Books, Books, and more Books !

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elinor, Dreamcatcher was good, but I am a Stephen King fan. It got a little weird, as expected. There is a great message on treating everyone with kindness throughout the entire book. Not as good as The Green Mile or The Stand, but worth reading.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Colby on Bag Of Bones...took a bit to get into it...but then I loved it! I can't wait to read Dreamcatcher!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just began reading Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell.

It is the book that the movie Apollo 13 is based upon.

So far I find it to be fascinating. There are a lot of facts, not only about 13, but also the fire in Apollo 1 and Lovell's voyage in Apollo 8.

I compare the book to The Perfect Storm. If you lived through this historical event or are at all interested in the space program, I highly recommend this book, unless you're one of those people who believe our moon missions were made up by NASA and the government.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just now I'm reading The South Pole: An Account of the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition in the "Fram," 1910-1912 by Captain Roald E. G. Amundsen (J. Murray; London, England; 1913). It's a wonderful read! Amundsen, as you may know, was hammered mercilessly by the British establishment for having dared best them in the "race" for the South Pole; but thankfully in recent years the fatal incompetence of Captain Robert F. Scott, which caused the deaths of himself and his comrades, has been made public by experts in the field of polar exploration.

Amundsen is generous in his praise of Scott and all other polar explorers, a kindness not returned by the British (even to this day). The matter of Scott's ego and Britain's chauvanism aside (as those topics are not discussed in Amundsen's book), one can't help but marvel at these various polar endeavors: the sixth continent was not set foot upon until 1895, so the early part of the 20th Century saw efforts great and small to field expeditions in the Arctic and Antarctic. Amundsen is that era's exemplar and greatest witness; and his book is accurate and fair, as well as exciting.

Deb, it sounds like we're more or less on the same page with our present books! I've always loved the space program, in spite of its fall from grace with the Congress of the United States during the 1970s and '80s. The introduction to Amundsen's book (it's a recent introduction) compares the polar exploration which took part in the early 1900s with the space program of that century's latter half, insofar as both space and the poles were basically unknown entities and uninfected by the human species.

=^..^=

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just read Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan. I loved it. I recommend it highly.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am absolutely in love with the space program. If there is any way I can get my own tush up in one of those things before I breathe my final breath, I will be there. I have passed this passion on to my son, who wants to be an astronaut or at least work for NASA.

For me, the Challenger disaster is my "JFK in Dallas" moment. I remember vividly exactly where I was and what I was doing when it occurred. As a matter of fact, living in Florida, I saw the "Y-shaped" smoke trails in the sky as I walked my class to lunch that day.

Challenger was a tragedy, not only for its loss of life, but also because it nipped the whole "Teacher in Space" concept in the bud.

havel1hv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just don't understand why we are at a standstill in the space department. I understand it is expensive for the government - but why hasn't the private industries entered into the fray? I know of very few people who wouldn't go up in a second! My husband and I would go in a heartbeat! Just haven't figured out how to get the cats litterboxes to work in space yet, but just give us a bit and we'll think of something!

Heather

Oh and back to the orig. subject - just finished Shadow Dawn by Chris Clairmont and George Lucas (Yes, THE George Lucas!). It's set in the world of Willow. Enjoyed it!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Deb25, That is a good analogy for the Challenger disaster, I also remember where I was when I first heard. I was a freshman in college, and I dropped by the TV lounge to watch something mindless. . . Needless to say I was shocked and saddened. The only space book I've read was Space by James Michener, long but fascinating.

I've just started reading a hilarious mystery called The Big Nap by Ayelet Waldman, about an overtired mother and her search for her missing babysitter. I don't have children, but I still laugh at her descriptions of motherly frustration. I am a teacher, so I guess I can relate on some level. . .

G

ghostuser

I just started reading the first Harry Potter book. I can't remember the title of it right now. Have any of you guys heard of Harry Potter? The book is really good so far. It's suppose be a kids book but I really like it. Alot of adults read them to.

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the Harry Potter books are great. You will definitely like the other 3 if you are enjoying the first. I don't think there are too many people who haven't heard of HP yet.
The upcoming movie will certainly help.

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AP I did try reading Bag of Bones after all and it was fantastic.

bren 1 I still cant get Dreamcatcher in the library but The Stand is there and maybe I will try reading that. I have to finish my Dean Koonz book first.

This is great.There are so many neat suggestions here. It makes it easier trying to pick out a book at the library when you have some suggestions.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elinor,

I'm so glad you gave bag of bones another shot! once you really get into it, all of SKs usual elements come into play. In my opinion it's one of his best works. Not only is it scary and intense, but it's beautiful and sad. I always cry when I read it.

I love Dean Koontz as well. What are you currently reading by him?

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AP I have just started to read Fear Nothing by Dean Koonz. Its about guy who has a condition where he cant be in any kind of bright light. It is a real condition but rare. I havent read far as my hubby got a hold of it and is reading it too.
It is good so far. I should just get another copy at the library as they have about five copies.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elinor!

fear nothing is a great book! the follow up is really good as well. I think it's called 'Sieze the night'. I really enjoyed both of them and have actually been thinking of rereading them.

Right now I'm reading a Jeffrey Deaver book called 'the blue nowhere' and then next on my list is 'dreamcatcher'.

Elinor, I strongly recommend www.half.com for books. I bought Dreamcatcher for $7.99 and that included shipping and handling.

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AP That site looks good but those prices must be in the states. It would be a lot more in Canadian dollars I think. Right now I am not working so I just borrow from the library. But thanks I will keep it in my favorites.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elinor,

that is in US dollars. I didn't even realize you were from Canada! I'm not that observant

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Elinor :angel2:

I think you're going to love that book, it was a great read for me. I've always liked Dean Koontz myself. He's been one of my favorite authors, but then again...there's so many great writers.

Happy Reading

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick afterthought, if you like Koontz...have you ever read Seize the Night...Wow! He's a true master of suspense!

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I have been able to sit down and read for pleasure (college had required to much reading as it was) but I did manage to read one book for pleasure - Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. For all you Judy Blume fans from elementary school, a couple of years ago she started wrighting adult books (I thinked they are geared towards female readers though). Summer Sisters was really good! It's about these two girls who spend every summer together at a beach house and how their relationship changes over the years as the grow older. She has one other book out but I can't remember the name.