Book Of The Month Club - October 2019

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
9. I felt the author was making a statement about suicide being a cowardly act and I disagree.
Hmmm... interesting. I didn't see it that way, just thought he killed himself like so many others did during the stock market crash of '29.

Question within a question: What did you think of Rick, Eleanor's husband? :argh:
Not much. Though I was shocked when it turned out he was still alive!

2) Uncle Arthur--would like more of his story and of Connie's, especially after they took the kids in.
Yes. For those kids, the mother being murdered and the father going to jail was probably the best thing that could have happened for their futures.

3) Yes, I did have to force myself to get through the book. I really pushed it the past week.
Sorry to read that. :( Hopefully we'll pick books you'll like better in future months.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1-5 *****? 3.5*
2. Who was your favorite character? I liked Uncle Leonard, he seemed the most relatable out of them. Jaded kid whose world views were greatly impacted by truths of his childhood who eventually mellowed and took responsibility when his family needed him.
3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book, or were you unable to put it down? I wanted to hear what happened next but it may have been harder if I was reading it in print rather then listening to it.
4. Would you read another book by the same author? Probably not. I was really annoyed with it not wrapping up who the killer was, I think I know but cliffhangers are not my favorite.
5. Did you learn something you didn’t know before? Not really. Reinforced that you shouldn't jump to conclusions about people's choices.
6. Whose life story did you enjoy most or do you have no preference? Probably the grandmother, horrible with names, she made some bad life choices but she seemed the most real to me. Someone who made the best of her situation and rolled with it but was forced to make some hard choices.
7. Did you find the characters believable? Somewhat. They were a little extreme in their direction. The grandmother who basically sold herself for opportunities her whole life, the mother who had one bad live experience and basically gave up on life and the daughter who ran away never to look back. Just very extreme. We've all had heartbreak but it doesn't break you, we've all had to make hard choices that might compromise our morals or values but it doesn't mean your whole life has to, we've all been disappointed by family but it doesn't mean you leave your family. It just felt a little convoluted at times and overly reactive.
8. Is there any part of the book you would change? I don't think the Christian aspect was really necessary. The last few chapters felt very forced for the angle with the father becoming a minister and the daughter suddenly forgiving when she had abandoned the family before. I am glad all the siblings lives ended up better then she anticipated and their childhoods did haunt them, but it didn't feel authentic. I do know born again Christian's that are that hardcore about redemption but it just felt forced after everything else.
9. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with? Eleanor was really not a good character for me. I can't imagine giving up so much on life that she just stopped living. I get that she was sick but the condition of the house and the children was too extreme even with that. She did a complete 180 after Rick and from how she was before I just don't see her doing that.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So is this it to the discussion of the book?
Did anyone else finish reading it?

I was wonder what their thoughts were about it?

It did span a few lifetimes, with many different settings, and times in history. The stockmarket crash, the depression, WWII, along with more current times. Poverty then and now..

Any thoughts on the depictions of the times?

I knew that women did replace men, doing factory work, during WWII. My mom was a glasswork blower at the local GE--sustained a serious burn on her arm, which left scars.

I did not know that women traveled from afar, to get those factory jobs.

The part before the SMCrash did portray a different time, along with very different lifestyles.
Women were definitely considered second class citizens, by the men.

Somehow this thought carried throughout the book.
They did survive, proving they are strong.

Ok, I will get on my high horse.

I just expected more comments on this..

I will probably start the next book, tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hoping more people had read it and waiting for more responses. I will add my thoughts later today.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
We have till the 28 to discuss it.

Two of my mother's cousins, my second cousins but my mother's age, went from Ohio to California
to work for Del Monte, canning tomatoes. They were not allowed to work if they were having their
periods???!!!!!

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I'm here!
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1-5 *****? 2
2. Who was your favorite character? Uncle Leonard also
3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book, or were you unable to put it down? I did struggle a bit
4. Would you read another book by the same author? I'm not sure if I would
5. Did you learn something you didn’t know before? I'm not a history buff, so there were a few nuggets in there.
6. Whose life story did you enjoy most or do you have no preference? No preference
7. Did you find the characters believable? Yes. I know there are thoughts on the religion but there are definitely people like that.
8. Is there any part of the book you would change? No
9. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with? I agree with the view on suicide.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I'm here!
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1-5 *****? 2
2. Who was your favorite character? Uncle Leonard also
3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book, or were you unable to put it down? I did struggle a bit
4. Would you read another book by the same author? I'm not sure if I would
5. Did you learn something you didn’t know before? I'm not a history buff, so there were a few nuggets in there.
6. Whose life story did you enjoy most or do you have no preference? No preference
7. Did you find the characters believable? Yes. I know there are thoughts on the religion but there are definitely people like that.
8. Is there any part of the book you would change? No
9. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with? I agree with the view on suicide.
On the author's (Fiona's) view that suicide is a cowardly act?

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops sorry no I meant I agree with the others view on suicide that it is NOT a cowardly act. There are so many factors that lead to it and it is a desperate act by a desperate person. I know people that have felt that it is a cowardly act but having worked with psych patients it is a feeling of last resort and a way to end the pain.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think having the questions ahead will help this time. I did start the book a ways back and I'll be honest I did have trouble remember some specifics. I will probably take some notes on this one as others have suggested.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
6. Whose life story did you enjoy most?

Although he wasn't a main character, I enjoyed Uncle Leonard's and he was my favorite. I like how he took
care of his sister's family, living with them while Donald was in prison. I did think Eleanor should have gotten
some help with her condition. That was the 70s and Social Services could have helped The condition of the
house was awful and I realize UL did the best he could but something more could have been done. I enjoyed
the part where UL was speaking at candidates night, lol.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still having trouble remembering things in the book, and as I borrowed the e-book from the library, and it's now been returned, I can't skim back through it. And Wiki doesn't have a page on the book So each additional reply here, helps refresh my memory.

