Brainstorming re: URI

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, forum. Thank you in advance for your help.

A bit of background. In 2018, we adopted a 6-month old cat, Leo. From the start, he had some eye issues. Squinting, visible third eyelids in both eyes, some redness and discharge (sometimes watery sometimes thicker, usually clear, but sometimes yellow). After several rounds of drops and ointments, he started seeing an ophthalmologist. His eye itself looked good, with no ulcerations or abrasions. She started him on Cidofivir. We had good success with that and, over the next number of months, we reduced from 2x/daily to 1x/week. I think he only had one or two days during that time with any discharge and his third eyelids retracted as much as I think his will ever retract. Even on a good day, they are slightly visible. But she based her treatment on the assumption that his issues were herpes related. He had no other symptoms of the virus during this time.

Fast forward to this summer. We adopted a 14-week old kitten in July. After about three weeks of steady contact, Leo got sick. We woke up to very visible third eyelids and a bit of lethargy (although not overly pronounced). No discharge from his eyes and no squinting. His ophthalmologist checked him out and said she didn't see anything wrong with his eyes but suggested we resume 1x/daily Cidofivir. Several days later, he started to sound congested. He saw his regular vet at this point. He had a fever of 103.5. She gave him a Convenia shot but was pretty sure it was a herpes flare. I wondered, too, if he'd picked up something latent from the kitten, as I knew that the kitten's mom had been treated for a URI, as had another adult cat in the foster home.

Leo was relatively eating well through all of this and well hydrated so while we hated that we wasn't feeling really well, we also weren't too alarmed. Over the next couple of weeks it seemed like his fever waxed and waned but he ultimately started seeming more like himself energy wise. Still eating and drinking relatively normally (we sometimes had to coax him a bit with his wet food).

But the congestion persisted. I have taken him into a steamy bathroom once or twice a day and have used saline drops here and there, but neither seem to help much. And his third eyelids remained visible....but still not other eye issues. I also gave him 500mg of Lysine a day.

This time last week, I noticed that the kitten was lethargic and feverish. And he hadn't been eating quite as energetically for several days. We took him to the vet that night. HIs fever was 105. He received a five-day round of Famciclovir, which he finished Saturday. His fever broke later in the week and while he's still not 100%, he seems to be doing much better. He's shown no signs of congestion (yet) and no eye issues. When the vet called on Wednesday to check on the kitten, I shared with him that I was frustrated that Leo wasn't getting any better. He started him on Zithromycin with the thought that his congestion may have led to a sinus infection. But he warned (and I already knew this) that

Leo has tolerated the drug, but if anything he seems even stuffier now. And one of his eyes started watering yesterday and he's squinting out of that eye. I gave him half a Zyrtec today on the off chance he was suffering from some seasonal allegies (we did have our windows open yesterday). I need to reach out to my vet again this morning, but I'm not really sure what to suggest. He's not had any diagnostic panels down, nor any bloodwork. That seems like a reasonable next step to me, but I'm checking to see if anyone on the forum has any other thoughts. Again, thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You may need to try and see if there's an environmental source.

Have you looked around your house, really hard? Do you have air cleaners, which might help?

Is your humidity high? Do you have mold, inside or out?

Anything scented like dryer sheets, laundry detergent, scented cleaning supplies, sprays, pest killer, flea treatment, fleas, regularly applied yard/grass treatments (your or your neighbors whether your cats go out or not), body and hair sprays from the bathroom, spray perfumes, body lotions....etc etc, could be the trigger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s possible, although I can’t think of products we are currently using that coincide with the onset of his symptoms. But I’ll be honest that I started having more issues with my own asthma at about the same time. The only thing I can think of that happened around that time is that my neighbors had five large mostly dead Ash trees removed the week before we started having issues. It seems DWD to think that would have created enough pollen to create a problem. Especially since the trees were mostly dead.

I wonder too if it’s possible that the Lysine itself is causing an allergic reaction. I’ve used it this whole time thinking it might help but maybe it’s made things worse.

