Bone Broth Help...

trisha422

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to make bone broth out of RABBIT bones (the only protien my cats seems to be able to tolerate at the moment).

I looked up how to cook it online. It says that you know when it's done when the bones are soft and easy to break apart. They suggested 8-24 hours.

The bones have been in the crock pot for 28 hours now and they're still hard as rocks!!!
Does anyone know how long rabbit bones take?
Maybe I just have a crummy crockpot??

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I had to guess I would say it's because of the difference between bones in a bird and a mammal. Birds, including chickens have lighter more porous bones. Mammals, of which only a very few fly, have denser stronger bones. I don't know if you can do the same thing with rabbit bones that you can with chicken bones. When I cook chicken carcasses down I boil them, a low boil but still boiling. Maybe your crock pot has to low a temperature.

TNR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a pressure cooker? I have made bone broth in half the time in mine.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure to set your crock pot to its highest temperature. With some crock pots that would require restarting it every few hours, as they normally default to their lowest temperature when set to very long time periods. The bones need somewhat high heat to soften up.