Brandy's last update

Status
Not open for further replies.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am so sorry!!

You are doing the right thing Chris,as hard as it may be, and she will cross over with her loved ones by her side.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you're going to lose Brandy so soon. She is a beautiful girl and I'm sure she's found love and joy living with you. You and your family are very brave to do what's right by her, especially when she isn't showing her pain. This is a true testament of your love for your beloved girl.

Hugs for you, your family, and lovely sweet Brandy.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry you have had to make this decision, I hope you all have a great week together. It is wonderful that you won't have to take her to the vet, and she will be surrouned by love! My heart is breaking for you.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Exactly.

It is both a blessing and a curse. Logical brain says: It's a blessing that she won't have to deal with horrible pain. Emotional brain says: It's a curse because I know her day of death

I "think" it would be easier if she appeared sick..... but I don't want her suffering either......
Chris - I had a greyhound who had bone cancer in his jaw. It was inoperable because they would have had to remove a lot of bones in his head to get all the cancer and he would not have been able to eat on his own again. Having lost family members to bone cancer, I know the level of pain that it causes. I helped him cross before his serious discomfort turned into full blown pain and yes, I arranged the day in advance.

So I've been in your shoes and all I can say is that do your best not to second guess yourself. If I know you like I think I do, you'll try to second guess this decision for years to come. You know its the right thing to do, you'll berate yourself about possibly not waiting longer. You are preventing her from experiencing extreme pain and you know that is going to come any day now. It is the most humane thing to do right now.

More
coming your way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Chris - I had a greyhound who had bone cancer in his jaw. It was inoperable because they would have had to remove a lot of bones in his head to get all the cancer and he would not have been able to eat on his own again. Having lost family members to bone cancer, I know the level of pain that it causes. I helped him cross before his serious discomfort turned into full blown pain and yes, I arranged the day in advance.

So I've been in your shoes and all I can say is that do your best not to second guess yourself. If I know you like I think I do, you'll try to second guess this decision for years to come. You know its the right thing to do, you'll berate yourself about possibly not waiting longer. You are preventing her from experiencing extreme pain and you know that is going to come any day now. It is the most humane thing to do right now.

More
coming your way.
You do know me well.

If it weren't for my husband, I would do exactly what you said. He's my sounding board, my rational mind when i have none. I've asked him repeatedly, what he would do, is this right, etc. etc. He's always said "it's your decision" about taking her to the vet, or whatever.

His mom had a dog, Shadow. She had cancer.... she had a couple tumors removed, but it all eventually came back...(they weren't visible). She was so sick by the time they had her euthanised.... she had sores all over her, could hardly walk, arthritis really bad, loss of weight, etc. Looking back, I think my MIL regrets waiting so long to have her PTS but her hubby is the same as mine, let her make the decision and guided her the best he could. But, Shadow is how I don't want Brandy to be..... it was quite obvious she was in pain.

I know I need to get the what-if's out of my head, and look at the rational side of it.

I did talk to my vet yesterday when I took Kizzy in... I explained to him about it splitting open under her nose, and the smell (there's a smell, at first I thought it was her breath and mentioned it to hubby....it's not her breath) and even he said it's time.

With both my husband and vet saying its time, I trust them.

i do know that it is the right thing to do... I know it with my head. My daughters know it.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you have interest in building a memorial site but here's a good site:
http://www.pets-memories.com/

I am sorry you have to go through this and make such a hard decision. Brandy has been good to you, and you have been good to her. At least when Brandy crosses the bridge she won't be weak and frail and painful. She'll be going there happy, ready to shed her tumor and get down to business on the other side of the bridge. My thoughts are with you.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Chris....
I'm sorry, I know that's not helpful, but it's what is happening after reading through this thread. Great - and I have to get my act together to get back to work.

But what a bittersweet story.
She's had such a wonderful life with you. I know it's breaking all your hearts, but after having read through everything, it seems you're coming to that place where you know this is the right thing at the right time.
It doesn't hurt any less, but I hope you do come to complete peace with the fact that you are doing the right thing for HER.

Spoil her silly these last few days. Let her eat all the soft food she shouldn't just because it will make her happy.

she'll remain comfortable until it's time.

And there aren't enough smilies allowed to post the number of hugs I'm sending.

Laurie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small blessings as of late:

Brandy is reinforcing that this is the right thing to do

Her mood seems to have improved over the last couple days, for that I am thankful. She's occassionally sneezing blood (not a good thing) which reinforces the decision.

Today I am of rational mind, so I know this is the right thing to do. Unfortunately when of an emotional mind, the story is different.

My greatest concern is that of my oldest daughter. I'm not saying my youngest won't have problems, but my oldest is a sensitive sort. My youngest will cry her eyes out, the day Brandy moves to a better place, and then she'll be ok. My oldest, she knows this is right, and even in telling her that the decision has been made, she's trying to hold back... she wants to be brave.

I don't know if it will help or hinder, but I am going to let her read and post to this thread, if she wishes.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are with you and I'm sending lots of prayers and of support to you and your family. On Sunday July 12, you are going to give Brandy the greatest act of kindness that you could possibly give her.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Chris, my heart is breaking for you. I broke down in to tears reading your thread because of how much more difficult the situation must be for you to literally have to determine when the time is best to let go. Many of us are forced to make the decision when our babies are quite ill, but you have had to watch this awful tumor grow for so long and knew of the unevitable decision it would force you to make. I am so so sorry that you have to go through this. I am keeping you in my thoughts. Your Brandy is a beautiful pup and is so lucky to have you.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on recent events: (apparant health deterioration, even though she's still so "happy") It will be Sat. July 11 that Brandy will be set free of her pain.

She still acts happy, but after she sneezed blood and has been rubbing her nose so much today, we don't want to prolong it.

