Bonded 4 month old feral boys HELP

22jkemp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently adopted 2 brothers. They were born feral and then trapped by there foster mom at around 3/4 months old. I recently adopted them and need helpful advice on how to gain their trust. They never scratch or bite but the do occasionally hiss. They also run and hide a lot. I have them in the bathroom with all their supply’s. They eat and will take treats from my hand and I’m able to pet/hold them. They are not aggressive at all, just fearful. I want to make them as comfortable as possible with my and my partner. Any advice is appreciated! I’ve googled so many things and they all just give me information for younger kittens. Please help!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say you’re at a very good head start with them. I had brought in 2 kittens who were born to a feral mother cat. I was able to bring them inside when they were about 3 months old. I kept them on our porch until I was able to get them their needed shots. They wouldn’t let me hold them, but in time they got less frightened and would jump on my lap. I would sit with them several times during the day and talk to them. They have been in the house now, mingling with my other indoor cats for 4 months. They are the most loveable kittens. I was able to bring in their mother, she’s been on the porch since October. She’s really feral but has slowly becoming less frightened. Recently she has come close enough to sniff my hand. Someone on this site had mentioned about taping a brush (toothbrush) on a long stick and gradually brush her...she enjoys it and I can hear her purr.
I know it’s a slow process. Hopefully she will let me pet her and when that happens I want to take her to the vet and get her shots and I will bring her inside the house and see how she blends in With my other cats. ( I had her trapped in September and she was spayed). If that happens I really would like to keep her permanently inside, which will make cat #13

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If they were born feral and you are already getting them to eat out of your hand and interact with them, that is huge. I don't know that the age difference is a big thing really. Many claim that 8 weeks is the cutoff for taming a feral kitten but that has never been my experience. It is possible that some of what you have googled is going to work for these cats as well. Mostly, it just takes time and letting them come around in their own way.