Bottle fed kittens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 bottle/syringe fed kittens. I have had them since they were less than a day old. They turn 2 weeks tomorrow. They have been doing so well but yesterday and today haven’t been good to them. They have pretty bad diarrhea (yellow in color and kinda chunky like cottage cheese) and they haven’t been eating well. They used to eat like champs but today they are eating less than 3ml or nothing at all. All of them were eating about 10ml every 2-3 hours. They are loosing weight and I’m really concerned. I’ve never had bottle babies do this before.. any help?

the photo is from a few days ago before they started being sick.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they may have coccidia, which is a parasite in the intestines that requires a round of Albon or Panacur. You’ll need to ask the vet for a prescription. Get them seen ASAP since they are losing weight. This is a dangerous time for them.

In the meantime, mix their formula with clear pedialyte rather than water. This will replenish lost electrolytes. Put honey or Karo syrup on their gums for a quick pick me up before feeding, and for those that are not eating, try to get at least a little pedialyte into them. They must stay hydrated.

Keep us posted on their condition and what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they may have coccidia, which is a parasite in the intestines that requires a round of Albon or Panacur. You’ll need to ask the vet for a prescription. Get them seen ASAP since they are losing weight. This is a dangerous time for them.

In the meantime, mix their formula with clear pedialyte rather than water. This will replenish lost electrolytes. Put honey or Karo syrup on their gums for a quick pick me up before feeding, and for those that are not eating, try to get at least a little pedialyte into them. They must stay hydrated.

Keep us posted on their condition and what the vet says!
I took them to the vet and he gave them glucose shots. He couldn’t really tell me much though. He didn’t even test for coccidia or anything. Just told me to take them home, keep them warm and try to get them to eat more often. I’ve been to this vet countless times and they always did so well but I’m frustrated that they didn’t try more. I’m going to try to get into a different vet tomorrow if I can.

they’re still not eating, I’ve been trying every hour now. They act like they’re hungry when I wake them up and bring the nipple to their mouths, they suckle a few times but refuse to eat a full syringe. They don’t even take 1ml now. I thought maybe the formula was expired or something but it’s not. they’re very weak and lethargic.

I have fostered a few litters before and have never had this happen before and it’s breaking my heart to see them this way :(

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you asked the vet for albon or other anti parasite drug? If not, could you phone and ask? He had already seen them, so he could prescribe over the phone.

I do agree with the advices already given.
I want just to mention, if you can get raw goats milk you could always try with this too. It has some potential, can help some, cant hurt.

During the time, if they dont take kmr, try with a full fill of flavorless pedialyte, as much you can get into them. They wont grow on it, but they will survive some time on it, and it may buy you time to the albon to begin to work. Pedialyte does contain some glucose. Also, you can and should put glucose (in practice it will be white caro syrup) on their gum inside of the lips.

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you asked the vet for albon or other anti parasite drug? If not, could you phone and ask? He had already seen them, so he could prescribe over the phone.

I do agree with the advices already given.
I want just to mention, if you can get raw goats milk you could always try with this too. It has some potential, can help some, cant hurt.

During the time, if they dont take kmr, try with a full fill of flavorless pedialyte, as much you can get into them. They wont grow on it, but they will survive some time on it, and it may buy you time to the albon to begin to work. Pedialyte does contain some glucose. Also, you can and should put glucose (in practice it will be white caro syrup) on their gum inside of the lips.
I got the Albon early this morning. I’m trying everything I can but unfortunately one has already passed. The others are eating but not very much, they’re still very weak and lethargic. I have been giving pedialyte and have gave them caro syrup on gums as well.

Prissycat162

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys.. I just wanted to update you. All 4 babies have unfortunately passed. I literally tried everything I could for them. I appreciate all of the help you gave me even if they didn’t make it in the end.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How sad! I’m so very sorry! You did what you could. RIP sweet babies! :angel: :rbheart:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear they didn't make it P Prissycat162 It sounds like you gave it your best shot.

:hugs:

I'll lock this thread now.

If you would like to start a thread in the kitten's memory please do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little kittens. We're sorry you couldn't stay longer than you did, but you were loved while you were here..

Status
Not open for further replies.