box for cat who pees high

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey

I was wondering if anyone had any box suggestions for a cat who pees high in the back of a litter pan.  We're not sure which cat is doing it, but for about a year I've been finding urine in the gap between the hood and the box itself.  Recently we have put the box in the spare bathtub (just moved here, it's a temporary location) and I noticed a drip of urine coming out from under the box.  It appears the urine is dripping out of that edge and I didn't know it.  I'd like to fix this problem before I move it to a less easy to clean location in the new apartment.

Any suggestions?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try the plastic storage bins (like Rubbermaid) at Walmart or Target. They come in sizes with very high sides. You can cut an opening for the cat to get in and out.

lucygracie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the UK one can get clear plastic carpet protector in rolls, and it's perfect for standing a litter tray on to catch any drips.  It's quite thick and has little spikes on one side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was considering cutting a bin, but I feel like I might do it wrong.  I'm still not sure if I'd cut a hole in the top or side.

As for the petmate, that's what we have, in "jumbo" size.  It's too bad, because the back of the box really is very high.

I was also thinking about something for underneath, but I don't want to end up cleaning the litter, the edge of the pan and the floor every day.

Thanks for the suggestions!  Looks like I'm either going to have to go with the top loader or the make your own version...hummm

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to try one with a top entry you won't have to cut it yourself. I have seen boxes like that at Petco. That would work the best because it would be impossible for urine to leak out of that design.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snip>

I was also thinking about something for underneath, but I don't want to end up cleaning the litter, the edge of the pan and the floor every day.

<snip>
I use the protector underneath so that if there is a urine leak from the join it doesn't go on the flooring - it doesn't take much cat pee to do a lot of damage.  I can take the protector outside and use the hose on it if necessary.