Both our cat's not so good results of new vet's bld work

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat 1.
has elevated 3.3 creatinine & slight high BUN. Vet thinks early CKD. She's unknown yrs & he thinks older than the 13 we think, upwards of 16 or so. Began Royal Canin kidney diet tonite but what do you all think? She has drank & urinated more over past few months but we did make a huge cross USA move 6 mos. ago, thus the added kidney stress??

Cat 2.
our feral. He's FiV pos. since we 1st found out Dec. 2019 & had I known to refuse ALL VACCINES & SEDATION MEDS FOREVER before NOW :( I'd have spared him a vet trip today & more stress on HIS comprimised Immune Sys! He's got elevated Bun level of 71 & high Creatinine of 2.9 on today's bld wk SHOWING A SNAPSHOT-IN-TIME-BLOOD TEST but how much is really indicative over a trending timeline?? But the vet's worry is low RBC & WBC counts indicative of FiV progressing & running its course of about 8yrs til progressive decline. He was thought to be 5-6 yr old by our old vet & us past summer, but new all-cat vet says more like 8 yrs, at least, tho I'm unsure if this is true? No reason to EVER vaccinate, sedate or otherwise subject a weak Immune Sys Cat to chemicals -- including perfumes on vets or their techs which ends as residual on cats as they lick & ingest more harm!

OK, any ideas re Immune Boosters? Have used VetriScience Lysine chews for several yrs even as he was outside as a feral. I give (or try to get in him) 4 chews x 250mg = 1000mg/day. He does not always eat them tho. :( Any other Holistic Immune boosters?? TY all. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
EVERY time we see a vet our cats smell like perfume. :( This is contraindicated for most cat's health thus how can we address this?? OK, just FYI & food for thought? Be adivsed this CANNOT help your cats' overall health by ingesting these when licking themselves.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't address immune boosters, but wanted to ask if you have checked out this web site for info on kidney issues -
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

I wonder about the perfume smell - could that be the result of hand sanitizers or anti-bacterial soaps used by the vet/staff? At any rate, you could take unscented, hypoallergenic wipes and gently wipe down your cats' hair when you get home from the vet's office. The wipes are not overly wet, but I have used them on Feeby's booty when she was having some cleaning issues and they did the trick.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that vets wearing perfume is going to impact your cat’s health during a short visit unless they’re wearing an abnormally large amount of perfume and then somehow getting the liquid on your cat. People put on a very small amount of perfume that is absorbed into the skin, they’re not smearing it on everything they touch for the whole day. Basically, I wouldn’t assume that because your cat smells faintly like perfume that means it’s actually on their fur - it’s made to be a scent that sticks around, scent molecules are not the same as the perfume itself. I guess you could tell the vet you’re sensitive to fragrances and they might make an effort to avoid them.

is your FIV+ cat showing any physical signs of being sick or is it just the blood work?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am not that familiar with FIV but I do have a 4 year old who has had elevated BUN for most of his life and I am currently working my way down Tanya's list of foods. Jamie refused Royal Canin and Science Diet; if yours is happy with those foods, that is great. The list is very comprehensive if you need to use it.

As for perfume, I cannot stand any fragrance and find it odd in a medical setting, but agree that they certainly did not spray your cat with it and probably caused no harm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY both for your input! Yes re Tanya's site & it does help as I know kidney dis. can be managed for awhile. I've seen numbers online searches that are far out of sight then either our cats numbers yet.

As far as perfume/dyes, yes I'm just OCD re chemicals period so this juts adds belief that ANYTHING is worse than nothing. I know it is over the top but its my beliefs. My g/f is driven totally nuts by me re this belief. LOL

AS far as clinical signs vs bld wk; he is lethargic, but eats, drinks, uses box & walks a little around apt but v little. This is of course, less activity than when he was outside & feral/unfixed before past summer so this hurts seeing him from spunky, wandering, climbing low fence/walls, etc. to sedentary. I think he's happier tho not fighting or defending himself etc. It is a even split/ a wash. 50% happier, 50% more confined/unhappy. At least tho--he gets food, h20, a box he never had outdoors, safety, vet care, etc.

Like a homeless person -- less freedom to wander but assured safety, food, etc. in a shelter.