Boris with heart problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Boris is at the emergency vets.  He was breathing rapidly, lethargic and was not eating.  We got to the emergency vets at 4:30 AM.  The vet said that he is in bad shape and that his heart might fail.  I am devastated and confused.  He has never had a medical problem before, in fact. my vet said he was one of the healthiest cats he sees.  He needs to respond to the medicine in the next 24 hours or the prognosis is bad.  Please keep him in your prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is recommending euthanasia. I never dreamed this could happen.

I don't want him to suffer, but this is so sudden I'm having trouble making a decision. I have asked her to wait a while. If she still recommends it later today I will have to let him go. The pain is killing me.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this.

What does your vet say is causing the problem?

You did the right thing by taking him to the ER vet as soon as you could. I really hope he pulls through.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
 They need to do an ultrasound on his heart to find out what exactly is going on. If he has fluid in his heart/lungs they can give him a diuretic? I hate that they are not even trying to stabilize him. There are a number of meds to help heart disease but it will take commitment. And the dreaded pilling. Is your cat pillable?

Sending you guys hugs and energy to help Boris make it until you can figure out what to do. 

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet has given him drugs to stabilize him. She says they are affecting his kidneys causing further problems. His heart is enlarged and full of fluid. She said the ultrasound will help guide her in long term treatment, but will not show her how to stop the crash he is in. He is not responding to the drug, lasix, a diuretic.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I am so sorry to hear this! I was just thinking about you the past few days, and hoping all was well. :-(

...... Prayers for Boris. ....

Such a shocking, sudden thing - my heart goes out to you! I don't know anything about fluid in the heart. Is the diuretic the only way to try to aid this?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no I am so sorry=that makes sense now.  I don't know what to say-I do know there are I THINK three different diuretics to try-but if he isn't responding-And I apologize for my wording of what I said earlier in regards to not treating=I admit I didn't read it all until after I posted-I was only trying to think of things to try...

I am sure your heartbroken. How very scary. Sending you hugs..

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also do you have a cardiologist to work with or does your vet also treat heart issues? I have had mixed feelings about who I want treating for various things BUT sometimes we are limited with who is available/money/issues getting appointments ASAP. This is the hard part=when you don't have time to look at all the options...and wanting to do everything you can but..sometimes the cats don't give us time to make decisions.

I will send you positive energies and prayers that somehow they find a way to stabilize him. I am so sorry again.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet is recommending euthanasia. I never dreamed this could happen.

I don't want him to suffer, but this is so sudden I'm having trouble making a decision. I have asked her to wait a while. If she still recommends it later today I will have to let him go. The pain is killing me.
Jim, I'm so sorry about Boris. 
  Did they try giving him oxygen? Sometimes these heart conditions can really creep up unexpectedly in cats of any age, and it truly is devastating. I recently lost my Sebastian the same way. He did have other serious problems, so with the addition of acute heart failure and a blood clot causing him to suffer in the end, I decided to let him go. My vet also gave him a grim prognosis. It really is such a difficult decision to make. My thoughts are with you, hon. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my goodness. I can't believe it. Your cats have always been so healthy.
I am so very sorry that this has happened and so quickly and unexpectedly. You are in my thoughts.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You're in all of our thoughts. Please update whenever you can.

Love and positive vibes for you and Boris.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
After talking with my regular vet, I decided to let Boris go.  He was crashing, would not make it without oxygen and was miserable.  My vet said that even if he pulled out of the crash, he would probably not make it more than six months and it would be an unpleasant six months for Boris.  I went by the emergency vet's.  She gave him a pain killer.  I sat with him fifteen minutes and then I let him go.  She gave him the shot and he was gone.  I sat with him another 20 minutes.  He will be cremated and I will keep an urn with his ashes.  

He was so special.  I never expected him to go so young, just short of his 4th birthday.  I am going to be devastated for a while.  I'm so glad I have other cats to cuddle this evening, but nothing will ever replace Boris.

He was the belly rub king, the lap kitty and had so much sweet personality.

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

After talking with my regular vet, I decided to let Boris go.  He was crashing, would not make it without oxygen and was miserable.  My vet said that even if he pulled out of the crash, he would probably not make it more than six months and it would be an unpleasant six months for Boris.  I went by the emergency vet's.  She gave him a pain killer.  I sat with him fifteen minutes and then I let him go.  She gave him the shot and he was gone.  I sat with him another 20 minutes.  He will be cremated and I will keep an urn with his ashes.  

He was so special.  I never expected him to go so young, just short of his 4th birthday.  I am going to be devastated for a while.  I'm so glad I have other cats to cuddle this evening, but nothing will ever replace Boris.

He was the belly rub king, the lap kitty and had so much sweet personality.
This is just heartbreaking!  
  I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know how much this hurts right now, and my thoughts are with you as you grieve over your special boy.  Boris will live forever in your heart. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be a terrible shock for you to lose Boris so suddenly. I'll lock this tread now, as a mark of respect.

When you feel ready please start a thread for Boris in our Crossing The Bridge forum.

Rest In Peace Boris, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.