But do you see fevers with environmental allergies? I’ve assumed that the fever would only be consistent with some form of infection. And my guess is that he may have a secondary infection/reaction now in his eye.

I have a call into his ophthalmologist to see if she thinks it makes sense for me to see her first or our general practice vet. I have an appointment with my GP penciled in for tonight for one of his emergency slots. Unfortunately they’re not in the same practice because I’d ideally like them to consult together at the same time do that we limit the stress of vet visits.

Frustratingly, my husband and I have a road trip planned to a cabin in the woods beginning on Friday. My cat’s are always our priority but if there was ever a year that I needed a break/change of scenery, it’s this year. It just may not be meant to be.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not aware of a single 'environmental' issue/factor on the planet that can cause/is known to be associated with fever. Similarly, I've not seen a case yet, human nor animal, where al allergen was (even) thought to cause fever. I think that's a rabbit hole to be avoided.

And, no, lysine is not known as an allergen. Nor would that worsen a herpes flare.

Is your asthma triggered by stress? Could that explain that coincidence?

From your description, my suspicions say the cause.is viral. I wonder if Cidofivir, which seemed effective with his very first 'incident', might give a better result than did the Famciclovir - that might be a question for tonight. Eye drops, also antiviral, could be used concurrently. Mind you, there's no way to be sure, it seems like trial-and-error many times.

If it's herpes at play, a larger dose of lysine is generally needed to disrupt the replication, usually that same dosage but twice daily until all is clear - some cats will require either daily low-dose maintenance or 'pulsing/pulse' administration.

You've left out some info from the last sentence in the 2nd last paragraph of post #1.....you were warned about...? Also in there it became confusing as to which cat you were speaking about. Perhaps include the kitten's name, too. Head-spinning!

I'll just stop here.....before I make an utter fool of myself!

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not aware of a single 'environmental' issue/factor on the planet that can cause/is known to be associated with fever. Similarly, I've not seen a case yet, human nor animal, where al allergen was (even) thought to cause fever. I think that's a rabbit hole to be avoided.

And, no, lysine is not known as an allergen. Nor would that worsen a herpes flare.

Is your asthma triggered by stress? Could that explain that coincidence?

From your description, my suspicions say the cause.is viral. I wonder if Cidofivir, which seemed effective with his very first 'incident', might give a better result than did the Famciclovir - that might be a question for tonight. Eye drops, also antiviral, could be used concurrently. Mind you, there's no way to be sure, it seems like trial-and-error many times.

If it's herpes at play, a larger dose of lysine is generally needed to disrupt the replication, usually that same dosage but twice daily until all is clear - some cats will require either daily low-dose maintenance or 'pulsing/pulse' administration.

You've left out some info from the last sentence in the 2nd last paragraph of post #1.....you were warned about...? Also in there it became confusing as to which cat you were speaking about. Perhaps include the kitten's name, too. Head-spinning!

I'll just stop here.....before I make an utter fool of myself

KatherineE

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry it was confusing!

My own asthma is a mystery. It developed last year after an acute allergic response to an antibiotic. But that allergic reaction messed up my gut as well and the jury is still out whether acid reflux triggers it or allergies. It could be either or both.

I was warned that Leo’s congestion could take a while to clear up. That it was a nature of the beast if the interior of his nasal can it’s was injured by the initial herpes infection.

The kitten is Louis. He received the Famciclovir this past week and seems to be on the mend. Leo has been on daily antiviral drops (Cidofovir) Since he first got sick in August, which leads me to think that his most recent eye issue is a secondary bacterial infection. But at this point, I’d like to confirm the underlying illness if possible to make sure we’re not missing something. He has never taken an oral anti viral. My vet suggested it would require a pretty lengthy course with Leo and he wasn’t sure he’d tolerate it or that would help.

I have a call into my ophthalmologist and an emergency appointment with my regular vet tonight. Hopefully I’ll have a game plan by tonight

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can do that!

It's going to take some clear thinking to sort all this out.....and, of course, with all considered, all fingers and paws must be crossed.