Bottle Feed More Than Recommended Amount?

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I took in a kitten that had been abandoned (looked, waited for mama etc). I think he was without food for at least half a day and went from 114 g when we brought him in to 101. We’ve been feeding him about 3 mL every 2 hours and his weight is starting to climb again, although not as quickly as I hoped. Is it safe to feed him more than the recommended amount if he’s still trying to suckle? Also, when should I start to worry that he’s not pooping? Thanks so much.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes you can give somewhat moore.

Add 2 drops of coldpressed olive oil to each meal against constipation.

you are stimulating?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
stimulating before and after feeding. It’s been a little over 24 hrs since the last bowel movement. By somewhat more, would 36 mL be ok pet 24 hr period? I picked up the first kitten formula I could find, which was pre-mixed..should I switch to powder?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! Thanks for taking this little baby in! You don't really need to worry about a kitten this young getting fat or anything. Overfeeding them, therefore, is only a concern if they eat so much that they get sick. If your kitten needs to put on weight, adding a little more at each (spaced out) feeding should be fine. Incrementally increasing the amount a kitten consumes is normal for a bottle feeding schedule. Continue to feed every two hours, and continue tracking the kitten's weight.

If you're using formula for bottle feeding, make sure to mix it completely, (even make it on the watery side,) as formula can tend to bloat the kitten's belly if they're really full or if it isn't mixed properly. Ensure the kitten is not too bloated and is eliminating waste regularly.

Do you know how old the kitten is?

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s 3-4 days. Still has the umbilical cord attached which was dry when we found it yesterday. I would love some more pudge on this guy but I don’t want to make him sick and haven’t been getting bowel movements to gauge if he’s getting too much food.

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok a few more questions...when should i add probiotics or any supplements to feeding? is there anything i can do to boost its immune system? i'm keeping it sequestered from my two other (spayed/neutered/vaccinated/indoor) cats. at how many weeks should i introduce them for socialization?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Continue to stimulate at feedings, and keep an eye out for the kitten's tummy getting hard or it seeming uncomfortable (other signs of constipation.) I have read that hand reared kittens don't poop as often as kittens raised by momma (maybe because the formula is slightly constipating.) I don't think it's time to worry too much yet if the kitten still seems hungry. Just keep trying to stimulate at feedings and maybe try the olive oil.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
stimulating before and after feeding. It’s been a little over 24 hrs since the last bowel movement. By somewhat more, would 36 mL be ok pet 24 hr period? I picked up the first kitten formula I could find, which was pre-mixed..should I switch to powder?
Yes, KMR in powder is much more reliable. Or goats milk, especielly if you can find raw goats milk.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ok a few more questions...when should i add probiotics or any supplements to feeding? is there anything i can do to boost its immune system? i'm keeping it sequestered from my two other (spayed/neutered/vaccinated/indoor) cats. at how many weeks should i introduce them for socialization?
Probiotics arent necessary if everything is going smoothly. But if you can get raw goats milk, yes its useful. This too comes from an alive momma, so it has some extras. At least potentially.

Re introducing them to your residents.
There is also the question of quarantine. Unless they are ex homeless with excellent immune system, you should have some quarantine till you are decently sure the kittens are healthy, deparasited, dewormed...

BUT the question is not only socialization, but if one of them may be a foster momma? Neutered males are often good at it.

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Much thanks to StefanZ and tinydestroyer for supporting me through the night. I added olive oil to his KMR and just got two beautiful perfect poops. The first thing he passed looked a little dry and might have been stopping him up. He gets sleepy after about 4-4.5 mL so I'm going to stay there if all other signs are go.
IMG_1096.jpg

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say your kitten is beautiful. Thank you for stepping up and taking such great care of him. I have no experience with bottle feeding but I remember when one of my friend's had to do it. She had no experience either. She found her baby when he was abandoned in an alley at 2 weeks old. I was not able to help her with bottle feeding because she lived too far away and at the time our work schedules were exactly the same. Her retired dad stepped up to feed the baby when she was at work. He lived much closer to her. I did get to meet her cat though when he was a baby. He is now a happy healthy adult.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a couple of things to add. Make sure the kitten has a heat source. A heating pad set on low wrapped in a towel is perfect. But have it so the kitten can move from it if it gets too warm.
Also, I don't know how you are feeding it, always have it on it's belly with the head raised slightly. Never feed it like you would a human baby.
As StefanZ StefanZ said, get powdered KMR. My personal favorite is to mix it 1 part KMR to 3 parts goats milk. Raw is best, but pasteurized is fine. Heat it up so that it's warm (never in microwave). You can test it on the inside of your forearm to see how hot it is. Just warm, not hot.

It is adorable. Thank you for saving it.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous baby! You're doing an amazing job! I agree about the goats milk. Keep us posted!

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been gaining great the past two days. I got powder KMR and have been mixing it half/half with the liquid mix I already had. I'm not sure if it's connected, but he's stopped latching onto the nipple and it's been difficult to get him to feed again. His mL per feeding have been down for the past 4-5 feedings. Poop schedule has been great, but I wonder if it's an upset stomach because of the change. I have him back on the original formula for the past two feedings but he's still pushing away.

Bizaleth54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To answer the other questions -- he has a heating pad and lots of blankets in his box and self-regulates by moving into different zones, I always make sure he's warm before being bottle-fed, he pooped this morning so I don't think he's backed up and it looked normal, when he was latching he would have around 4.5 mL before he stopped suckling, we're feeding him every 2-2.5 hours. During this time he didn't have diarrhea, so it seemed like his system was handling that volume fine. Now it's really difficult to get him to have 2.5 mL.