Boyfriend's Allergy and Air Purifiers

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello Community, I hope this is the right Forum to post this.

I have two Birman boys, and a human boy - my boyfriend of five years. He recently developed somewhat of a cat allergy, which is manageable with constant cleaning, airing and medication, but we are considering buying an air purifier with a Hepa filter for our two room flat. Our Budget is 300€.
Please send me your experiences and reccomendations of what may have worked for you guys!

Thanks so much, Uljana

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could also try taking Benadryl at night, it fights cat allergies too and helps you to sleep. I'm curious too about air cleaners, but don't have one yet either.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have two cats and have/had cat allergies. I linked the air purifier that we use, it works great! Other things to do for allergies is to brush your cat daily if it sheds, that way you can control where they shed vs them shedding all over your house. Never have your boyfriend brush them though because that will just worsen his allergies. And like you said you really do have to vacuum pretty much everyday with someone who has bad allergies. We bought a Roomba which I believe is actually the #1 thing for my allergies. I also used to use allerpet for my cats which I believe worked pretty well. You just put some on a little towel and rub some of there fur every so often (I’ll link it below, they have it on Amazon too but is more expensive for some reason). I wouldn’t take Benadryl unless he has too, it lessens quality of sleep and won’t be very effective if taken often. If his current allergy meds work then just take those. If not I recommend trying allegra (specifically gel). When I first got my cats I did some research and found that’s what worked best for a lot of people with allergies and happened to work for me as well. The more time he spends with them, the more his immune system should lessen his response. It’s been a little less than a year living with my cats and I have no symptoms now. I also linked some additional articles that may be helpful. Best of luck to you both! :)
Cat allergies
Living With Cat Allergy – TheCatSite Articles
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VGIGVY/?tag=thecatsite
ALLERPET Cat Dander Remover, 12-oz bottle - Chewy.com
Allegra 24 Hour Allergy Relief Gel caps - Fexofenadine Hydrochloride

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Benadryl was the only thing that helped me sleep when my Chrissy died, and it does get less effective over time. I then use another product for a few months and it will work again. Almost ALL the sleep help products use the active ingredient in Benadryl, you really have to look to find something else. When my husbands allergies act up he uses OTC allergy sprays like Flonase. He says they really help.

Remi&RiRi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly! I’m a nurse so I’ve had experience with it. It’s an effective temporary solution but just not a great permanent one. Definitely not a bad thing to use in moderation
Benadryl was the only thing that helped me sleep when my Chrissy died, and it does get less effective over time. I then use another product for a few months and it will work again. Almost ALL the sleep help products use the active ingredient in Benadryl, you really have to look to find something else. When my husbands allergies act up he uses OTC allergy sprays like Flonase. He says they really help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have two cats and have/had cat allergies. I linked the air purifier that we use, it works great! Other things to do for allergies is to brush your cat daily if it sheds, that way you can control where they shed vs them shedding all over your house. Never have your boyfriend brush them though because that will just worsen his allergies. And like you said you really do have to vacuum pretty much everyday with someone who has bad allergies. We bought a Roomba which I believe is actually the #1 thing for my allergies. I also used to use allerpet for my cats which I believe worked pretty well. You just put some on a little towel and rub some of there fur every so often (I’ll link it below, they have it on Amazon too but is more expensive for some reason). I wouldn’t take Benadryl unless he has too, it lessens quality of sleep and won’t be very effective if taken often. If his current allergy meds work then just take those. If not I recommend trying allegra (specifically gel). When I first got my cats I did some research and found that’s what worked best for a lot of people with allergies and happened to work for me as well. The more time he spends with them, the more his immune system should lessen his response. It’s been a little less than a year living with my cats and I have no symptoms now. I also linked some additional articles that may be helpful. Best of luck to you both! :)
Cat allergies
Living With Cat Allergy – TheCatSite Articles
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VGIGVY/?tag=thecatsite
ALLERPET Cat Dander Remover, 12-oz bottle - Chewy.com
Allegra 24 Hour Allergy Relief Gel caps - Fexofenadine Hydrochloride
Thanks so much for your long answer, it was very helpful. My bf is talking medication no Matter what, bc of Pollen allergies. He's taking Clarinex and is Happy with that. The rest we will try!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use Rabbit Air for our air purifiers. Recommended by my allergist.
Works great, very quiet. We have one in our bedroom upstairs and another unit to do the downstairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

upsetmilk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: We ordered a big Purifier for the general living area, and to be safe one of the small ones for his bedside, as well as allerpet.
Let's see how this goes, but I am positive things will improve real quick.

JYD

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any update on your situation? Thanks!