Bone Issues In My Cats Food

The Savi Obiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I'm new here I have a 12 week old male Savannah named Obi-wan. I got him at 5 weeks I gave him wet food for two weeks till I could tell from his poop he adjusted then I mixed in raw food for two weeks then for two weeks I laid the raw on top of his wet food and he seems to love the raw food.

I don't have a grinder only a food processor and I dont have access to just raw bone by itself, I don't want to use bone meal for issues I'v read about elsewhere online. Because of this the only/easiest way for me to give Obi-wan bone is to buy raw chicken wings put them in a bag and bash em with a hammer to break the bone before putting it in the food processor.

My issue is that I can't find anything online telling me how much the bone of a chicken wing weighs or even the bone/meat ratio so I can figure out how many wings I need.
I'm making 12lbs of food over all if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it I don't wanna overload him with bone or even not give him enough

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell you chicken wings have way too much bone to feed by itself. Please look at this here for a proper and vet approved recipe.

Making Cat Food

Here they give instructions with their nutrient supplement. They have an eggshell formula for the calcium so you can use boneless chicken thighs.

A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements

There are also good grinders out there for less than $200. If you paid for a savannah I figure you can afford this:

Tasin TS-108 Electric Meat Grinder, #12, Stainless Steel, Raw Pet Food Making

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too much bone and you run the rise of urinary blockage. PLEASE look over the links provided above by kittyluv387 and educate yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Savi Obiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm definitely not feeding just the wings by themselves I'm using many different things like liver ground chicken heart all the good stuff but I do need 10% bone and with 12lbs of meat I think i need about 1.2lbs of bone and I buy the packages 1lbs at a time of each thing(weather I use all of the pack or not). I figured 2 packs of wings (2lbs) would be close to the 10% but I don't know the math to double check

Eventually I will be buying a grinder which will make things easier but I don't have the money right at this moment it'll probably be when tax returns come in.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 10% bone isn’t a hard rule. A lot of people on here have lowered it to 7% because the 10% was giving their cats constipation. So be on the lookout for that.

For chicken bone % you can try taking a look at this chart.
Composition of Proteins (Bone, Skin, Fat)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Savi Obiwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the links they did help. Tomorrow I'll get a scale from my job and debone the chicken to make sure I'm feeding the right amount. I'v heard of people varying the bone% a bit before so I'll keep it in mind thank you.