Book Of The Month Club - October 2019

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished it yesterday but I'll have to return the hard copy and reserve it again because I can't renew again.
I want to have the hard copy when we discuss it. I really enjoyed it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished it yesterday but I'll have to return the hard copy and reserve it again because I can't renew again.
I want to have the hard copy when we discuss it. I really enjoyed it.
I'm hoping maybe the person who is currently borrowing the e-book will be done by the time we're discussing it, otherwise, I'm afraid I'll have trouble remembering things I wanted to mention. Next time I'll have to take notes as I'm reading.

Ok I'm off for 5 days for our Thanksgiving! It's going to be a read fest!

Have a nice long weekend, and Thanksgiving. 🇨🇦 Hope you have good weather. :sunshine:But then again, if you're reading, it probably doesn't matter. :read:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have a nice long weekend, and Thanksgiving. 🇨🇦 Hope you have good weather. :sunshine:But then again, if you're reading, it probably doesn't matter. :read:
[/QUOTE]

I can read outside in my yard if it's warm enough!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
About halfway through... need to find the November book.
Today and tomorrow will be reading days. Heavy rain expected.. They are fixing a few things in here.. so.... I am home.. With Geoffrey hiding.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
We will be discussing All She Ever Wanted by Lynn Austin from 22-28th of October. You still have time to read it if you're interested. rubysmama rubysmama will post the questions in this thread on Monday, 21 October in the evening.
Hope to see you join in the discussion!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it's already October 22nd in some parts of the world, that means it's time to start discussing our October book read. To get us started, here's some questions:

1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1-5 *****?
2. Who was your favorite character?
3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book, or were you unable to put it down?
4. Would you read another book by the same author?
5. Did you learn something you didn’t know before?
6. Whose life story did you enjoy most or do you have no preference?
7. Did you find the characters believable?
8. Is there any part of the book you would change?
9. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
1. I would rate it ***.5
2. My fave character was Uncle Leonard
9. I felt the author was making a statement about suicide being a cowardly act and I disagree.

I'll add more once others have posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Firstly this was not a book I would generally have looked twice at but I am so glad I have read it.

Q1 I would give it a rate of 5.
Q2 Eleanor was my favourite charactor. I love the story telling of her growing up, some of the descriptions were so funny and brought back memories of the 60's.
Q3 I really enjoyed reading it from start to finish to the extent that when I was coming to the end, I set my alarm 1 hour early so I could finish it.
Q4 I would read another book by her and hope its as good.
Q5 I cant think of anything that I learned from the book.
Q6 It was a close call between Eleonor and Fiona but I think Eleonor because of the antics with her brothers that made me smile often.
Q7 The characters were totally believable, I could easily visualize them.
Q8 I dont think I would change any part, I enjoyed the stories of the lives of Eleanor and Fiona and wanted a little more.
Q9 Cant say I disagreed with anything but once or twice the religious elements were too much for me.

Overall I thought the book flowed well from generation to generation, provided me with several enjoyable hours.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Q9 Cant say I disagreed with anything but once or twice the religious elements were too much for me.
I agree. I felt Donald coming out of prison sounding like Brother Love was a bit fake but the author' first
books considered Christian books, so I guess it's not surprising.

#6-I enjoyed Eleanor's story best, especially when she met Cynthia and they got jobs and livedther.
Question within a question: What did you think of Rick, Eleanor's husband? :argh:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book, or were you unable to put it down?
9. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

1) I would rate it as a 1

2) Uncle Arthur--would like more of his story and of Connie's, especially after they took the kids in.

3) Yes, I did have to force myself to get through the book. I really pushed it the past week.

4) No, I do not think I would want to read another book by this author

5) I really did not learn much, actually, I kind of guessed the plots as they went along.

6) no preference

7) I guess...not much of an opinion. I think the author took stories from many people and combined it into a few.

8) I think the religion was a bit too much. Do not get me wrong, I am a practicing Catholic, and have read other "Christy" award winners, but this seemed to forced to me. I understand what the author was trying to convey. To me, it seemed as if the religious aspect could have very easily been left out, perhaps being a better read. It seemed as if the author had religion as a main focus of the plot. She turned each piece of 'badness' into a caricature of what happens when you turn away from God.

Yes, the father becoming a 'minister' was a bit much.

9) probably what I had stated in question 8... The religion seemed forced and added in, as a filler-- to get her point across.

Rick was an @@@hole. Plain and simple. He wanted what he wanted. I am sure there was a good amount of this happening during WWII.

Just kind of the basis of the stereotypical smooth rich politician.. without morals. A spoiled rich kid, who, at one time, was faced with his own mortality--turned decent when faced with the possibility of death; reverting back to his former self, when that threat disappeared.

Sorry if I offended anyone, with my blunt views..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, wish I'd taken notes while I was reading, because I've already read 1 complete book, and on my 2nd one, since I finished "All She Ever Wanted", so already my memory of the book is fuzzy.

2 1/2 or 3 stars

Not sure. No one really stands out, though, the minor character, Connie, is probably one I'd like to read more about.

No. I read it quite quickly, as I enjoyed all 3 of the women's stories.

Probably not. I was not familiar with the author, and didn't know this was a Christian fiction novel when I started, and at times I found the religious aspects preachy. And if there'd been much more, it would have ruined the book for me.

Again, wish I'd taken notes. I like reading historical novels, and I think I did learn something in Eleanor's WWII story, but don't remember what it was. :hmmm:

I liked all 3 of the life stories, but probably enjoyed Eleanor's the best, as I've been on a bit of a WWII historical fiction kick.

For the most part, yes. But so many of them finding religion seemed a bit of a stretch. Funnily enough, though, I thought Donald finding religion in prison was something that might happen, seeing that he spent decades in jail, and might have found himself bored and ended up at a church service, or speaking with the prison chaplain.

Make it less like the author was pushing her religious beliefs on the reader.

Not really, as I didn't disagree with her beliefs, just didn't need them so obvious in her novel.