Bonded kittens (6 months) suddenly aggressive with each other.

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My brother adopted two of my bottle fed fosters that i’d cared for since birth almost two months ago. He and his SO asked if I would watch them while they’re on vacation, so last night they dropped them off. I put them in the spare room together and let them out of their carriers. Immediately Rosie started growling and hissing at her sister, Lydia. Lydia was super confused at first. They’ve never fought before. They love each other. But now, whenever they see each other, they growl and hiss. I’ve separated them for now, but after a week they’ll be taken back to my brothers house, and I’m so afraid they won’t get along anymore. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? Any advice is much appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its called redirected aggression. Something stresses a cat. It could be a stranger animal. A loud noise. Or, in this case, being transported by car back to somewhere they haven't been in a long time. Cats don't always seem to have great memories, and don't usually travel well either, so this causing some stress isn't unusual. And in the redirected aggression scenario, a cat responds to the stress by lashing out at whoever and whatever is nearby, including a cat that was formerly a friend. Its a super common cat thing. I can't tell ya / don't know why, it just is.

Yes, separating them a bit until they calm down should help a lot. They will almost certainly be able to get over this on their own unless they fight now and hurt each other, creating bad memories. But by separating them for a bit and watching when you put them back together, you are preventing that. Maybe you can help a bit by digging out some of their old stuff -- blankets, toys, etc. to help make them feel comfortable again.

Since this is just for vacation, you might consider keeping them separated until they go to their current home. Not sure that will prove necessary since this is their old home -- you could wait a day or two, put them together and see how it goes. The important thing is don't allow actual fighting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!! 🙏 I’ll just keep them separated for now then, and hope they get along again once they’re back in their home.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, there is a small clue in your original post. The key phrase is "their carriers" meaning they weren't together during the stressful trip. I can't guaranty that played a role, but conventional wisdom is that this sort of thing is less likely to happen if they cats travel together. There is a common variant, not exactly the same, where if only one goes to the vet and comes back smelling different, it can be a problem, but if both go to the vet together, it is likely the problem is avoided. it might be worth suggesting to your brother to invest in a two cat size carrier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did your brother bring over their thigs - food/water dishes, toys, blankets/towels? If not, and you have access to his house, I would go get these items and give them to the cats. It may help to calm them down with familiar things around them. I would also take towels and rub one of each of the cats, and then rub the towel on the other cat - scent swapping to hopefully help them 'recognize' each other.

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, there is a small clue in your original post. The key phrase is "their carriers" meaning they weren't together during the stressful trip. I can't guaranty that played a role, but conventional wisdom is that this sort of thing is less likely to happen if they cats travel together. There is a common variant, not exactly the same, where if only one goes to the vet and comes back smelling different, it can be a problem, but if both go to the vet together, it is likely the problem is avoided. it might be worth suggesting to your brother to invest in a two cat size carrier.
That makes so much sense. I will definitely tell him to invest in a two cat carrier!

Catstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Did your brother bring over their thigs - food/water dishes, toys, blankets/towels? If not, and you have access to his house, I would go get these items and give them to the cats. It may help to calm them down with familiar things around them. I would also take towels and rub one of each of the cats, and then rub the towel on the other cat - scent swapping to hopefully help them 'recognize' each other.
He brought over a few things, and I think that definitely helped ease some anxiety. It’s so strange because Rosie will hear Lydia meowing and look concerned, but if she sees her she hisses and growls. Just hoping it’ll all resolve once they’re back at his house.