Book Of The Month Club - October 2019

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I haven't read it yet but I got a rainy Sunday coming so will give it a whirl..I probably will like this story as I tend to be drawn to stories of less fortunate folks and how they survive.
Hope you like it. :crossfingers:

Anyone else have any point of views they would like to discuss?
Not really a discussion, but I chuckled with Fiona cut her hair and bought the new dress, and her father was shocked because her ankles were showing! I wonder what people from that era would think of today's fashions if they were suddenly dropped into 2019.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you like it. :crossfingers:

Not really a discussion, but I chuckled with Fiona cut her hair and bought the new dress, and her father was shocked because her ankles were showing! I wonder what people from that era would think of today's fashions if they were suddenly dropped into 2019.
They would all drop dead, ha!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[/QUOTE]

I think they would be absolutely appalled. I would think you coudnt believe what they were looking at.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cynthia

I was shocked when we as readers learned that Cynthia and Eleanor had been best friends during the war.
After learning that, I felt Cynthia should have made more of an effort to help Eleanor. Bringing clothing was
a kind act and asking Kathleen to attend Sunday school was as well. but I felt she should have done more.
I thought that as well. And maybe Cynthia did try, but wasn't Eleanor nasty when Cynthia brought the clothes. That's kinda the problem trying to tell 3 women's life stories in one book. It's hard to cover everything.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but you got 18% through, so at least you gave it a good shot. And we know everyone won't enjoy every book we choose. Curious though, what type of book does your "narrow tastes" cover?
My first love is sci-fi. Then fantasy. Also mysteries. Lately I have read some police procedurals, though violence level must be low. Also I have read some cozy mysteries I have enjoyed. And I like classic literature also. Recently read Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice again.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wondered why Cynthia was helping Eleanor and the children so much. Does anyone think she should have been open with who she was and her connection or do you think it would have made matters worse?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first love is sci-fi. Then fantasy. Also mysteries. Lately I have read some police procedurals, though violence level must be low. Also I have read some cozy mysteries I have enjoyed. And I like classic literature also. Recently read Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice again.
We might need you to suggest some books in the sci-fi and fantasy genres, as we plan to include both in future book choices. Also, a classic literature could work.

November's book is a mystery, so maybe you might enjoy it.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I wondered why Cynthia was helping Eleanor and the children so much. Does anyone think she should have been open with who she was and her connection or do you think it would have made matters worse?
I definitely feel that way. It was all well and good that church members showed up on Christmas Eve with gifts but Cynthia should have done more. She considered herself to be a Christian and helping others is an important tenet of Christianity. Eleanor was her best friend back in he day. She should've gone to her house and made her talk to her or ask Uncle Leonard what was going on.

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
And I like classic literature also. Recently read Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice again.
What other classics do you like? Have you read Rebecca, maybe one of the first psychological thrillers?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I have not been around for a while. Just stuff going on.

I thought that as well. And maybe Cynthia did try, but wasn't Eleanor nasty when Cynthia brought the clothes. That's kinda the problem trying to tell 3 women's life stories in one book. It's hard to cover everything.
I think Cynthia, after all she was a good friend of Eleanor's, should have been trying to help Eleanor sooner. I wonder why she decided to 'help' at that point in life? Perhaps her marriage was falling apart, and she was remembering back to better times??? Ot was it guilt? that she did not 'help' sooner.

I have alway 'drifted' to the time during WWII. Perhaps it is due to fantasizing about the period? I do not know.

I kind of like the way, the entire country pitched in, to help the war effort. I do not know how I would have done/ My grandparents had a mini-farm, in the city. They owned a lot of property, and had a huge garden. My mom went to work in the GE. I do not know about my other aunt. But, it seemed that they appreciated things/people more during that time period.

It seemed the women stuck together, became friends; due to a common goal.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So the discussion of our October book was from the 22nd to the 28th, so technically we're done. So thanks to everyone who read along with us, and joined in the discussion part as well. I hope you'll all consider reading our November book too. :read:

rubysmama rubysmama I got the first 3 chapters read. So far I really like the story..just my kind of story. Mom and daughter relationships are so complicated...
Glad you're enjoying it, foxxycat foxxycat . Do share your thoughts and opinions here, once you finish.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I was able to find a reader app called
scribd and it's 9 bucks a month-I found more books here than any other webpage with books included including all Lynn Austin's books for one flat price-now as someone who collects books and it takes up room-this is a GREAT ap!!!

I will post this on the other reading thread but found this out by accident researching unrelated other items.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
What other classics do you like? Have you read Rebecca, maybe one of the first psychological thrillers?
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I have been out of commission for a while!

Not into thrillers. I know Hitchcock made a movie from Rebecca, but I only like a couple of Hitchcock movies. :dunno:

I love Dickens and Twain - both cat lovers, of course! I feel Charles Dickens did so much to open people's eyes to the terrible conditions for the poor in England. Great man and great writer. I have so much respect for him. Mark Twain was so amusing to me, especially when I was young. And I love his cat quotes.

I simply can´t resist a cat, particularly a purring one. They are the cleanest, cunningest, and most intelligent things I know, outside of the girl you love, of course.

If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.

A home without a cat — and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat — may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?

Cats are the wildest of the tame and the tamest of the wild.

I recently read Maya Angelou's I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, though at only 50 years old, it may not be considered a classic yet.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
rubysmama rubysmama OMG that book was awesome! Once it got going and talked about the 1920s and such a sad story, it really is a good book. I'm up to page 323. The last page is 400. So I will definitely read her other books that are available on that app I mentioned earlier...I couldnt find too many new publications on that website but lots of older releases.

Anyways good work with picking this title. This is exactly what I love to read.

Right now I feel so bad for Fiona and how she became pregnant 2 times with that Arthur even though he lied to her about getting married. Made my soul to ache when things went south for them. What a coward he was to do what he did. Anyways gonna finish it tonight.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad your enjoying it foxxycat foxxycat , I loved it too. I think it covered a wide span of years well, believable charactors and funny in places.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama OMG that book was awesome! Once it got going and talked about the 1920s and such a sad story, it really is a good book. I'm up to page 323. The last page is 400. So I will definitely read her other books that are available on that app I mentioned earlier...I couldnt find too many new publications on that website but lots of older releases.

Anyways good work with picking this title. This is exactly what I love to read.
So glad you're enjoying it. :thumbsup: