... prior to that, she was a pound puppy.

Brandys story starts off with: My mom and I went to the pound when I was about 22 and we both got puppies. I was getting one because I was a single mom, my mom was getting one because my brothers and sisters wanted one. I brought home Misty2, a german shepard mix....mom brought home Brandy. This was 1999

Misty was a wonderful dog.... hugely full of energy, lacking in obedience, over excitable. I tried to train her the best I could, then I became pregnant (unplanned) a few months later. I tried to keep her, continuing to train her, but once I had my second daughter, unfortunately I had to give Misty2 to another home. I felt horrible, because I adopted her, now was throwing her away too. She belonged on a farm, somewhere she could run....she didn't have that with me. Misty2 belongs to a friend of the family who owns a large property where she can run. Last I heard, she was doing well (a few yrs back).

In 2002 I moved to a townhouse with a full fenced yard, small one but fully fenced.

Brandy did not have a very good life at my moms. She was gotten for the wrong reason...(because the kids, my siblings, wanted a dog). They took care of her for the first 6-12mos, then their interest dropped. Both my parents worked, so it was my siblings responsibility to take care of Brandy. They were very lazy, and Brandy would end up spending 18hrs in a cage, or left outside chained up all day with noone checking on water. She was fed a cheap food as my mom couldn't afford much better. She was taken to the vet for her normal shots, then rabies, and a couple other issues. She was slightly underweight, infested with fleas (which she is allergic too) and had soooo many sores on her body from biting at the fleas... what fur she had was sqraggly and thin.

I offered to adopt Brandy from them, as noone spent time with her. Keeping her in a cage was not fair to her at all. My mom agreed, she knew she had made a mistake in getting Brandy, and in 2002 Brandy came to live with me
At this time, with a 6yr old and 2yr old, I was able to care for her.

Brandy has lead a healthy happy life.... I very much wish she never got diagnosed with this tumor. But I am so thankful it waiting till she was older before it showed up.

As much of a curse as it is, knowing that she will not have to suffer through not being able to eat, or having the tumor press against her eye and causing her excrutiating pain.... I am able to help her cross the bridge before she suffers tremendously.

My 13yr old looked up at me this morning and said "I just want her to be happy Mom, I don't want her to hurt".

We have a desicion to make. Whether she is euthanised on Sat. or Sun. We are quite blessed in having someone who is able to come to us to help her cross.

We will take her to my in-laws farm on either Sat. or Sunday, where she will go peacefully, without pain, to run free across the bridge. My children will be able to put flowers, or whatever they want, where she will be buried. *small blessings*

I'm comforted in knowing that she will not have to be taken to the vet's office. She is so scared of the vet.... she goes, but shakes so much, and her last 2 visits, the vet has hurt her (by examining the tumor) so she's even more scared. Her crossing, will be with people she knows, she will be surrounded with love and NOT in a cold, surgicial type room.

Honestly, I really don't care if people read this.... I'm doing the writing for myself more than anything. I want this thread to be of Brandy's life...

I will post and ask it to be closed after Brandy passes.

For those that do read, I will be posting some silly stories, and just random thoughts about Brandy, her life, etc.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
to you Chris.
You've done everything you can in this difficult time.
Plenty of that you, your family and Brandy have a wonderful week.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chris, I am so sorry to hear this
I`m sure you will make her last week as comfortable and happy as possible. I know being prepared for the inevitable doesn`t really soften the blow any when the time comes but I hope she will not realise what is happening and go peacefully

It must be so hard to see her being normal in every other way.

Thinking of you at this difficult time

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

It must be so hard to see her being normal in every other way.

Thinking of you at this difficult time
Exactly.

It is both a blessing and a curse. Logical brain says: It's a blessing that she won't have to deal with horrible pain. Emotional brain says: It's a curse because I know her day of death

I "think" it would be easier if she appeared sick..... but I don't want her suffering either......

Blah that about sums it up.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing. It's just going to keep growing and hinder her quality of life even more.

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Chris,

I admire your strength to give Brandy the gift only you can give.

that Brandy's last week with you is as happy and pain free as possible.

for you during this trying time.

Sweet Pax will watch for Brandy and help her find her way.

Jen

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is

Your love for her is SO obvious, and I think this thread is a wonderful idea.

Lots of for you and your family and much strength to you for helping your sweet girl to the bridge because you love her so very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.