Bossy Calico!

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a very bossy former feral calico. She is sweet, but extremely demanding.

It takes me ages to fall asleep, and when I do I'm an extremely light sleeper. Unfortunately, there's no place to put my bed where my cat couldn't get up in the window, so at night I shut her out. She's ok with this until 5 AM or so, when I get up, feed her, get her clean water, scoop her box, and give her a bit of petting. But lately she has been scratching the doorframe and yowling to get into my room.

I have a sleep disorder, my body can't wake up before noon, well, unless I haven't gotten more sleep than a nap. So I let her in but then she's jumping in my window, crawling all over my dresser, walking all over my face, etc. I am chronically exhausted since I have been living on about three hours of sleep a night for a the past month.

I give her ample time to cuddle before I go to bed. She doesn't play with cat toys or anything.

I need help. I am at my wits end. If I took her to the shelter (we have no rescues within an hour's drive) she would be put down in 24 hours. And I couldn't live with that. I don't want to get rid of her but my health is beginning to suffer.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you engage in play with her?  How about a wand toy ( da bird is the best) or a laser pointer?  You really want to get her moving and tire her out.  I would do this a few times a day.  The play session should last 10 minutes or so.  You really want her up and moving.  This is a great bonding time.  Check out the da bird wand toy.  Amazon sells them.  Cats love them.  Neko flies are great too. 

Allow your cat to hunt, catch,kill, eat, groom and sleep.  You play with the cat to satisfy the hunt, catch, kill.  Next give the cat a small meal or snack to satisfy the "eat".  Next she will groom herself and take a nap.  Yet the play session has to be tiring. 

Also a window perch in another room would be great.  Somewhere other than your room where she can look at the window.  She is bored and is craving your attention.  A tiring play session will help, but she needs other things to keep her mind occupied.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

revenwyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried engaging in play with her. I have gotten her all kinds of toys. She doesn't play. Period. She's simply not interested. She has no hunting drive either. Even when she was feral she had her brothers hunting for her. There is another window she can look out of, but our other cat monopolizes it, though our cat tree is next to it and sometimes we'll see her looking out from it when we come home.

We give her occassional treats when she respond to commands. Sit, Shake, Beg. She does those and we feed her a treat. Other than that she likes being petted and will come to me to cuddle when she wants it. She has just simply never been interested in playing.