Both cats now showing Haws syndrome

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m stressed out now. I don’t see any soft poops going on but they seem to be eating lesser than usual. It started with Meimey 3 weeks ago when she had soft stools.
After deworming and some boiled chicken the stools have been normal for about 15 days now. Her haws are still up.
Meffy’s started yesterday. She’s pooping normal but seems to be eating less. I notice neither finished their dry and wet food since Monday where usually the dish would be empty when I come home.

Is something wrong with my cats? Why do both of them have the same symptoms? They’re both still active and playing as normal as far as I can see. Meffy’s eyes has some discharge too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Haws syndrome is not considered contagious, however other issues that can mimic Haw's may be - such as various worms, viruses, or bacterial infections. The third eyelid showing is a general sign of some sort of illness.

I would contact your vet and tell them what is going on. They might suggest some testing be done to see if they can pinpoint the cause.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. Haws syndrome is not considered contagious, however other issues that can mimic Haw's may be - such as various worms, viruses, or bacterial infections. The third eyelid showing is a general sign of some sort of illness.

I would contact your vet and tell them what is going on. They might suggest some testing be done to see if they can pinpoint the cause.
I took them to another vet yesterday. He also didn’t suggest any other tests to be done since they are behaving, eating, poop/peeing normally. He gave them eye drops though. So it’s pretty much what the earlier vet said, that it could be viral and it will pass. And told me to come back if they started showing other signs.

A couple of articles I read on Google also said the same thing. I don’t want stress them out (and myself) by lugging them around from one clinic to another so I guess I’ll just wait and see. Meffy was already super pissed to be handled by the vet yesterday. I can’t even get eye drops on her but she lets me wipe her eyes of discharge.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s been about 4 weeks now for Meimey and Meffy’s case is over a week. I’m not sure if Meimey’s eyes are completely normal yet but I would say it is not “half open” like 2 weeks ago. Sometimes I notice the haws only around the sides. The discharge is a lot lesser too. Does this mean she’s healing and her eyes will be back to normal soon?

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meimey’s eyes are back to normal now. So it took about 5 weeks. But she’s lost a bit of weight, about 400g since this started in February. She used to be 5.5kg. I hope that isn’t a concern.
Now I have to wait for Meffy’s eyes to recover too. It’s coming to 3 weeks now.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update: Meffy’s eyes are also back to normal now however it is still teary at times. When the haws was up, she had brownish tears/discharge that would collect below her eyes. Now that the haws are back to normal, I still see some tears although not as bad weeks before lids are not pink either.

I’m not putting anything for her eyes since the vet didn’t prescribe anything. She’s also not bothered by it since it is not causing her eye to shut. I’m only wiping them with a damp cotton twice a day (or whenever I see dried tears).

Is doing so enough and it will soon go away?