Boy or girl name?

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trying to think of a name for our little kitten, I love the name Loki.
It seems it can be used for either a boy or girl but what is your first thought on gender with this name?

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitten!:woohoo: She is absolutely adorable! Please do keep us updated with pictures and such!
I love the name Loki! I definitely initially think of Loki the Norse god/ Lokie from Marvel (who is a male), but I'm fairly sure I've heard Loki as a girl's name before, too, and I really like it- I think it's absolutely adorable! And if you like it, that's what's most important :cutecat:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I've known people who named their dogs and cats Loki, both male and female. So I agree with BellaGooch BellaGooch that if you like it that's what matters most. Usually the first name that comes to mind is the one you end up choosing. BTW, absolutely adorable kitten. 😻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou
The kitten we are keeping is a little girl, I do love the name but didn't fancy having to explain she's not a boy everytime haha.
Mama cat is called Luna so I thought Luna and Loki would go lovely together, of cause I'm open to suggestions 😉

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are like most, the cat will never get called by its name anyway. I have only had my two a couple months and they have a ton of nicknames already that are a play on their name but are rarely called their actual name unless they are getting into trouble. Then I do what my mom did to me and call them by their first, middle AND last names. Gracie Ella Lunick!!! Get down!! or Boone Jenner Lunick!! You are too big to rough house your sister like that!!!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think of a male when I hear or see the name Loki.

You said you were up for other suggestions. Here are some for you.

If you wanted to stay with "L" names:
Lyla
Lyra
Lena
Lorna
Lola

Celestial names:
Nova
Titania
Venus
Pandora
Astrid (I have an Astrid)
Miranda
Lyra (again)

Norse mythology names:
Freya (I also have a Freya)
Siv
Laga
Valkyrie

Random pretty names:
Vyla
Eira
Ianthe
Cressida
Illyria
Everly
Amilyn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think of a male when I hear or see the name Loki.

You said you were up for other suggestions. Here are some for you.

If you wanted to stay with "L" names:
Lyla
Lyra
Lena
Lorna
Lola

Celestial names:
Nova
Titania
Venus
Pandora
Astrid (I have an Astrid)
Miranda
Lyra (again)

Norse mythology names:
Freya (I also have a Freya)
Siv
Laga
Valkyrie

Random pretty names:
Vyla
Eira
Ianthe
Cressida
Illyria
Everly
Amilyn
I've decided Loki is just to boyish for my little lady plus I don't like the meaning of the name haha.
Thanks for your suggestions I do like the name Freya and Lola, very sweet! I also like Willow (unfortunately the family won't agree on that one)
Who'd have thought it would be so difficult coming up with a name. 😕

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided Loki is just to boyish for my little lady plus I don't like the meaning of the name haha.
Thanks for your suggestions I do like the name Freya and Lola, very sweet! I also like Willow (unfortunately the family won't agree on that one)
Who'd have thought it would be so difficult coming up with a name. 😕
We had the same issue coming up with a name for our boy. Especially since we already had a girls name picked and then realized she was a he! We couldn't agree on anything as I really wanted a human sounding name while husband didn't. He thought the cat's name would figure itself out on personality. I didn't have that kind of time to wait on a name. Finally settled on Boone after a hockey player but also the nickname of one of husband's uncles who he was very fond of who passed recently.