Both Cats Eat Random Things.....

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I don’t know if its a nutrient deficiency or what. But both my cats will lick and eat non-food items.

It went from cords to my bra straps to now my tank top. What can be done about this? I bought chewable toys, etc. But I can’t deter the behavior and I’m concerned about their health.

Oh BTW, my tank top strap isn’t thin.

B8557C1E-7C29-4E7D-B2C3-4712125A599A.jpeg

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they, what do they eat and how much and often?
Are they related in any way?
If you look at their teeth, how do their gums look (pink and healthy, red, inflamed, etc)?
Might be worth a vet trip if you can't figure this out.
:hellocomputer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old are they, what do they eat and how much and often?
Are they related in any way?
If you look at their teeth, how do their gums look (pink and healthy, red, inflamed, etc)?
Might be worth a vet trip if you can't figure this out.
:hellocomputer:
They are about 8 months and siblings. THey’re gums are healthy. Nothing unusual about their behavior, playing, fighting, eating.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. You said they try to eat non-food items, but in your examples they all related to your clothing. Your soap, lotion, etc?
I keep harmful products out of the way as much as possible. However one of them did eat my expensive MAC brush - the bristles.

They will lick anything. I even went as far as buying lime juice and putting it on everything. THere doesnt seem to be a true deterrent.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be asking the vet, this is kind of strange that both of them are doing this at such a young age!
Nutrient deficiencies can do this, but it's hard to tell what the deficient nutrient is.
I'm curious what would happen if you took something simple, like a medium sized rubber dog toy and soaked/smeared it in chicken broth or tuna juice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They are attracted to something you use on yourself, as far as I can tell from what you've described. But, yes, the question remains: why both? If they are siblings, they both could have the same draw to whatever it is.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are attracted to something you use on yourself, as far as I can tell from what you've described. But, yes, the question remains: why both? If they are siblings, they both could have the same draw to whatever it is.
Missy mimics Buddy in everything. Such as eating, exploring a closet, playing with a toy, etc. She won’t do anything unless he has done it at least once or twist.

As for Buddy, the initiator, it could be my scent. He likes to lick me - I hate it - but.....

I think I’ll take Buddy to the Vet to see what needs to be done.

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As kittens, my cats would just eat non-food items off of the floor just to find out what they were (kind of like babies). We asked the vet about it and he said they were fine, that they were probably just exploring, and that they'd grow out of it. They've stopped now...

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welp! It was Buddy that ate my shirt strap. When I know they’ve eaten something they shouldn’t I will give them pumpkin to help push it out.

So just a few minutes ago, Buddy went to poop and I noticed poop hanging from his rear. It was a piece of my chewed up shirt. So I cut the string and cleaned him up.

I’m going to watch him and see if I need to take him to the vet. . He has poop several times today. So I don’t think he’s clogged.