Boneless Recipe Using Hare Today Grind

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Hare Today’s turkey grind with bone has given one of my cats problems in the past. He vomited it up a few times, but there were other issues at hand so I don’t fully know what caused it. Nevertheless, I was recommended to try feeding them boneless turkey to see how they would react.

I bought boneless ground turkey thighs (100% meat) and a ground turkey organ mix (heart, gizzard, liver) which is 67% meat and 33% organ. Alnutrin with eggshell as the bone supplement will also be included. I’m using HT’s ratio calculator to find the proper balance of the two grinds. My question is, with boneless meals, is the ratio goal 90% meat and 10% organ since there’s the absence of bone? Or should it be a different ratio? I’m used to feeding them 80/10/10 grinds.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin uses 2 different percentages. Either 5% of meat weight or 7% of meat weight for liver. Anything in between that should be fine as well. Note that heart and gizzard are not secreting organs so they count as regular muscle meat. Only the liver content would count as organ.

Edit: I honestly think it's easier to just buy boneless meat and liver separately from hare today. It's what I do. You can also buy some heart to throw in their for the muscle portion to save on cost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alnutrin uses 2 different percentages. Either 5% of meat weight or 7% of meat weight for liver. Anything in between that should be fine as well. Note that heart and gizzard are not secreting organs so they count as regular muscle meat. Only the liver content would count as organ.
By the 5-7% are you saying that my grind should be 5-7% liver and subsequently, 93-95% meat? And yeah, the calculator I’m using counts heart & gizzard as meat which is why the organ mix I’m using is 67% meat

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the 5-7% are you saying that my grind should be 5-7% liver and subsequently, 93-95% meat? And yeah, the calculator I’m using counts heart & gizzard as meat which is why the organ mix I’m using is 67% meat
5-7% of the total weight of the meat. So if you have 100 pounds of meat you should use 5 to 7 pounds of liver. It's different from the prey model diet.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
5-7% of the total weight of the meat. So if you have 100 pounds of meat you should use 5 to 7 pounds of liver. It's different from the prey model diet.
Thank you, I also just read that on their website so I fully understand. I still am slightly confused though because on the package of their supplement with calcium, it says to add 3oz/85g of liver to 96oz/2765g of boneless meat. And calculating that out, that’s only 3% organ :(

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I also just read that on their website so I fully understand. I still am slightly confused though because on the package of their supplement with calcium, it says to add 3oz/85g of liver to 96oz/2765g of boneless meat. And calculating that out, that’s only 3% organ :(
But on their website they say 5%.
A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

Also take a look at their FAQ for #6:

"On the other hand do not feed too much liver either. The amount of liver should not exceed 10% of your formulation (all our recipes have about 6% of liver)."

Know What You Feed Your Cat - FAQs

On catinfo.org dr. Pierson's recipe says to use 1-2 oz for every pound of meat. She is a veterinarian who has been feeding raw for a very long time. Before it was very popular and well known like now.

I do think 3% is a bit low but they do have other supplements in there so maybe it makes up for it. I personally do minimum of 5% and go up to 7%. Fact of the matter is there isn't a hard rule for organt content. 10% might be too rich and cause diarrhea for some. But might be fine for other cats. So I don't think you need to stress too much.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This helps so much. So as long as I keep the liver content between those percentages, the rest of the recipe can be meat (and water for adding the supplement). One last question, is the 5-7% liver ratio a part of the total amount of food (meat + organ) or just the ratio of the meat weight? According to Dr. Pierson (whose site I've referenced for info before and love, so thank you for bringing out that detail!), 1-2 oz of liver per lb of meat is 5-11% liver of the total amount of food, so it seems to be a ratio of the former option I listed?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! This helps so much. So as long as I keep the liver content between those percentages, the rest of the recipe can be meat (and water for adding the supplement). One last question, is the 5-7% liver ratio a part of the total amount of food (meat + organ) or just the ratio of the meat weight? According to Dr. Pierson (whose site I've referenced for info before and love, so thank you for bringing out that detail!), 1-2 oz of liver per lb of meat is 5-11% liver of the total amount of food, so it seems to be a ratio of the former option I listed?
It's 5-7% of the muscle meat weight. 100 pounds of meat plus 5-7 pounds of liver. So for a total of 105-107 pounds of food before adding water.

For dr. P I think she is also pointing out there isn't a hard rule for liver content. You just need some.

everariana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's 5-7% of the muscle meat weight. 100 pounds of meat plus 5-7 pounds of liver. So for a total of 105-107 pounds of food before adding water.

For dr. P I think she is also pointing out there isn't a hard rule for liver content. You just need some.
Got it. Thank you so much!!