I want to share some happy stories, but first I am going to allow my daughter Kendra to join this site and post.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Chris, I'm so sorry, especially after another so recent blow with little Pax.

You have my full support, and can talk to me any time. You are doing the right thing, the best thing for Brandy. Putting her needs before your own (of course we want to hold on to them) is the best, most selfless thing you can do, and it shows what a wonderful person you are. Knowing that this in inoperable, letting her go while she's still happy, especially as that time is going to be limited severely, the timing is just right. You're doing right by your beautiful girl.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sitting hear finishing some messages with DH, and just thinking.

I'm gonna miss Brandy's snoring LOL. It's annoying when you are trying to concentrate, but I am sooooo gonna miss it.

There's lots of things I'm going to miss about my sweet pup.

She's very protective of the front door. Anytime anyone comes up on the step she barks her fool head off (could be the kids, or even me and she can see through the window). Our neighbours know, they don't have to ring the doorbell, they just come to the door and Brandy lets us know

She dug a hole in our wall.... I'm not sure I'll repair it right away.... It's from her back feet. She kicks her feet as she's dreaming... it started off as a scratch, but its now a fair sized hole and completely through the sheet of drywall LOL.

She doesn't know many tricks, and she won't walk on a collar.... We had to use a halti, otherwise she just pulled and pulled. But she was so much fun going for walks with.

Fireworks scare her, but that's bout it for her fears.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so not ready for this.

Tomorrow morning we will all drive out to my inlaw's place......me and my girls in one vehicle, Mark in the other (he won't let me drive his car
).

We'll play with Brandy, and leave her with my DH. She'll be happy and barking, and wagging her fool tail off LOL. That will be our last memory of her. Ignoring the huge lump on her face, she's the same ol pup she ever was...slightly slower in her old age.

She has known so much love in her life time, and for that I am so thankful. I would like to think she knows I'm doing the right thing.

I wish I was like my husband in a sense. He is much more logical and rational, whereas I am emotional, and rationality seems to be an afterthought. Mark is going to miss Brandy too, but he, in every aspect of his life, is an if it's gotta be done, get it done type of person. He doesn't get the emotional attachment like I do. Yes he cares about Brandy, and he is sad her time in this life is over, but he knows we need to do this and because of that, he is slightly detached from it.

You know, I think this is why I love my snakes. I've had more heartache in the last month's time due to furry pets, than I have in my many years of owning reptiles, and yes I've lost snakes, had to euthanise a bearded dragon, euthanise babies that have no chance of survival, etc. There is not the emotional attachment there....

trillcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I am so not ready for this.

Tomorrow morning we will all drive out to my inlaw's place......me and my girls in one vehicle, Mark in the other (he won't let me drive his car
).

We'll play with Brandy, and leave her with my DH. She'll be happy and barking, and wagging her fool tail off LOL. That will be our last memory of her. Ignoring the huge lump on her face, she's the same ol pup she ever was...slightly slower in her old age.

She has known so much love in her life time, and for that I am so thankful. I would like to think she knows I'm doing the right thing.

I wish I was like my husband in a sense. He is much more logical and rational, whereas I am emotional, and rationality seems to be an afterthought. Mark is going to miss Brandy too, but he, in every aspect of his life, is an if it's gotta be done, get it done type of person. He doesn't get the emotional attachment like I do. Yes he cares about Brandy, and he is sad her time in this life is over, but he knows we need to do this and because of that, he is slightly detached from it.

You know, I think this is why I love my snakes. I've had more heartache in the last month's time due to furry pets, than I have in my many years of owning reptiles, and yes I've lost snakes, had to euthanise a bearded dragon, euthanise babies that have no chance of survival, etc. There is not the emotional attachment there....
She knows, believe me, she knows you are doing the right thing.
It is best to leave this place for another being a "Happy and barking, and wagging her fool tail off" doggie than to leave it another way.
My heart is breaking for you, I have been where you are, questioning, letting my emotions get me, knowing what needs to be done, but wanting it just NOT be happening. I would not wish what you are going through on anyone.
To your daughter if she is reading Be strong, but let yourself be sad, Its Ok to cry your eyes out, it's part of going through this. It's OK to not cry if you don't want to. Know that you and your family did all you guys could do and that this is the best thing you could do for her now. It is soooo hard to deal with, but you will all get through it, though it seem so horrible now, it will get better.

For all.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that you are going through this. But you are doing right by her.

Enjoy your time together and build some more happy memories with your sweet girl.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The right decisions are often the hardest to make and the hardest to take. You are doing the right thing for her. You are doing it the right way, leaving yourselves with happy memories of a wonderful, beautiful member of the family to whom you gave everything you could and who loves you for caring for her - and for making this decision she can't make.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart is breaking for you & your family!!! I will have to make the same hard choice soon, and when I do I will tell my Tyler to find Brandy when he crosses. You have been in my thoughts all wek, and you will be in my prayers tonight. Be comfortable n your choice, you are doing the right thing! Please give Brandy a hug from me.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trillcat

She knows, believe me, she knows you are doing the right thing.
It is best to leave this place for another being a "Happy and barking, and wagging her fool tail off" doggie than to leave it another way.
My heart is breaking for you, I have been where you are, questioning, letting my emotions get me, knowing what needs to be done, but wanting it just NOT be happening. I would not wish what you are going through on anyone.
To your daughter if she is reading Be strong, but let yourself be sad, Its Ok to cry your eyes out, it's part of going through this. It's OK to not cry if you don't want to. Know that you and your family did all you guys could do and that this is the best thing you could do for her now. It is soooo hard to deal with, but you will all get through it, though it seem so horrible now, it will get better.

For all.

Status
Not open for further replies.