Bowl, Plate, Floor???

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I'd sure like to know in what do you feed your kitty(ies).

I've been using paper plates but am finding it's getting a bit pricey to go through like 6 a day. I wanted to hear about other options & what others do.

I typically use a paper plate if I feed raw & a paper plate when I feed canned. Canned is the majority of their diet.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Stainless steel or ceramic bowls are the best, especially for feeding raw because they don't harbor bacteria the way plastic does. I also put the plates on a small wooden table to raise them up while they're eating. This helps with digestion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can buy plain Corel dishware - bowls & plates, which are not that expensive are dishwasher safe, and pretty break resistant. I usually just hand clean them daily, and have a few back-ups to use while those dry in a dish drainer.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use raised pet dishes ...
Screenshot_20181007-084956~2.png

They are ceramic, so easy to clean, and the raised makes it easier on them to eat out of. Plus they are relatively shallow and wide reducing whisker fatigue. And they have a slight raised spot inside to help keep food in the bowl. I recently got Link a bigger one so he doesn't have to bend as far, which he seems to love.

You can get them here, Necoichi Raised Cat Food Bowl

The photo is regular size. The mini are really only good for treats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live around the corner from a thrift store. I have a never-ending supply of cheap flat ceramic dishes with which to feed her. If Krista decides she doesn’t like this one, I can pick up another one for $2 next door.

I feed my messy kitty on the counter. She likes to fling food when she eats. I’d rather clean her food off the counter than the floor.
2FD063B6-DE94-4ED0-8B39-044FCF22B7FB.jpeg

Last edited:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a number of stainless steel bowls and plastic place mats for canned and raw feedings and a raised dish set for water and dry kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ok these ideas are giving me lots to think about, thank you!!

I was debating whether or not to go to a thrift store & pick up some stainless/ceramic items. I'm leaning toward plates/saucers, not bowls. I think it's easier for the kitties to eat from then putting their face into something.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
ok these ideas are giving me lots to think about, thank you!!

I was debating whether or not to go to a thrift store & pick up some stainless/ceramic items. I'm leaning toward plates/saucers, not bowls. I think it's easier for the kitties to eat from then putting their face into something.
I find plates and saucers to be too a bit too messy. I try to look for bowls that are not too shallow and have a short outer ridge to prevent food from falling out.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know if whisker fatigue is a thing. I do know that Krista prefers a flat plate to any with a ridge. I’m not the one with the whiskers and it’s no trouble for me to wipe the counter down after I’ve washed her plate.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats seem to like to be able to look over the edge of the bowl/plate while eating. I suspect it makes them feel more secure to see if anyone's coming to steal their food or attack.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka I love your photo, particularly seeing your two snowshoes eating out of those dishes!

One of our cats (the snowshoe) would eat out of anything but her sister is much pickier. She needs flat dishes: I bought a small stack of appetizer plates from Target for her. They're cheap ($1.99 each, I think?) and just the right size.

We use place mats most of the time because our cats are also messy.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jem eats his canned food from little ceramic saucers I bought at a garage sale for fifty cents each, on top of a placemat. The placemat does absolutely nothing to contain his messy eating habits- he frequently gets food on the wall behind his dishes- but it does make me feel better, which counts for something too ;P

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mizu is our messy eater. She prefers scooping her food out of her dish and licking it off her paw like it's an ice cream cone. The place mat doesn't contain the mess but it does manage to have most of it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use glass compote dishes, which are wide and shallow enough not to cause whisker stress. They also take up very little room in the dishwasher. They're something I pick up whenever I see them on sale.
IMG_20170926_181128.jpg

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive tends to step in the side of the bowl and flip it over mid meal. So anything that curves up doesn’t work. We bought 3 of the Dr Catsby Whisker Fatigue bowls and rotate them. Since it’s pretty hefty and stable she doesn’t flip it over. It’s expensive but I know she will not trap her food under the upside down bowl if I feed and leave.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I love how those bowls look! But they cost 20 bucks? That's a little steep for me.
Yeah, I agree they are overpriced. But I haven't found another bowl that flares out at the bottom to prevent Olive from playing catapult games with her food. This is way easier than cleaning up after a flipped bowl. I had also looked into a food bowl stand, but at that point I was paying just as much without knowing it would work.