Book of the Month Poll for September 2021 - Genre, you decide

What genre book should we read in September 2021?

• Auto/Biography

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Family Saga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SciFi/Fantasy

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Thriller/Mystery

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey fellow readers! :wave2:

We need your help to decide the genre of book we will read in September 2021.

There's 4 options:
Auto/Biography
Family Saga
SciFi/Fantasy

Thriller/Mystery

Poll will run for 7 days, and once it closes, we "behind the scenes" will discuss the result, and then announce the book we've chosen from the winning genre, via the regular book of the month thread, which for September will be posted in early August.

Your vote is anonymous, however, if you have any book suggestions, for any of the genres, feel free to post them. All suggestions will be considered. We do, however, tend to choose older releases, as they are more likely to be available in public libraries, than newer releases.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
A lot of fantasy stories are part of a trilogy or longer.. to me the good ones are. My favourite fantasy writers are Patrick Rothfuss and Robin Hobb, but their books are very long and a part of a series.
I'd be happy to try a scifi but it's not my usual area of reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks to everyone who's voted so far. Your votes help us see how many readers are out there, and where your book interests lie. So keep the votes coming !!!

A lot of fantasy stories are part of a trilogy or longer..
So I'm noticing, as I've been doing some Googling of the genre.

I'd be happy to try a scifi but it's not my usual area of reading
I've read a few books that I guess would be considered Sci Fi, but it's not my usual area of reading either, so I don't really know which ones are better than others.

I did find this site with Your Picks: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books, so it SciFi/Fantasy wins the poll, we'll possibly pick a book from that list.

How about The Handmaid's Tale?
That's # 22 on that list of 100 top sci fi/fantasy books.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about The Handmaid's Tale?
I will definitely not read it a second time - not even for TCS 🤣
But don't worry about me. Just go ahead.

I have problems getting into Sci-Fi/Fantasy but I am (half) willing to give the genre another try. What about "Frankenstein"? I have always wanted an excuse to actually read Mary Shelley's masterpiece.

The last book that I couldn't put down was "The End of Loneliness" by Benedikt Wells. It is a short family saga (230 pages) but may not be easily available. I'd much prefer a good family saga even to an excellent mystery.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Currently TIED folks!!! So more votes, please.

What about "Frankenstein"? I have always wanted an excuse to actually read Mary Shelley's masterpiece.
Good suggestion! I read it a year or so ago, and it was totally different from what I expected. As it's an "out of copyright" book, it's always available at my library, and also on Project Gutenburg.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'd like to recommend The Cuckoo's Calling, if it hasn't been mentioned before.
It's J K Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith and it's a wonderful crime thriller. Long, but she really shows she can write in this genre as well as put out some excellent fantasy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd like to recommend The Cuckoo's Calling, if it hasn't been mentioned before.
[/URL]

It's J K Rowling writing as Robert Galbraith and it's a wonderful crime thriller. Long, but she really shows she can write in this genre as well as put out some excellent fantasy.
I've heard both good and bad things about that series. But certainly something to consider, as we've not read a crime thriller yet.

how about the stand from stephen king ?
Just read the blurb for the book and "The plot centers on a pandemic of a weaponized strain of influenza that kills almost the entire world population." and it sounds a bit like what we're currently living through. :fear:But definitely we'll keep Stephen King in mind for a possible future book choice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1627138856300.png

I guess there wasn't a whole lot of suspense, since the winning genre has been leading the poll since the first day of voting. But it's official now, and with 50% of the votes the winning genre is

1627139258892.png

So now my cohorts and I will discuss various possibilities for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy book for us to read. We'll announce the book we choose in the regular monthly thread, which for September will be posted in early August.

Thanks to everyone who voted !!!! I think 16 votes is the highest response yet for one of our polls, so your participation is really appreciated. It's also exciting to see new possible readers for our little book club. Everyone is always welcome!

For those who voted for Thriller/Mystery, that tends to be our favourite genre, so there's certain to be more thrillers in our book club future.

We'll also have to consider Auto/Biographies, as well. Though I think it will be harder to find one that will appeal to everyone. Might have to do another poll to help us, when we decide to go with that genre.

While this thread was all about the upcoming book genre for September, you don't have to wait until September to read along with us. It's just a little over a week till August, when we'll be reading Girls With Bright Futures, so do consider joining us then. Here's the thread: August 2021 book of the month club

Thanks again for voting everyone. If we don't see you in August, see you in September.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

For those who voted for Thriller/Mystery, that tends to be our favourite genre, so there's certain to be more thrillers in our book club future.
Thriller/Mystery is one of my least favorite genres, so I haven't been participating. I love a good fantasy and used to read a lot of science fiction, so this might be interesting. If the fantasy is part of a series and people are willing to read the first book, they might find they want to continue the series on their own. I would recommend Game of Thrones, but I doubt Martin is ever going to finish the series. For those who watched the HBO adaptation, the books are better.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love a good fantasy and used to read a lot of science fiction, so this might be interesting.
Hope we choose something that will interest you. :crossfingers:

I would recommend Game of Thrones, but I doubt Martin is ever going to finish the series. For those who watched the HBO adaptation, the books are better.
How frustrating if he never finishes writing the book series. That will be as annoying as when tv shows are cancelled, leaving cliffhangers and unanswered questions.

I've never read the books, or watched GoT, but not surprised that that books are better, as I've found that's usually the case.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
THE most frustrating never-finisher is Patrick Rothfuss and his Kingkiller Chronicles.
The first two books are absolute classics and a must-read for fantasy lovers.. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.
His fans have been waiting ten years for the final in the trilogy!