Bowel obstruction or something else?

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My boy Winston (11) was at the vet over the weekend with some symptoms I'll outline below, and they did x rays to check for a bowel obstruction but they were inconclusive so they gave him fluids and sent him home with probiotics and antibiotics.

I'm calling again today but in the meantime, trying to get my ducks in a row so I can be prepared when we go back. Below is the timeline of his symptoms/progression, and I'm not sure if this is reflective of a normal bowel obstruction.

Four days ago: vomited twice in a row (no other vomit)
Three days ago: vomited twice in a row (no other vomit), showed less interest in food than usual
Two days ago: had a mucousy, bloody BM. This is the day we took him to the vet. No other BMs and no vomiting. Immediately ran for his food dish and chowed down the second we got home.
Yesterday: vomited once in the morning. No BMs. Had a much better appetite, ate noticeably more than he had been. Seemed to be improving and feeling better overall.
This morning: refusing all food. Yowled as he walked around, tried to use the litter box but it was just a bit of bloody mucous. Won't purr (he purrs even if you look in his direction normally).

Does this timeline seem consistent with the normal progression of obstructions? Or does it sound like anything else anyone has dealt with that I should consider if the x rays don't show an obstruction today?

Also, if it IS an obstruction, how well do older kitties with existing health issues typically do with that surgery? Any experiences there? Winston is overweight and has asthma, and I worry about the recovery if it comes to that.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Were the X-rays clear and didn’t show an obstruction, or did he have gas in his gut so it wasn’t clearly visible? Did the vet propose a contrast? Was an ultrasound attempted before or after the X-ray? Was IBS/IBD or an infection mentioned as a possible diff diagnosis? Gut inflammation would be visible in an X-ray if he didn’t have excessive trapped gas, but I’d want pancreas and kidneys checked as well as the stomach and intestines on an US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were the X-rays clear and didn’t show an obstruction, or did he have gas in his gut so it wasn’t clearly visible? Did the vet propose a contrast? Was an ultrasound attempted before or after the X-ray? Was IBS/IBD or an infection mentioned as a possible diff diagnosis? Gut inflammation would be visible in an X-ray if he didn’t have excessive trapped gas, but I’d want pancreas and kidneys checked as well as the stomach and intestines on an US.
There was gas in his gut. She said his colon didn't look like she would expect if he had an obstruction but that additional x-rays after a couple of days if no improvement might show something different. She didn't even mention an ultrasound, and IBS/IBD were not brought up.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Odd that they're happy to wait, given the circumstances. When Jum had similar, but less severe issues (no bloody stool) and she had too much gas in her gut to see much of anything off imaging, I was given contrast solution to take home and give her 12 hours before her appointment the next day. By then, the meds they gave her to help make her more comfortable had helped, and the gas was gone, but the contrast would've helped see any potential items in her tract anyway. I'd insist on getting answers at this stage, in your position, if the diagnostic fees are within your means.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. Consider an ultrasound if you can. If it is not a bowel obstruction, it is something else of great concern, so I don't see the point in the vet waiting to try to figure this out.

If surgery is needed, ask for a referral to a specialty hospital, teaching hospital, whatever might be possible in your area. Those places have all the staff and equipment ready to go 24/7 and will be able to avoid the risks that you might face having surgery done in a regular vet hospital.

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Odd that they're happy to wait, given the circumstances. When Jum had similar, but less severe issues (no bloody stool) and she had too much gas in her gut to see much of anything off imaging, I was given contrast solution to take home and give her 12 hours before her appointment the next day. By then, the meds they gave her to help make her more comfortable had helped, and the gas was gone, but the contrast would've helped see any potential items in her tract anyway. I'd insist on getting answers at this stage, in your position, if the diagnostic fees are within your means.
What did you give the cat for gas? Mine is having issues, so trying to find out. Thanks for any info.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What did you give the cat for gas? Mine is having issues, so trying to find out. Thanks for any info.
She was given injections at the vet. I wouldn’t advise medicating at home if your cat is having serious problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, thought I’d provide an update here. We ended up back at the vet the same evening after I posted this because Winston had declined terribly throughout the day. They did additional x rays and an ultrasound and found a bad intussusception of his intestines that would have required removing a decent chunk of his bowels. At his age in his asthmatic condition, the prognosis was very poor. We made the agonizing decision to help him cross the rainbow bridge so he could be at peace. :(

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, thought I’d provide an update here. We ended up back at the vet the same evening after I posted this because Winston had declined terribly throughout the day. They did additional x rays and an ultrasound and found a bad intussusception of his intestines that would have required removing a decent chunk of his bowels. At his age in his asthmatic condition, the prognosis was very poor. We made the agonizing decision to help him cross the rainbow bridge so he could be at peace. :(
That's terrible. I'm so sorry you, and he, had to go through that.