Both my cats have loose stools

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female, 9yr old indoor cats.

Six days ago, one of them developed frequent loose stools which lasted a couple of days then subsided.

Three days later, the other one randomly vomited once then also developed frequent loose stools for a couple of days (as of yesterday). Also, her appetite has gone off a bit.

Now I think the first one might be doing it again. They poopped six times between them yesterday. I can definitely account for three. First cat once, second cat twice. But don't know who was responsible for the other three, or they both were.

Woke up today and another little soft poop was in the tray.

They are both drinking and have eaten nothing out of the ordinary. I waiting for a call back from the vets but have been told this will not be until the end of the day. Which is about another 10hrs where I am.

Anyone know why this could be happening to both of them?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like one of them caught a bacteria/virus and the other caught it from her. Their food might have gone bad earlier than it was supposed to. Or another resident of the house brought something in - it can happen with just shoes. Or if they drink tap water, maybe something was wrong with the water.

Your description also makes me think of worms but I guess it's not very likely the timing would be this close for both of them. Did the vet test their stools?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a deep breath. While you do need to get to the bottom of this, it isn't a problem to wait on the call from the vet. They are eating and drinking well, so there is nothing too seriously wrong with them! This evening will be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks. No they are not really eating well. One has really lost get appetite. Have an vet app in a couple of hours.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I was going to suggest you could take a fecal sample for testing to the vet's without an appointment (most vets will accept them). But, since you already have an appt. scheduled, ask about a full fecal PCR test, which will look for not only parasites but a number of bacterial issues as well. Since they both use the same litter box, it would be easy to transfer parasites or bacteria from one to the other.

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a great idea. Unfortunately I do not have a sample to take 😕

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened to my three and I think it was a bad wet food can. Heat waves and cat food in shipment don't mix.
I tried a little bit of plain Kefir without any added sugars but maybe they dont need all 12 of the probiotics in it? Check with vets on this.
It resolved the smelly butts by next day, and the runs.
I've seen lots of good reports of chickory root extract which is a pre-biotic that the pro biotic bugs need to thrive.
Were they on antibiotics recently or other meds?
Its normal in my 3 to see some loose stools now and then.
Hope its nothing serious.

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, well the vet thinks it's some kind of infection that one has picked up and passed to the other, even though they are very low risk with being indoors.

The problem I have with pro-biotics is neither of them will have anything on their food. You can't get any paste on them, pill them, it's a nightmare. Plus, they're are nauseous. One in particular, who is a big eater, is just picking and gas been since Wednesday. Vet refused to give anti-sickness.

Not sure what I think, tbh.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For an infection, they would need antibiotics. Not sure why the vet didn't prescribe anti-nausea, but maybe because you indicated they are tough to get meds into them? There is a injection that could be done for anti-nausea - a shot of metoclopramide, or similar med. Antibiotics can also be administered via injection.

I have successfully tried the following in order to get meds into Feeby: baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut), and canned tuna or chicken water - just enough of each to mask the meds and ensure they eat it all. Tiki Cat Mousse is an almost puree food that easily can be used to administer meds in the same way. There are also lickable cat treats - purees - such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Vitakraft, and Inaba Churu. None of these are pastes.

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they have been given anti-sickness shots previously when they have had the occasional gut issue. She was flat out not willing to give them any type of treatment. I kept getting told, "if it doesn't improve, bring a fecal sample" But I just felt there was more that could have been done. I don't know??,She said she doesn't given anti-sickness unless they are vomiting. But you can be nauseous without vomiting.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, they have been given anti-sickness shots previously when they have had the occasional gut issue. She was flat out not willing to give them any type of treatment. I kept getting told, "if it doesn't improve, bring a fecal sample" But I just felt there was more that could have been done. I don't know??,She said she doesn't given anti-sickness unless they are vomiting. But you can be nauseous without vomiting.
Excuse me, but a vet CAN get a fecal sample without your help. It may not be pleasant, but they collect feces with a rectal swab. Until you find a better vet (please look for one), get the fecal sample and take it to the vet. Unless she's got some issue most other vets don't, the fecal sample can contain litter.

And, yes cats - and humans - can be nauseous and not want to eat without necessarily throwing up. Maybe you should tell her that NOW they are vomiting. No, I go with my original comment - find another vet!!

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm doing same thing. He offers no hope and refused to do an ultrasound. Prob. doesn't have one. Very curt rushed and rude ish
Ok shes 19 but thats no reason to refuse to know more. I would try foods for sensitive stomachs, limited ingredients? I bet you've done that.

Lindyhopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, where I am, due to Covid, no vet practices are registering new patients. We've been with this practice since I was a kid, so about 35yrs. Buts it was taken over by a chain recently and the prices went up but the quality went down.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem I have with pro-biotics is neither of them will have anything on their food. You can't get any paste on them, pill them, it's a nightmare
Have you tried Fortiflora? It's both probiotics and an appetite enhancer so helps them to eat too. And it has a few vitamins -- it also supports the immune system in that way as well.