Bones in VE duck & chicken !?

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought Vital Essentials freeze dried patties flavors duck & chicken From chewy. 2 days ago my bf noticed Peko was throwing up white pieces with fur 3 times while I was at work. He showed me a little piece it looked like a bone to me And it was super hard. So I gave her her regular wet food, Nutro beef cuts in gravy. Later in the night I took apart the patties and there were so Many bone pieces throughout the patty I couldn’t believe it. I contacted chewy asking if that food ever contained bones because I’ve bought it before and never had this problem. The woman said it’s probably the preservative! Seriously? Hard as a rock preservative! I was up all night looking to Find th ingredient. I stopped at allaboutcats.com it doesn’t give me a date on the article but the earliest comment was December 2020. On their website it says chicken with finely ground bone, and rabbit with finely ground bone. VE old patties were shaped round and now the bags I got were shaped square. Has anyone else notice this or have the same problem?
D2D200E8-E2B3-49D6-A728-0BE7F3B5ECA5.jpeg

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having ground bone in canned food is normal, but not when the pieces are that big. I'd contact the manufacturer.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would demand an answer and show them those pictures. Ground bone is fine and normal, pieces that big are not. I thought maybe they were pressure canned, and soft like sardine bones, but if they are hard, that is not right. Cats do swallow small bones with birds and mice, but they are not cooked and brittle.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their phone number goes to a mans voicemail and ive emailed them and filed complaints. She hasn’t pooped since but her poop was clay is colored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatwmn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve contacted chewy again and they’re informing ‘higher ups’ I just pray nothing bad happens to her.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried the contact info on the web site? There's a complaint form you can download and fill out and then email to a customer service address. It's way at the bottom of the page.

It's normal for commercial raw to contain bone. Vital Essentials doesn't specifically list bone in the ingredients but if it says "duck" one can assume that is whole ground up duck with bones included. The bone is usually ground up finely but occasionally you do find a big piece that could cause potential injury. It's probably just a bad batch. Always smush / crush up commercial raw food and check for any large bone pieces and pick those out before feeding. You may want to feed the Vital Essential mini nibs (kibble shape) freeze dried raw instead of the bigger patties / nuggets. I'd still check them for large bone pieces before feeding.