Bougtht my cat a new scratching post he won't use, help!

bmmathes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had the same carpet scratching post for 4 years. He tore it to pieces so I went out to buy him another one just like it and all I could find were the rope scratching posts so I just bought one of those. I put the new post next to the old post for a couple weeks but when I went back to college I left the old one at my fiance's. He still does not use the new post. I had a shelf made for him awhile back and now he will only scratch that. How do I get him to use this new post? Any help would be appreciated!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Does your kitty respond to catnip? If so, you could try rubbing catnip on the post or using spray catnip (less messy).  
  I use the spray to introduce my cats to new toys and cat trees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmmathes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish! I can't even get him to play with those little cat nip mice unless I make it physically interesting for him.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats will scratch away on anything, but some are very particular about their scratching material and it might be that he just doesn't like the rope texture. Have you ever tried corrugated cardboard? Otherwise, you might have to look online to find a carpet replacement.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh oh! Cats that don't respond to catnip sometimes respond to valerian better! It stinks something awful to humans (like feet to me), but every cat I've know that didn't like or respond to catnip, responded to valerian.

Since your cat is older, it may not work so well, but I like to use the "momma cat placement" technique. You pretty much just see them scratching something, and pick them up, gently and kindly, and place them on or near the object you want them to scratch, and give them a good couple of strokes from head to tail. It takes a while, and may not have effect on older cats, but it's the only suggestion I have to odors, hormones and herbs.

I can also suggest you shipping the tree to me, but that won't help you. Lol!

minionofpandora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh oh! Cats that don't respond to catnip sometimes respond to valerian better! It stinks something awful to humans (like feet to me), but every cat I've know that didn't like or respond to catnip, responded to valerian.

Since your cat is older, it may not work so well, but I like to use the "momma cat placement" technique. You pretty much just see them scratching something, and pick them up, gently and kindly, and place them on or near the object you want them to scratch, and give them a good couple of strokes from head to tail. It takes a while, and may not have effect on older cats, but it's the only suggestion I have to odors, hormones and herbs.

I can also suggest you shipping the tree to me, but that won't help you. Lol!
On the same note, chamomile can also have the same effect.

I found this out the hard way in a one-room apartment when I wanted to have some relaxing tea.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[quote name="MinionOfPandora" url="/t/313809/bougtht-my-cat-a-new-scratching-post-he-wont-use-he

I found this out the hard way in a one-room apartment when I wanted to have some relaxing tea.
[/quote]

Yeah, there's a surprisingly long list (I don't have my herb books any more), but it seems that most are "what makes humans sleepy/relaxed makes cats frisky!" [emoji]128568[/emoji]

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Valerian spray is fantastic. I prefer to catnip as it makes kitties more loving than manic. I have used it successfully on scratch posts twice and it really attracts the cat to use the post. With the valerian spray they tend to rub against the scratching post first and scent it, then go for a mega scratch on it ! The spray I use is Trixie valerian spray. I got it from zooplus online.

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Valerian spray is fantastic. I prefer to catnip as it makes kitties more loving than manic. I have used it successfully on scratch posts twice and it really attracts the cat to use the post. With the valerian spray they tend to rub against the scratching post first and scent it, then go for a mega scratch on it ! The spray I use is Trixie valerian spray. I got it from zooplus online.
I didn't know it came in sprays! I'm a herb nut so I grab up organic herbs anywhere I can. I'm not gonna lie: when I got the huge bag of catnip I have it was also for teas! I may have to check out this zooplus place!

kittywooo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are a good store I would recommend highly. I got mine valerian filled soft toy mice from there, as the spray was such a success. Valerian as you may already know can smell a bit sort of herby and musty/ earthy/ footy (nice! Lol),but the cats seem to love them and often find them snuggled up with Prince Charled the valerian mouse (it has big sticky out ears!!) . Its not a horrible smell and the spray is quite mild to be honest, it's the dried herb filled toy mice that can be a bit pungent! :)

mommawolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the dry herbs are something beastly and boy is the tea smelly! Mixing some raspberry leaf can take away a bit of the smell and enhance the flavor, but it doesn't taste terrible. Though, I guess it's a plus over kitty morning breath! [emoji]128569[/emoji]

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first post, so hello to everyone.

I have the same problem with my adopted 5-yr.-old tabby, Tasha. I've had her for 5 months. I clip Tasha's front-paw nails regularly so she can't do too much damage to my rugs and carpeting.

Although she didn't care for the dried catnip I'd offered her, I purchased Meowijuana spray from Amazon, thinking she might like it. No such luck. Plus I'm out $13. I've tried every bit of advice I've found. I have a sisal post and a cardboard scratcher, which I've tried flat on the floor, on an incline (the way it came) and vertical. No interest.

This is the first I've heard of valerian spray. I ran a browser search and found Garfield Valerian Spray & Silver Vine Cat Chews (also available on Amazon) that is a 1.7-ounce spray bottle plus 6 Silver Vine Sticks; and Beaphar Natural Effective Calming Solution that is a little over 4 ounces.

Where did you purchase valerian spray?

How do you use camomile? Do you make a spray of it? That would be very inexpensive.

Thanks!

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read mommawolf's comment more carefully and saw that she bought the valerian spray at zooplus.com, which is in the U.K. Amazon.com has two sprays, one and two. Anyone used silver vine sticks?

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 10 month old girl, Rani, seems totally unaffected by catnip. I'm having the same trouble as the original poster getting her interested in scratching posts or her fancy new cat tree. Do I gather that valerian sometimes appeals to cats who don't "get" catnip?