Thanks artiemom artiemom for your lengthy reply, and BTW, I didn't take it as you being on a "high horse" at all. In fact, it's the kind of discussion comments we hoped for.

I don't have time, right now, to address everything that's been posted. But, like the Terminator, "I'll Be Back ..."

I do have a question, we can maybe discuss:

"Do you think Fiona's life would have been better if her father had never dragged her to America?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a munition factory a couple miles from where my mother lived but she went to India to nurse during WW11. She did that because she wanted to be independant as well as do her bit for the war, she was 21 years old. I think thats why Eleanor didnt stay close to home and choose the easier option. To me it showed strength of charactor but sadly Rick was her downfall, he sucked the life out of her and she couldnt cope with the utter betrayal then settled for Donald because he felt safe. Does anyone else have a different perspective, do you feel she was always weak?

As for Fiona, she would have had a simple but unfulfilled life of she had stayed and married Kevin Malloy. Although it wasnt initially her decision to go to America she did warm to it after giving it thought. Her father to an extent 'groomed' her to find a rich man. Arthur manipulated her and she believed all he said. I think she did what she had to do to survive and bring up her two children, stayed determined for as long as she could but realised she was left with little or no choice when she became the mistress of Mr Messina. A strong or weak woman, a bit of both I think. What do others think? How do you think you would have coped under those circumstances or do you feel you wouldnt have got into that position in the first place?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I knew that women did replace men, doing factory work, during WWII.
I didn't know that until somewhat recently when I read a couple other novels that took place during WWII.

Although he wasn't a main character, I enjoyed Uncle Leonard's and he was my favorite. I like how he took
care of his sister's family, living with them while Donald was in prison.
Did anyone else, at the beginning of Kathleen's story, think that either
a) Uncle Leonard was having an affair with Eleanor when Donald was away? Or that
b) he was going to try to molest Kathleen?

I was so happy when it turned out he really was Eleanor's brother, and that he really cared for her and her kids.

What do others think? How do you think you would have coped under those circumstances or do you feel you wouldnt have got into that position in the first place?
I would think I'd never have gotten into the position Fiona got into, however, who knows what you'd end up doing in a terrible situation as such she found herself in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got my copy Wednesday...been hard to hold off reading lol. Looks like a good book.
foxxycat foxxycat : Did you finish reading it? Thoughts?

I am still thinking about it, but if it starts in Oct. I should make up my mind soon!
Elphaba09 Elphaba09 : Did you end up reading it?

A book club, what a great idea! I won't be participating for October since I have two books to finish, but would love to join in later. I've always wanted to be in a book club!
nurseangel nurseangel : just a reminder that our November book read is coming up.

This is a great thread! I'm always open for more book recommendations, so I'll give these a go and check out the previous months :)
aliceneko aliceneko : Did you read the October book?

My library had a digital copy. I'm about 10% into it.
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Did you finish it?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone else, at the beginning of Kathleen's story, think that either
a) Uncle Leonard was having an affair with Eleanor when Donald was away? Or that
b) he was going to try to molest Kathleen?
No, I didn't think that but at first I wasn't sure about Uncle Leonard because he was staying there
so there would be a man in the house but the condition of the house kept bothering me. I never
felt he was going o molest Kathleen,

There was a munition factory a couple miles from where my mother lived but she went to India to nurse during WW11. She did that because she wanted to be independent as well as do her bit for the war, she was 21 years old. I think that's why Eleanor didn't stay close to home and choose the easier option. To me it showed strength of character but sadly Rick was her downfall, he sucked the life out of her and she couldn't cope with the utter betrayal then settled for Donald because he felt safe. Does anyone else have a different perspective, do you feel she was always weak?

As for Fiona, she would have had a simple but unfulfilled life of she had stayed and married Kevin Malloy. Although it wasn't initially her decision to go to America she did warm to it after giving it thought. Her father to an extent 'groomed' her to find a rich man. Arthur manipulated her and she believed all he said. I think she did what she had to do to survive and bring up her two children, stayed determined for as long as she could but realised she was left with little or no choice when she became the mistress of Mr Messina. A strong or weak woman, a bit of both I think. What do others think? How do you think you would have coped under those circumstances or do you feel you wouldn't have got into that position in the first place?

I don't think she was always weak but I feel she should've at least tried to do better. She had children to take care of and they went around in rags and dirty clothes and didn't have proper nutrition. Yes, she had an unfortunate time growing up but she should've
tried harder. Then to spring the Myasthenia Gravis at the end, imo, didn't make sense because she could've been on disability
and the family would have assistance. A member of a friend's family has it and she has been on disability since the 60s,

Fiona made some bad choices but she wanted to care for her family. I would have done anything within reason to care for my
children but to be a mistress for money is something I don't think I would've done. I felt she was seduced by Arthur's money
and believed him when he said he was getting a divorce, but how many times did she have to see him in print that he was not?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not finish it. I must admit to somewhat narrow tastes, and this book is not my style and to boot, I don't like flashbacks. I made it to 18%, though I did skip ahead several times. :dunno:
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but you got 18% through, so at least you gave it a good shot. And we know everyone won't enjoy every book we choose. Curious though, what type of book does your "narrow tastes" cover?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Cynthia

I was shocked when we as readers learned that Cynthia and Eleanor had been best friends during the war.
After learning that, I felt Cynthia should have made more of an effort to help Eleanor. Bringing clothing was
a kind act and asking Kathleen to attend Sunday school was as well. but I felt she should have done more.