Both Cats Stopped Eating Their Regular Food?

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cats eat Taste of the Wild dry food and Sheba wet food everyday, I recently bought a new bag of the Taste of the Wild (same kind they were devouring before), and neither went near it, instead digging at the floor around it. Later in the day they finally started eating some of it but only a little and it didn't look like they were enjoying it. I gave them some Sheba wet food and while they usually love it, this time they just sniffed it and started scratching at the floor around the bowls again. It's so strange, they seem completely normal other than the food issue. I'm afraid to get them a new kind of dry and wet food in fear that it'll disrupt their digestive systems and cause issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you started using a different cleaning product on the floor or bowls? Maybe that is the cause.

It could be a change in the food formula or a problem with the particular batch. I'd contact the store or manufacturer and see about exchanging for a different bag. If they still don't go for it you might have to change their food. You don't want them to stop eating as that can be bad for cats quickly.

Since they both are having the problem and doesn't sound like other symptoms I don't know if a vet visit is called for. But if something else pops up or it continues I would see the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It would be weirdly coincidental for both types of food to have a bad batch, or a change in ingredients, but you never know. Could they be 'knock offs'? Sounds extreme, I know, but it is happening with all kinds of products.

If you did something as Kieka Kieka suggested with the floors, say a refinishing or different type cleansers - something to that affect - you could try to place the bowls on a sizeable piece of cardboard (or throw rug) and see if that changes their reaction. Even a dish soap change when washing the bowls might be affecting them.

If you do change the food, do it slowly by adding some new to the old, and then more, etc. I realize they might not eat as much as you would like, but it will hopefully reduce the chances of digestive issues with the change.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cats eat Taste of the Wild dry food and Sheba wet food everyday, I recently bought a new bag of the Taste of the Wild (same kind they were devouring before), and neither went near it, instead digging at the floor around it. Later in the day they finally started eating some of it but only a little and it didn't look like they were enjoying it. I gave them some Sheba wet food and while they usually love it, this time they just sniffed it and started scratching at the floor around the bowls again. It's so strange, they seem completely normal other than the food issue. I'm afraid to get them a new kind of dry and wet food in fear that it'll disrupt their digestive systems and cause issues. Has anyone else experienced this?
You said the bag of the dry food was a new bag, and they didn't want it, but then gave them some wet and they didn't want it either. Was the wet food from a new batch, or was it part of the batch they were always happy to eat?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like something is off in or around the vicinity of the bowls. Stewart does that when he's trying to bury something he doesn't like and shouldn't be there. He keeps a tidy house. Even after he sprays something, he'll attempt to clean up and "bury" it. Same thing if I pick up Princess' vomit and haven't sprayed it over with vinegar water or nature's miracle. He'll go over the empty spot where she barfed, and bury the area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sara729

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the replies! They're both eating the food just fine now, the only thing I can think of is I was cleaning my apartment with vinegar and may have used a little too much, granted not around their feeding area but maybe the scent was too strong for them.