Book Cover - two concepts, cannot decide which one!

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, this book will not make a single dime. I am printing every single book at cost to help provide this story for those going through hardship and for organizations that work with individuals with developmental disabilities. I wanted to say this since I am not promoting this to make money, but to make this book everything I know it can be.

117181227_10222402711511896_2655303478690517277_n.jpg

117294429_10222402711751902_4702522198567221504_n.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Wow, what a story, and I'd be very interested in getting this book when it come out!

At first glance I like the upper cover but the more I looked the better I like the bottom one :)

Thank you for the opportunity to weigh in :heartshape:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the second one. Even though it's composed of multiple images, altogether it seems less busy.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess it depends on what you are trying to covey.
I like both but for different reasons.
The first one feels more like the book is about enlightenment with a more spiritual aspect.
The second has more of an informational, "clinical" feel, but not cold or uninviting like a regular "text book".

I find myself gravitating to the second one, especially if you are hoping this will be more of a teaching tool. But I also love the that the layout clearly expresses what this book is about. I like that it's "clean".
The first one is beautiful, but seems more like a spiritual journey was taken, more self reflection rather than first hand experiences....I don't know if what I'm saying makes any sense...

Edit: Also, many books out there use a "starlit night sky" as back drop to many self help, spiritual, etc...type books. The second one really stands out and is different than what I've seen.

Last edited:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Both covers are beautiful, in my opinion!

The first, however, I probably wouldn't actually look at because while pretty, it's not as eye-catching to me as the second in terms of thinking "cat lover" so I would totally go with the second one! But like I said, both are super pretty!

Would love to know when this goes on sale! Keep us updated please!!!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on what you're trying to say with the cover. The first one, to me, is a little off-putting, and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out why.
  1. I'm on my phone, so the screen is small. On the small screen, at first glance, I saw a stormy sky, not a sunset sky. I also missed the cool cat in the sky (really gorgeous, BTW).
  2. More importantly, the figure in the first picture appears to have his hands clenched. This makes me think he feels angry or threatened.
If you want the cover to reflect the frustration that people with Asperger's and their families often feel, go with the first cover. If that isn't what you intend, either make a minor adjustment to the figure on the first cover or go with the second cover. Both are beautiful.

Margret

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The first one is aesthetically pleasing, but the second one really pops. My eye is drawn by the bold font and the Siamese eyes in the graphic. You don’t want a work of art; you want to grab people’s attention so they’ll read it. Also, studies have shown that reverse type (white type on a black or color background) is harder to read for people with any degree of vision impairment. And if the print quality isn’t exact and the print registration is off at all, it makes it even harder to read. (Print registration is the layering of one color on top of the other, and if there’s an error, you’ll get a slight blurring effect.)

Readability studies have shown that serif type (the fonts with the little flags on the letters like your first sample) is easier for people to read in body copy than sans serif (like your second sample). That’s why you’ll often see headlines in sans serif type and body copy in serif fonts. Look at a newspaper and you’ll see the articles are in serif type. I’d suggest you leave the font as is in the second sample for the book title and headings, and change the description of your background to a serif font.

Probably waaay more feedback than you wanted! :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
While I think the second cover is really cute and clever I personally feel like the first cover pops out more due to the coloring and surreal images. The design of the first cover also reflects Zachariah's personal journey, while the second cover feels more like a clinical read on Asperger's.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go with the first. The second is nice but I like the colors and edginess of the first.
I am so sorry you went through so much early on but now you're on top!! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamic

Avid Siamese Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
2460D91B-76B0-4D1A-A99D-7068840E2C70.jpeg

Thank you all for your incredible feedback. After much deliberation, I have decided on this cover. I so much loved the other cover but I was emailed by several publishers who said the following: Books with a white background and a colorful title pop the most when on a shelf. Furthermore, the other cover that has the cat in the background is very hard to see from a distance and is near invisible when looking at it when shrunken down as a preview on Amazon. Finally, even from a far distance you can see this title and what it represents. Hopefully you all like it as much as I do.