Bought Me Dehydrator

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bought a dehydrator a few weeks ago. First thing I tried was drying basil as I have an abundance of it growing in my hydroponic unit. As fast as I cut it back, it grows like a weed again. Drying it by hanging it up was taking too long. The basil I've got is a continental one with large leaves and has a wonderful flavour. Come this weekend I'll have to dry some more of it as the plant is taking over the hydroponic unit again.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a dehydrator too. Cherry tomatoes cut in half, dried until leathery then packed in jar covered with olive oil. Bag of Power Greens from the grocery dried and powered, add a pinch to omelets, etc. You're going to have fun with your new device!

Another option with basil - snip into slivers, layer in jar so there's a thin layer of slivered basil, a somewhat thicker one of grated Parmesan, repeat until jar is almost full. Now fill jar with olive oil. Run a table knife or small spatula around inside of jar to be sure oil is all the way covering basil and cheese. Finish with a layer of oil above solids. Cap jar and refrigerate. Now when you want, you have the option to scoop a spoonful of cheese and basil to add to sauces or whatever. Just be sure that there is a film of oil over the solids when you replace the jar in the refrigerator.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You're going to have so much fun with your dehydrator! I do raisins, dried apples, tomato powder, pepper powder, onion powder, garlic powder, etc. I don't have an herb garden, so I don't do basil. Dried pineapple is delicious. Enjoy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently growing 2 dwarf tomato plants in the hydroponic unit. It's a variety called Tiny Tim. I've also got dwarf French Beans to grow in the unit that I haven't sowed yet. I've also got a chilli plant which grew too tall for the hydroponic unit so that's now sitting in a pot on my windowsill. I'm hoping it overwinters OK but if not, I'll start some off in the greenhouse in the Spring. Next season I should be using the dehydrator a lot. I've also got two pear trees. This year I gave most of the pears away. Next year, I'll be drying them.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son ( the hiker) gave me his dehydrator. Love it! I have done onion powder, green bean powder(add a bit to stock, or anything else I can sneak it into for added nutrition), peppers of all sorts - sweet and hot, tried squash(not a fan). Haven’t tried fruit yet. Still a novice. Nate didn’t like it because it took to long. He got it to prepare meals for the trail.