Bottom lip area looks pink

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 5 month old male kitten has had a noticable pink area on his bottom lip. We had the vet check it out and they said it was a pimple and to apply warm compress and switch to stainless or porcelain bowls (which we did). I asked if he needed medications or anything and they said no.
He doesn’t seem bothered by it and had no other noticeable allergy symptoms on him. He eats his food regularly and drinks plenty of water. No diarrhea or vomiting.

It’s been almost two weeks and this pink area doesn’t seem to go away. I’ve been using a warm towel on the area and made sure his litter and food area is kept clean. Any idea what this is?

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably is a pimple, but it doesn't look very bad. One of my cats has always had a pink lip that looks like your kitty's. Actually, there's a fair resemblance between our cats.

If it's been a big change, perhaps he's lost some hair on his lip. It will take some time to grow back.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It might possibly be an eosinophilic granuloma, commonly called rodent ulcer. My Teddy Bear (who crossed the Bridge many years ago) used to get them frequently. My husband started to call her The Lip. I’d take her to the vet, she’d get a steroid shot, it would go away, and then it would come back a couple of months later. We, too, switched away from plastic to, in our case, glass bowls. That’s definitely a good thing.

As it turned out, Teddy was allergic to the teaspoon of milk I was giving her every morning. Once I stopped that, she was never The Lip again! So it’s possible that your guy is allergic to something. Since it’s not clearing up, you might ask your vet about rodent ulcer.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 5 month old male kitten has had a noticable pink area on his bottom lip. We had the vet check it out and they said it was a pimple and to apply warm compress and switch to stainless or porcelain bowls (which we did). I asked if he needed medications or anything and they said no.
He doesn’t seem bothered by it and had no other noticeable allergy symptoms on him. He eats his food regularly and drinks plenty of water. No diarrhea or vomiting.

It’s been almost two weeks and this pink area doesn’t seem to go away. I’ve been using a warm towel on the area and made sure his litter and food area is kept clean. Any idea what this is?
Super cute.
my cat had similar to this long time ago and I immediately saw a vet.
it looks swollen to me. poor kitty. See a vet! Please.

Foreverlouiemylove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I have a question..why is he wearing a yellow cloth?
if it’s for beauty, clothes are not good for cat’s skin. It will irritate,itchy and unsanitary. Cat needs to groom himself to sanitize

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi this was from halloween, don’t worry it was only on him for a few minutes! he’s always naked :)

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question..why is he wearing a yellow cloth?
if it’s for beauty, clothes are not good for cat’s skin. It will irritate,itchy and unsanitary. Cat needs to groom himself to sanitize
hi this was from halloween, don’t worry it was only on him for a few minutes! he’s always naked :)

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Super cute.
my cat had similar to this long time ago and I immediately saw a vet.
it looks swollen to me. poor kitty. See a vet! Please.
In my post i said i saw a vet and they said it was a pimple. i’m posting it here because i was worried it was more than just a pimple.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be an allergic reaction to something, even the dish material.
What material are his dishes?
Plastic is the worst thing.
The best materials should be glass and china.

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the vet said to switch from plastic to glass or stainless steel. he only used one plastic dish for his water which is prob the reason. the swelling has died down as of now since we made the switch to fully glass/ceramic bowls

jend728

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be an allergic reaction to something, even the dish material.
What material are his dishes?
Plastic is the worst thing.
The best materials should be glass and china.
Yes the vet said to switch from plastic to glass or stainless steel. he only used one plastic dish for his water which is prob the reason. the swelling has died down as of now since we made the switch to fully glass/ceramic bowls