Bored Mother Cat Of Sick Kitten

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mallow is a Siamese who we found starving in the woods, so we were not prepared when she had kittens at an early age before she could be fixed. She had 3 kittens way too early and they sadly passed away, unable to eat. She later had two more kittens a week later but one, we believe, was killed by fleas due to the mother having been allowed outside before they were born. We are now dealing with the fleas for the other kitten after learning how, but for two weeks she is undeveloped according to the vet she visited today.

According to the vet, little Mae is strong for her tiny yet chubby size, and should be fine if the fleas are controlled and she eats a lot. But mommy cat has begun exploring my room instead of feeding her. I was wondering if there was any way I could deal with this. Mallow is normally a sweet cat but almost bit me when I was desperately trying to make her stay there, not harming her but annoying her by putting her back over and over.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can close mom in the room with the kitten, and only let her out a couple of times a day for short breaks.

If she does not feed the kitten enough, and you do not supplement, the kitten may die.

Syringe Feeding

Mom needs a tube of Advantage II on her neck. You need to comb the kitten daily with a flea comb and pick off the fleas until the kitten is 5 weeks old and can have its own dose of Advantage for kittens.

Do you plan to spay the mom when the kitten is 8 weeks old?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoulMallow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. We are not letting her out of the house until after then either. She was an outside cat before now, and she's just barely an adult cat. She was a habit of carrying the baby by the ear, but the baby doesn't seem to care. She was not prepared for this and with the death of the others, she randomly tries to hide the baby but isn't allowed to leave my room so it's easy to watch.